Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Super Touring Seat....Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 07:41 AM
JasonInAnnapolis
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mustang Super Touring Seat....Help

Hey Guys. I searched the forum for this any couldn't find what I was looking for. Maybe someone can help.

This is probably a stupid question....but I recently bought a Mustang Super Touring seat, and rode for many months. After feeling a little pain in my back I thought I would try a riders backrest. So Mustangs website says it works with the Harley backrest....and I bought one. After attaching the brackets to the frame I discovered that the seat doesn't have a hole the bottom to push the backrest thru to attach to the bracket.......it's a solid piece of fiberglass. But, on the top of the seat there is an open seam and I can see a thin metal opening...but the backrest will not clip into it. I know i'm going to have a DUH moment when someone helps me with this....but as of right now i'm stumped.

Thanks for your help!!

Old 05-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Nightrain04
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the model # of your seat?

Old 05-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

If I remember correctly, that's the seat with the receiver built into the seat, so you do not install the mounting bracket on the bike for the back rest. I was not aware that the HD backrest would work with it. Contact Mustang, they are great people to deal with.

Their regular touring seats will fit Harley backrest that mounts to the bike and goes "thru" the seat. the "super touring" have solid baseplate and back rest receiver built into the seat.

Last edited by Weavr99FLHT; 05-06-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Not sure but I think that the backrest that goes with the adjustable mount looks like it would fit. As you found out the seat already has the receiver built in for a backrest. I have the super tour with the mustang backrest.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:57 AM
JRandall
Cruiser

I thought that seat was made with a hole that went all the way through, but I know mustang also makes seats the the backrest hardware inside the seat instead of bolted to the fender, and those seats will only accept mustang backrests. Don't know how old your seat is but may be that newer seats were changed to accept either one and older seats would only accept mustang backrest. Have also been told that if it dosen't have the hole it can't be added due to the seat pan being so much differant.

Sorry, maybe you can return the HD and buy a mustang.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:58 AM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced my stock seat to a Mustang lowdown touring seat, and I don't see how the HD rider backrest will work with Mustang seat.
You may have to return the HD backrest, and buy the Mustang backrest.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Nightrain04
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will it only work with Mustangs backrest with pad and Post?

http://www.mustangseats.com/Product/...HTFLTRFLHRFLHX

Old 05-06-2012, 08:04 AM
JasonInAnnapolis
Intermediate

Not exactly sure of the model #.....I think it's the 79538. But that says (on their website) the seat bottom is slotted to accept the bracket. But mine is definitely solid on the bottom.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:15 AM
KW-HD Rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the super touring mustang seat on my 08 ultra and it only works with a mustang back rest as this seat sits back 1.5 inches from stock. The regular mustang touring seat will work with the harley back rest, or at least it did on my 08 ultra.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Mustang Seats
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Jason: Mustang's #79538 is a one-piece "Super" touring seat that sits the driver 1.75" back. Unlike some of our other one-piece seats that have an area under the baseplate for mounting either the Mustang or the HD backrest "kit", the 79538 has the "receiver" for our Mustang driver backrest built into it (like the headrest in your car seat--you just need to purchase pad and post, what you can pull out of your car seat). That is why this seat will not take the HD or the Mustang driver backrest kit. Please contact us at 800-243-1392 for info on purchasing the actual backrest pad and post separately. We'll try to clarify the info on our website today. Thanks! http://www.mustangseats.com/Product/...HTFLTRFLHRFLHX

Quick Reply: Mustang Super Touring Seat....Help