Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 FLHTK Stock Stereo FM sounds better than iPod

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Da Shadow
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 FLHTK Stock Stereo FM sounds better than iPod

I'm using my iPod through the aux plug with a double ended 3 mm RCA jack. The FM radio stations are louder, crisper, and better sounding than the iPod. I know it is not the way I stored the music on the iPod because I used one of the higher bit rate methods and it sounds great over my stereo and on a Bose docking station I have for it. Is this normal? Thanks

Old 05-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Da Shadow
I'm using my iPod through the aux plug with a double ended 3 mm RCA jack. The FM radio stations are louder, crisper, and better sounding than the iPod. I know it is not the way I stored the music on the iPod because I used one of the higher bit rate methods and it sounds great over my stereo and on a Bose docking station I have for it. Is this normal? Thanks
Don't know if it's the issue for you, but when I had my Ultra and first went the same route to hear my iPod, I had to adjust some of the audio settings on the epode unit itself. IE: bass, treble, etc.

Worth a shot......

Old 05-03-2012, 11:36 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Make sure the cable is seating good on the head unit on the bike, then adjust audio properties on the IPOD. Should sound good.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:39 AM
big TYME
Cruiser

It's not normal to me. My Fm sucks(hidden ant). My iPod is loud and clear now that I bought the right cable. Don't use a cable that plugs into the headphone jack on top. Go to eBay and spend 5 bucks on the cable that hooks into the bottom of ur iPod. It then splits off and goes tos ur aux jack and USB. It works awesome for me. I bought an extra cig lighter charger and spliced it into the factory wires. Zip tied it inside the fairing. Ran my iPod cable down the bar and into the ignition cap. From there I ran the USB to the charger inside the fairing and aux plug out the side of the ignition fairing to the stereo. Bought a waterproof mount off eBay for 20 bucks. Looks and works great. All for 25 bucks. I love it. The reason for the distorted sound is that the headphone jack is amplified. If u want to use that jack then go to the settings in ur iPod and set the eq to flat or off. This post is from my experience. Good luck.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:43 AM
big TYME
Cruiser

It's not normal to me. My Fm sucks(hidden ant). My iPod is loud and clear now that I bought the right cable. Don't use a cable that plugs into the headphone jack on top. Go to eBay and spend 5 bucks on the cable that hooks into the bottom of ur iPod. It then splits off and goes to ur aux jack and USB. It works awesome for me. I bought an extra cig lighter charger and spliced it into the factory wires on the cig outlet. Zip tied it inside the fairing. Ran my iPod cable down the bar and into the ignition cap. From there I ran the USB to the charger inside the fairing and aux plug out the side of the ignition fairing to the stereo. Bought a waterproof mount off eBay for 20 bucks. Looks and works great. All for 25 bucks. I love it. The reason for the distorted sound is that the headphone jack is amplified. If u want to use that jack then go to the settings in ur iPod and set the eq to flat or off. This post is from my experience. Good luck.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:44 AM
big TYME
Cruiser

Damn iPhone. Posts twice. Sorry

Old 05-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Mine sounds fine. I never listen to the radio or CDs. I have an Ipod mount on the handlebar, with a 12" cord from Radio Shack between it, and the AUX port. I also turn my Ipod volume up, but not quite all the way. I wonder if it's the cord between the Ipod & the jack?

Old 05-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Da Shadow
Tourer

I have a real long cord. I couldn't find a six foot cord local so I used a twenty foot cord to run it back to my tour pack. That could be part of the problem. Thanks for the ideas guys I'm gonna try them out.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Da Shadow
I have a real long cord. I couldn't find a six foot cord local so I used a twenty foot cord to run it back to my tour pack. That could be part of the problem. Thanks for the ideas guys I'm gonna try them out.

On my old Ultra, I ran a windshield pouch up front, got a 6ft cord from Walmart, and would go that route. It was crystal clear once I dialed in my settings on the iPod.

You state the cord is run back to the TP, might be pinched somewhere, just something else to check.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.