Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Road Glide Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 10:01 PM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile New Road Glide Ultra

Well, I did it. Pulled the trigger and traded in my '04 Electra Glide Ultra on a 2012 Road Glide Ultra. I have the fans of the RG on the Touring forum to thank for it-THANK YOU!!!

I was a die hard EG man. I ride a FLHTP 40+ hours a week on the job, and loved my red Ultra. but after reading a lot of posts by HDF members extolling the virtues of the Road glide, I started looking at them seriously, and what I saw I liked-a lot! Went to a dealer about 40 miles from home that I'd heard good things about, and they had a black RGU on the showroom floor. When I took a similar one (red sunglow) for a test ride it knocked my socks off. Then when they offered me a couple thousand over KBB for my '04, as well as sweetening the pot with some nice extras, I had to go for the deal. A phone call to my credit union secured a great interest rate, and two days later (Thursday) I rode home on my new black beauty.

I ordered the new "black ice" Airstrike wheels, heated grips and a black tourpack rack, which will be installed at the 1000 mile service along with the Motolights and Authentic air horn from the '04. I'm ordering a new set of Hyperlights for the back and it will be complete-for now, that is!

I've joined the ranks of Road Glide owners, and understand now what they've been talking about. Can't wait to start putting some serious miles on this bike, and am starting at 7:30 tomorrow morning with ride with a couple of friends to Highland HD in Somerset PA.

Attached Thumbnails New Road Glide Ultra-gedc0860.jpg   New Road Glide Ultra-gedc0852.jpg   New Road Glide Ultra-gedc0863.jpg   New Road Glide Ultra-gedc0856.jpg   New Road Glide Ultra-gedc0858.jpg  

Old 05-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new scoot. I traded in my Limited for my RGC a few ekes ago, got hooked after test riding one.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Congrats on the new ride.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm jealous. (REALLY jealous!!) Nice ride. Post up some pics when you get the wheels on.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Airborne Limited
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Pgh on the new scoot. I'm not a big fan of the shark nose but to each his own. Feel free to PM me to discuss any any more add-ons. Ride safe brother!

Old 05-04-2012, 10:30 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire-Medic
Congrats on the new scoot. I traded in my Limited for my RGC a few ekes ago, got hooked after test riding one.
Could give us more details?

I'm seriously thinking about a 2013 Limited.
What does the RGU offer that is better than the Limited?

Old 05-04-2012, 10:32 PM
ThePointman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on joining the fugly club! I love mine.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:12 PM
PopsHD
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 88 Posts

Congrats! Now let the mods begin.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:21 PM
05LowRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congratulations on the new ride! No, wait, wha....you did what??? You bought one of them fugly bikes??? Don't you know they're the worst? I mean with the horrible buffeting, rediculous frame mounted fairing that looks like hell, a radio that's too far away to reach the buttons, and headlights that don't move in the direction of the handle bars!!!

Old 05-04-2012, 11:21 PM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
Could give us more details?

I'm seriously thinking about a 2013 Limited.
What does the RGU offer that is better than the Limited?
HD doesn't offer the Road Glide in a Limited version as it does the Electra Glide. The RGU is equipped essentially the same as a EGU. To get it to the same trim level as an EG Limited you would have to add some accessories from the HD parts catalog. The RGU is similar to the EG limited in that it does not have saddlebag rails though.

The primary difference between a RG and an EG is the fixed fairing vs. the batwing. The Road Glide Ultra is dedicated long distance touring bike, even more so than the EG. The fixed fairing provides rock solid stability at highway speeds, and is affected far less by crosswinds & buffeting from car/truck wakes. After riding Road Kings and then Electra Glides (FLHTP & Ultra) for years, the difference was immediately and pleasingly noticeable!

Some call the Road Glide "fugly", but it is a beautful machine in its own right, a no sh-t dedicated tourer. Can't wait to put the first 50,000 miles on her! I'll miss my '04 EG Ultra, my red beauty, but now have a sleek black beauty to carry on in her place-hence my nickname for her of "Ultra II".

Last edited by PghCycle24; 05-04-2012 at 11:24 PM. Reason: typos

Quick Reply: New Road Glide Ultra