Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 download?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012 | 09:28 AM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Originally Posted by St Glide
What is the xied's?
http://nightrider.com/

Old 05-03-2012 | 09:51 AM
PWFD
Road Master

I'm a big fan of the download from HD. For $150 and if your dealer gives you a discount on Parts the Download is a Part. I've run SE Heavy Breather on my last bike with V&H OP Slip-ons and the download and worked great. Now on my 2012 RG I have the SE Ventilator just put the Rinehart 4" slip-ons and the download and it's running like a top. I've never done motor work or removed the cat on my bikes so I'm guessing this is why I've had such good luck. I think if you are going to remove the cat or do any engine mods the $150 download might not be your best choice. But if you are like me and many others who are looking for pipes an AC of some sort and to all around make the bike run better I think you'll be happy with the download.

T

Old 05-03-2012 | 10:25 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

The dealer download is an utter waste of money. It's still EPA approved and doesn't do much other than raise the rev limiter.
Your bike has oxygen sensors. They read the exhaust gasses and compensate with more fuel when it senses a lean condition,therefore for just pipes and a/c the fuel injection system will compensate by adding more fuel.
Now these bikes are detuned right from the factory so a dynotune,if your tuner is competent,will get a few more hp out of a stock bike. With pipes and a/c a dynotune should net you about 15-20 hp/tq. Even a completely stock bike will see a 10hp/tq improvement.
So I personally would get it dynotuned and would buy a tuner,whether it's a tts,pcv,sert,any of these will allow you to grow. Xied's and a fuel pak do nothing but richen the fuel mix. They are basically the same as rejetting a carb.
I had a fuel pak and contacted v&h countless times because of popping on decel or major backfiring. They told me there was nothing they could do about it and had to accept one or the other. I said I will accept neither and bought a pcv. They make great pipes but the fuel pak is a pos.
A dynotune will extract every possible hp out of your motor so if you are going to spend money why only go halfway.
Power is a funny thing. Once you get a few extra ponies you will want more and more so why buy stuff that only does half the job. You bought a Harley,why cheap out now

Old 05-03-2012 | 07:47 PM
St Glide
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 3/4 life crisis
This states this is for 2007 Nd newer. My bike is a 2006.

Old 05-03-2012 | 07:53 PM
St Glide
|
Cruiser

Your bike has oxygen sensors. They read the exhaust gasses and compensate with more fuel when it senses a lean condition,therefore for just pipes and a/c the fuel injection system will compensate by adding more fuel.

My bike is a 2006 and does not have oxygen sensors I think that started in 2007. I may be wrong.

Old 05-03-2012 | 08:26 PM
EG-2006
Tourer

06 SG does not have oxygen sensors. I would recommend a tuner to richen up the mixture. In fact I have a Cobra FI2000 for an 06 that I no longer need. Its a basic tuner that will only richen the mixture and is adjustable. I'd let it go for less than the cost of the download. Email me if you're interested jnsb3@frontier.com.

Old 05-03-2012 | 08:41 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior

if your using the egg cover on the stage one...thats the cuase of the hesitation. the egg cover draws hot engine heated air. Harley does this to run hot and easier meet EPA goals. throw the cover in your side bag and see how it runs that way.

Old 05-03-2012 | 09:01 PM
colosg
6th Gear

I to have a 06 SG with a SE stage 1 and Vance and Hines pipes with a stage 1 Harley Down Load It runs great. A harley shop here where I live did a base line test for me and he told me it's fine. He can get it better but I would not notice anything different.

Old 05-03-2012 | 09:05 PM
CHGO5OH
Tourer

I have a stageI download and I thought it was the chit until I rode my father-in-laws which was dyno tuned. He kicks my *** all the time! I can never catch up to him. Both are 09's and he has the stock slip ons which the scoot was dyno tuned to jackpots. The throttle response is soooo much better. If I would have known this when I got my scoot, I would have paid extra to get it on the dyno. Just my .02 cents....

Old 05-03-2012 | 10:51 PM
St Glide
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
if your using the egg cover on the stage one...thats the cuase of the hesitation. the egg cover draws hot engine heated air. Harley does this to run hot and easier meet EPA goals. throw the cover in your side bag and see how it runs that way.
I did not give that any thought. I will try that.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 download?