Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Ohlins installed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 04:13 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New Ohlins installed!

Fedex delivered the Ohlin 2-2B's late yesterday. Got them installed last night and dialed the sag in this AM.

HOLY CRAP! I thought my wife's Road King felt like a Cadillac compared to my stock air shocks. On our ride today I saw her get bounced out of the seat on some nasty bumps that didn't even phase me. I wish I would have done this from the get-go. In utter awe of how awesome it feels. She already wants a pair. I usually ride in front and she judged my bikes reaction to bumps to prepare herself for whatever was coming up.

You truly cannot get a feel for how horrible the stock shocks are until you ride on a set of these. I chose the 2-2b's because I only ride solo. When touring it's point A to Point B, unload then ride.

If riding 2UP and switching to solo frequently I'd definitely recommend the 3's. The quicker adjustment on them would be well worth it.

As others have said, you really feel how badly the front performs once you install the ohlins in the rear.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yup....

I had Progressive 440s and Works Trackers and they also showed how bad the front really is. Got the Ohlins a few years ago and they are so much better than the others.
I 'fixed' the front with new springs and Gold Valves. I know there are so called superior (and more expensive) ways to deal with the front, but I can't find fault with what I have now. In the next couple of weeks I'll finally be getting around to installing a replacement top triple tree clamp and new, longer fork legs I've had sitting around for a year. That ought to make a diff too......I hope anyway.

CN

Old 05-06-2012, 05:53 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SDVmnt
I chose the 2-2b's because I only ride solo.
What's your weight? I'm really close to calling Howard and having a pair set up for me. I'm also leaning towards the 2-2b's.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:03 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb
I had Progressive 440s and Works Trackers and they also showed how bad the front really is. Got the Ohlins a few years ago and they are so much better than the others.
CN
HOLEY SH*T WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? Carry, it has been around a season (winter) since I have last heard anything from you! How have you been feeling and have you fully recovered since three years ago? I do hope all is good for you and you can ride off and leave dust where you use to be. Great seeing you are still doing it.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:13 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master

I'm 205 with a pretty constant 10-15lbs in the bags. I think they're 220 springs whatever that means!

Old 05-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Welcome to the family. I continue to be amazed at how many people settle for the stock air shocks and steer their bucks toward 10 more hp and some kind of associated sound. Each to their own. Enjoy.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:10 AM
SDVmnt
Road Master

I usually have to weave around some nasty railroad tracks on the way to work. There's bumps where the tar has been raised etc.. Today I just drove straight through. Fricking insane. There's still the bump but it's more like crossing a groove in the highway. I can't get over how awesome the ride is.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:21 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

once you go Ohlins you never will go back , and Howard is the man

Old 05-07-2012, 10:32 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Just talked to Howard and now I'm really confused. So maybe someone here can set me on the right path before I call him back.

2011 Road Glide Custom (same back end as a Street Glide) 12" factory shocks.

I weigh 190 and have a 30" inseam, solo ride only. Can't decide between the 2-2a and the 2-2b. Don't want to raise the back any, so the 2a's might be my choice...... but the adjustable sag has me confused, as to which would be the better choice and keep the same ride height.

To the OP..... what's your inseam, and does your bike sit the same with the 2b's as it did with the OEM shocks?

I'm going to do the eye to eye measurement tonight. But would like some layman term guidance.

Last edited by shooter5074; 05-07-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:59 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Good looking bike, nothing like riding on a cloud! : )

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Quick Reply: New Ohlins installed!