Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PBR300x2 Cutting Off -- Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 03:35 PM
2manytoys
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2manytoys
It could be your Polks causing it. The MM series are 2.7 ohm. The amp is rated at 4 ohm only.
Correction I thought your amp was a PBR 300-4 which is 4 ohm only. I see you're running a PBR 300-2 which is 2 ohm. Sorry

Old 05-08-2012, 02:22 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Well I did another test with the tech (Andrew) from Sonic Electronix. He was very patient and helpful.. We did a load test on the amp and it seemed to work okay. I also told him the story about the gain and he agreed with the tech with RF. Here is how the returns usually work with Sonic Electronix. You get a RMA#, ship back the produce to them. They bench test it and if it is bad they send you a new one. The problem is my is working again and seemed to be fine except it was not as powerful as when I first installed it. Everything tested okay... power, ground, load, etc. We did a number of test with my multimeter. Andrew told me if I sent back the amp, it would test okay and then I would get charged for the testing, shipping and then get my amp back. He agreed that something was wrong, but it would not show on a bench test so he agreed to send me a new amp (which I had to pay for until they get the old one back, but I don't mined). I'll get my new amp by this Saturday or Monday of next week. I can just switch out the amp and put the old amp in that box and return it to them. It has been noted on my account as an administrative override to just replace amp without any further testing. I don't know if guys agree, but sounds fair to me. I know crutchfield just sends out replacements with no further issues, but for the price I paid I can't complain..$160.00. When they received the old one, i will get a refund on my card.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:47 PM
mgordyan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds awesome. Good news is, all you have to do is unplug the old and plug in the new. I also had mine gain set at 7, blew the tweets on my Hertz speakers. New speakers in and retuned. It's now just under 5.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:08 PM
gonzo3426
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by murph
Thanks for the input so far. I am running mm651s and no remote wire. No RCAs either. 10 gauge wire to the battery with a 30 amp fuse at the battery end. 10 guage ground screwed to the triple trees where there are already ground wires mounted. I had the gain down to three, but it was not loud enough. It is presently set just above 5 and was working great. All connection have been soldered and heat shrinked.
i have the same setup...gain at 4...no clipping...just rode from VA to CT last weekend all 600 miles...stereo blasting...no clipping...the only difference is our gain setting...good luck, let us know what you find out.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:31 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I got my replacement in yesterday. I was able to install it today. Gain is set at 5 and that gives me great volume control. It was definitely the amp. this one sounds a lot better. I have the old one boxed up and ready to drop off at UPS.

Andrew, Sonic Electronix Tech, was a great help. He always was willing to take my phone calls. I know I had to pay for the new amp and will get it back when the old amp gets back to them. overall, i'm happy.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:15 AM
Craigmier
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

This is a great thread.

Installed pbr300x2 with infinity kappa 62.11s yesterday. Sounded great parked but noticed anything over 50% volume it clips out, but only when driving, not while parked with bike off. I think gain was set to 5.5, will try turning down and hopefully that fixes it.