Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawg Wired... Kudos...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:07 AM
Joltergeist
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hawg Wired... Kudos...

Just finished installing my HawgWired 6.5's, crossovers, a new Alpine head unit... (from Crutchfield) and have to say for the simple upgrade and for the price, I'm very impressed with the sound improvement.

I could hear the stock unit at speed, but it had no depth, but this setup, without an amp, is just fine... bass (I used Dynamat in the outer fairing) and great mid, and crisp highs...

Thanks HawgWired!

Old 05-03-2012, 07:29 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hawgwired makes a great product, I had them until recently, I'm still using the DIN install kit for my head unit, I just decided to try something else for the rest, we'll see if it stands up like the Hawgwired did.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:17 AM
BrownSanta
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

did you take any pics of the install?

Old 05-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Joltergeist
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BrownSanta
did you take any pics of the install?
I did not, but I assure you, it was PLUG AND PLAY. There was one velcro patch for each crossover, and placement was the most creative part of this install. Literally, from the HW DIN Tray/Bracket and Universal Wiring Harness to their speakers and mounts, it was all plug and play. I had to fix one bum spade connector that came with the wiring supplied with the HW speakers, but that was simple and no biggie... I have complete handlebar control, and functionality of the head unit.

Everything could only be plugged into ONE place... i.e.: you can't even mix up the polarity of the speaker wires... it didn't require a single spliced wire... but note: I used no amps, I'm running on the Alpine CDE-HD138BT's internal amp to the 6.5's. (It's rated 18w RMS-no idea peak...) from Crutchfield. It's not marine, but I got the face cover from biketronics... and in the fairing the innards are well protected, but not completely waterproof...

No additional wire runs were required for my setup, intentionally. As I said, the loudness of stock was more than acceptable to me, but the sound quality was my goal here. And I'm definitely satisfied with these results. It's not my home or car stereo... but there's TONS more sound quality and it certainly is louder than stock, by far. Dynamat on the inside of the outer fairing made a big difference too, I love Dynamat and use it in all my vehicles...

Its so simple, someone could walk thru the install over the phone... really the most "difficult" part of the install (if you consider this difficult) is dealing with taking off and putting on the outer fairing.

Last edited by Joltergeist; 05-03-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:07 AM
JKSHYT
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

How's that Alpine holding up?
Considering that same one...

Old 02-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Joltergeist
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JKSHYT
How's that Alpine holding up?
Considering that same one...
Overall, love it... sound quality and features are as always, Alpine quality...

However, I have 2 issues:
- its not a marine unit... I have the biketronics cover... works perfect.
- I use an iPhone 5. The latest version of iOS uses a different BlueTooth version... the audio plays, bt there is no music control... this is due to be fixed by Alpine ... according to them, they say "Soon". But they have been saying soon for 2+ months...

Otherwise, LOVE the headunit. I haven't used a CD in it... I only use it for the Bluetooth... and occasional USB connection.. the controls work with USB...

If I could do it again, I'd get the equivalent marine Alpine... Oversight on my part.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:25 AM
JKSHYT
Tourer

Do they make a marine equiv?
A what model?

Old 02-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Joltergeist
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JKSHYT
Do they make a marine equiv?
A what model?
I don't know the model number, but their web site will have it...

Old 02-05-2013, 10:29 AM
JKSHYT
Tourer
Old 02-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Joltergeist
Cruiser

Now I remember what turned me off to the marine units... they're almost all WHITE...

Quick Reply: Hawg Wired... Kudos...