Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Fairing Experiment

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 03:11 PM
birdmandave
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lower Fairing Experiment

Took the lowers of the UC, to see if any difference in airflow and ride. Lots of air on the legs, puffed up pant legs on pegs. Maybe its just me, but seemed like handling was not the same. Also the fricken heat coming up about fried me. Anyone ever try this?

Live & Learn

Old 05-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by birdmandave
Took the lowers of the UC, to see if any difference in airflow and ride. Lots of air on the legs, puffed up pant legs on pegs. Maybe its just me, but seemed like handling was not the same. Also the fricken heat coming up about fried me. Anyone ever try this?

Live & Learn
I pull my lowers off every year about the first week of May. A couple of days ago I repeated the procedure. Without the lower fairings in place the amount of wind rushing up from my knees to my chest is very significant. That is exactly the reason that I remove the lowers when it starts to get hot. That extra breeze is very much appreciated when the ambient air temperature gets up between 85 and 95 degrees like it is now. Another mod I do is to remove the air dam located between the front forks in hot weather. Without the air dam in place the wind coming off the front fender cleans out the hotter stale air which congregates around the heads. It is not a lot, but it is noticeable.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:39 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
I pull my lowers off every year about the first week of May. A couple of days ago I repeated the procedure. Without the lower fairings in place the amount of wind rushing up from my knees to my chest is very significant. That is exactly the reason that I remove the lowers when it starts to get hot. That extra breeze is very much appreciated when the ambient air temperature gets up between 85 and 95 degrees like it is now. Another mod I do is to remove the air dam located between the front forks in hot weather. Without the air dam in place the wind coming off the front fender cleans out the hotter stale air which congregates around the heads. It is not a lot, but it is noticeable.
+1 Saved me a lot of typing ..

Old 05-04-2012, 03:53 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Lowers in Florida ?????!!!!?????? Hahaha! Up here in Wisconsin, we keep ours on until the end of spring, July 29, then put them on when fall starts, Aug. 2.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:34 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I written on this before:

my testing in PHX shows reduced oil temps ( measured at the pan) with the Lowers on.

105º day, 18 mile loop, lowers off, lower on.

25º cooler oil with them on.

No oil cooler, this is attributable to more order air flow into and across the cooling fins

However the increased air flow ( which is removing more heat) may give more of a "blow dryer effect", this is not a problem for me.

Mike

Old 05-04-2012, 04:43 PM
hedotwo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like cleaning the bugs off my lowers. That's why I keep em' on.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Hayhoss
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya, the lowers tend to catch the bugs and rocks ! But they do complement the Ultra's look. As mkguitar said, and I agree totally, the lowers "funnel" the air thru. GOTA LOVE THESE HARLEYS

Old 05-04-2012, 05:14 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I take mine off when it gets warm ~above 70* lol. I don't have an oil temp gauge but my CHT are lower with them off and I personally feel better having lower CHT vs oil temps I figure I use a good synthetic (mb1 vtwin) it can handle the oil temps. My body also feels much better without the added heat the lowers bring. (2011 RGU). 'sides the bike looks much better without them. I have yet to be hit witha bug or rock that left a mark in over 300,000 miles lol.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:24 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

........ opened the vents for the 1st time in '12 this afternoon ........ summer must be a'comin' !

Old 05-04-2012, 05:29 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 421 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by frog13
Lowers in Florida ?????!!!!?????? Hahaha! Up here in Wisconsin, we keep ours on until the end of spring, July 29, then put them on when fall starts, Aug. 2.
Sounds like a Canadian summer - August 1st from 12:00pm - 2:30pm.

Quick Reply: Lower Fairing Experiment