Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road glide windshield

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Grapnel
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 14" ceebaily that works good. i am 5'8 and wish that i had gone bigger or smaller. the top is right in my line of sight. i laso have a 12" windvest that looks good and works well around town

Old 03-03-2013, 11:11 PM
Jan-Peter
Stage II

Hi, I have purchased a used 2011 cvo road glide ultra. One of six in southern Africa. My last bike was a 2011 ultra limited. Used the tallest HD windshield available and was happy. One trip for about 6000 km in 12 days from Cape Town to Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe (Victoria Falls) etc. Watching elefants and many more african animals from the bike. Listening to music and enjoying every moment.

In my opinion the standard Road Glide is a disgrace for Harley Davidson. I am 6'02" tall. The speed limit in South Africa and neighboring countries is 120 km/h - about 75 mph. The common speed we use is about 140 km/h. Originating from Germany I love to use the maximum speed of the bike. This was the main reason to switch the tuned 103 couch to a CVO.
But the road glide should come standard with 2 extra wheels at the rear tyre, the warning not to exceed 30 mph and riders to be not taller than 4'.
HD should take all those bikes back for an upgrade. Using normal speed the view is disturbed dangerously. Trying to reach max speed my head feels like shaking off. Here at the Cape of Good Hope we experience a lot of gusty winds. To ride the RG is a pain.To liston to music you need ear-killing volume.
In the Harley Chapter that I have joined some years ago, we must use proper gear including full helmets. As road marshalls we use the CB for communication. On the road glide impossible.

I do not own a Harley to show off or place the bike in the living room. Given the time and weather, it will be used every day.

After reading many pages from Road Glide owners about the windshield problem I cannot understand that HD is not responding.
I love my bike. I love the ease the torque and will not give up because HD is not delivering a roadworthy windshield when purchasing that bike. I will try the Madstad windshield. No compromise for looks. Hopefully they deliver what they promise.

An angry Harley fanatic. (2 x Sporty, Street Bob, V-Rod, Street Glide, Ultra to RG)

Old 03-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Clearview Shields
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hi All...surprised no one's looking at our Clearview Shields

Hi All...after 27 years designing and manufacturing windshields, Road Glide riders worldwide rave about, and rate our shields as excellent both in terms of appearance and more importantly, in performance.

Feel free to check out our website or give me a call or email. I'd be glad to give my input...

Ride safe all...

Old 03-06-2013, 01:06 AM
Jan-Peter
Stage II

OK, I understand very well that a company praises their own product.

Concerning the windshield problem of the RG I have been very careful not to fall to company ads when reading all the different opinions.

But in general this should not be a problem. It is like a car company is selling their product with a piece of plastic bag instead of a windscreen. Without saying, making sure that you should buy a proper screen from the aftermarket.

I have tried to find a position on my bike, where the wind does affect me in a normal manner on a premium product like the Road Glide from Harley Davidson. With me dimensions I need to try kissing the tank cover.

Does HD not test the bikes with normal people who might want to purchase the bike?

I would like to kick the backsides of those friendly journalists writing about the bike when it came onto the market.

Thinking of an aftermarket windshield you should concentrate on things like projecting speed, temperatures or whatever else on to the screen. But not about essential features like riding the bike safely.

Last edited by Jan-Peter; 03-06-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:30 AM
MAJOR
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Cee bailey for me. Looks and performs the best.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:31 AM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

I have the Clearview on my RGU. It's the one I removed from my 08 RG before trading it in. It works well for me. Also you may want to try a pair of Sanchos Wings. They are a forum sponsor on the RG website. My windshield has the vent at the bottom, it helps reduce the vacum at the base of the shield. Hope this helps you out. A fork baffle my be of some benefit too.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Clearview Shields
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clearview Shields

Originally Posted by Jan-Peter
OK, I understand very well that a company praises their own product.

Concerning the windshield problem of the RG I have been very careful not to fall to company ads when reading all the different opinions.

But in general this should not be a problem. It is like a car company is selling their product with a piece of plastic bag instead of a windscreen. Without saying, making sure that you should buy a proper screen from the aftermarket.

I have tried to find a position on my bike, where the wind does affect me in a normal manner on a premium product like the Road Glide from Harley Davidson. With me dimensions I need to try kissing the tank cover.

Does HD not test the bikes with normal people who might want to purchase the bike?

I would like to kick the backsides of those friendly journalists writing about the bike when it came onto the market.

Thinking of an aftermarket windshield you should concentrate on things like projecting speed, temperatures or whatever else on to the screen. But not about essential features like riding the bike safely.
Hi Jan-Peter. I wasn't promoting a company ad. I was responding because thousands of RG riders worldwide love the performance of our shields. Not only are we confident on the performance, we send each shield with a masking allowing you to test ride the shield - if it doesn't perform to expectations, you can return/exchange it with no questions asked. Sorry you took a negative thought to my post - I was actually trying to help, as I do with RG riders every day. Most orders we receive are the result of people searching the forums and not finding any negative comments regarding the performance of our shields or their performance.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:44 AM
fripple
Road Warrior

WindVest is what I used as well. I LOVED it!!!

Old 03-06-2013, 05:32 PM
fltruseluvr
3rd Gear
Default switched from stock to Windvest

Originally Posted by satman
Got a 10 inch windvest clear - I am 5'7" and 30" inseam the 10 inch is perfect for my 2012 RG custom - no buffeting
I'm 5'10" and 32" inseam, and the 10" windvest was perfect. It hits me about the chin but I don't feel any wind hitting the top of my head. Wife hasn't complained either. I went with the "smoke" tint, mostly for looks. My CVO has the "wind baffles" on the forks below the fairing. No buffeting and the stereo is fine at 75 mph +.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:44 AM
Eckcn17
Novice

I have the 10" windvest smoked, love the look, but I'm just a bit too tall for it (6ft). It sucks, because Personally, I think any taller starts to diminish the look for me.

Anyway, mine is for sale if anyone is interested !

I think I will need to be in the 13" range..

Quick Reply: Road glide windshield