Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Inner Primary Cover Trim - Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 09:41 PM
PhoneGuy-MI
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Inner Primary Cover Trim - Issues?

I am thinking about buying and installing the HD chrome inner primary cover and before I went out and purchased it, I wanted to see if anyone had issues with moisture getting under this cover or any other feedback (good or bad).

Chrome Inner Primary Cover

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by PhoneGuy-MI; 05-04-2012 at 07:33 AM. Reason: spelling.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:32 AM
PhoneGuy-MI
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I posted this I did a search on this part and the information that was out there was a couple of years old and I guess that nothing has changed since thin. Folks talked about the difficulty installing due to the header and also the preference to just spend 3x the amount in parts and buying a chrome primary.
I was just wondering if after years of use, any water gets in under the cover and causes any problems but since nobody replied I take it that this does not occur.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:41 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

HAve that this for over two years and no problems at all. Install is easy. Any moisture is burned off by engine heat but is no different than any water in any undryable areas.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:44 AM
fenderzig
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too have the cover and have had no problems with it. In fact, I took it off recently when I did my compensator upgrade and everything looked fine!

Old 05-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I have not heard of any chrome issues. I believe this may actually be a Kuryakyn part, H-D sometimes sells Kury parts as H-D parts. Personally I would go with the chrome inner primary itself, not a chrome cover, as it looks better and less gaudy, but that is just my opinion. If your bike is a 2010 or earlier then a SE compensator could also be put in at the same time. Of course this all is much more money than the chrome trim.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:10 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

The HD inner primary cover trim is actually a Kuryakyn product. I bought it from Kuryakyn in 2009 and HD added it to their catalog a year or 2 ago.
I don't have a problem with it, no moisture, no rust, no flaking, nothing.
It is 1/2 the price of the real inner cover from HD and it installs in minutes. The HD cover requires taking the primary cover apart and that's a bigger project. I agree that the real stuff is more elegant but the chrome trim looks very good too.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:21 AM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guntoter posted a great picture of his H-D primary cover; anyone have one they could post with the Kuryakyn/H-D Primary Cover Trim as a comparison?

Old 05-04-2012, 08:27 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
Guntoter posted a great picture of his H-D primary cover; anyone have one they could post with the Kuryakyn/H-D Primary Cover Trim as a comparison?
Here is a pic of the Kuryakyn primary trim on my bike. You can also see the Kuryakyn cylinder base cover.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:30 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
Not the best shots, but it may help.

Last edited by flyingace; 05-04-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:59 AM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Had one on my 2010 Ultra. When I sold that bike to get my Trike the buyer wanted it as part of the deal so I left it on. It was the first thing I bought for the Trike. No problems with either one.

Quick Reply: Chrome Inner Primary Cover Trim - Issues?