Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road glide windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 06:05 AM
RATFINK53
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 12" long ride shield Ultra on my 12 FLHX. I'm 6'1 and I like it. I will probably go with the clear next time as the med tint is a little dark at times.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:45 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Recurve windshields work best for wind control. Windvest was the first to get into recurve shields about 15 years ago. I've owned both Cee Bailey & Windvest recurves, their both top quality products. I also purchased two Clearview shields. Neither of them worked, but Clearview did refund all but the shipping costs. Good customer service. I'm currently running a Windvest on both bikes. Most of the sites have measuring instructions. You'll have to do your own measuring to be sure the windshield will fit you. Since I ride with sunglasses in the daytime I never saw a need for a tinted windshield.......

Old 05-06-2012, 06:52 AM
Ohiobellboy
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

If you're short enough, I have a 10" windvest in light smoke that didn't work for me (right at 6' with the stock seat). I've since switched to a 12" Klockwerks that suits me better.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:55 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PFWiz
While this is a great forum for general HD things if you want to talk Road Glides you need to take a look at roadglide.org.

http://www.roadglide.org/

They have entire sections about wind shields and wind management for sharks....
Thanks for the link. As a new RG owner, I look forward to exploring all the possibilities and potential with the RGU.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:21 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jinks
Recurve windshields work best for wind control. Windvest was the first to get into recurve shields about 15 years ago. I've owned both Cee Bailey & Windvest recurves, their both top quality products. I also purchased two Clearview shields. Neither of them worked, but Clearview did refund all but the shipping costs. Good customer service. I'm currently running a Windvest on both bikes. Most of the sites have measuring instructions. You'll have to do your own measuring to be sure the windshield will fit you. Since I ride with sunglasses in the daytime I never saw a need for a tinted windshield.......
A friend of mine put the HD Windspliiter windshield on his '12 RGU, and complains about the buffeting and getting too much wind in his face. My impression of the Windsplitter is it's more about appearance than function.

I am pretty impressed with the stock windshield on my RGU, but think there's room for improvement. I'm definitely going to research the Windvest, Cee Bailey and even the Clearview. But your comments about Clearview certainly will be on my mind. The windshield will be on my list for future upgrades as finances permit.

I want something that gives me maximum protection but adds to the appearance of the bike (or least doesn't look dorky/detract from the look of the bike).

Old 05-06-2012, 08:27 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master

Originally Posted by skinz44
I purchased the National Cycle Part #: N20423 *VStream® Replacement Windscreen; Low*
for my 2012 FLTRX after about 4k miles with the stock shield. This particular windshield with the dark tint did not take away from the "look" of the stock shield but added quite a bit of comfort. It is no where near as calm when compared to the stock windshield on my old '07 FLTR but I can hear the stock stereo and I am not forced to wear a full face helmet just so I can breathe at 80 mph. I love my VStream® Windscreen Low. You can purchase from J&P and they might even have a floor model / used but perfect shape and they are way cheap. I got mine for just under $100. Hope this helps.
I have purchaased from J&P before, and will check out the windshields. thanks for the tip.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Brettcr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also consider whether or not you will be riding 2 up. I am 5'8" and have a few shields (Keep in mind though that if you are wanting wind... a large portion of wind also comes up from under the fairing by the tank. Lowers and a better shield would stop that.). The best quality of the shields i own is a winvest. Have a couple Klocks, an off name, and a Windvest. The 12" Klocks works well for me in regards of all wind. But the passenger gets beat badly. When the wife wants to ride with instead of her own she hated the Klocks. Went to the 10" windvest and she likes it better. She gets the wind (which is not an issue cause she gets it worse on her own.) but it isn't directed around my head right into her face. Me peronally, the 10" gunsmoke Wndvest is the one that stays on all the time now. It doesn't vibrate where the Klocks do. Thicker better quality. It throws the wind just over my head cause i slouch. Looks great too (my opininon on that one). At 5'8"... if i rode with the 12" i wouldn't feel anything and the top of it would be right below eye line. Be extremely happy with the 10" thanks to the recurve.

Good luck on your search!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

One of my co-workers just put one of these on his 2012 RG Ultra. It's the slickest thing in a windshield I have seen yet.

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.2136/.f

Old 11-21-2012, 09:07 AM
Hulzy
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windshield RG

Check out Freedom Shields - they just started making shields for the RG. Great people great customer service - ask for John. They are running a Black Friday special 20% off. I just ordered a 12" will post pics soon. http://www.freedomshields.net/

Old 11-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Neckball
One of my co-workers just put one of these on his 2012 RG Ultra. It's the slickest thing in a windshield I have seen yet.

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.2136/.f
Go straight to this one... and you won't have 5-6 sitting around collecting dust.

Really please with mine.

Beav

Quick Reply: Road glide windshield