Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AirHawk seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 08:10 AM
2manytoys
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an Airhawk cushion and love it. As others have said, many people over inflate them and thats not good. When I setup for a long trip I slide a jack under the bike just enough to hold it from falling over then adjust the air in the cushion so my butt is a 1/4" to 1/2" off the seat. I also swap to a windsield that is a smidge taller to compensate for the added hieght. Keep in mind changes in atmospheric pressure and temperature will change the pressure in the cushion either up or down. I had this happen going over Wolf's pass in Colarado. By the time I got to the top of the pass I was a full inch off the seat.

As a side benefit the cushion adds ventilation and keeps your butt dryer.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:43 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,711 Likes on 1,372 Posts

My Airhawk story.

In 2005 with a stock seat, I left my home outside Seattle for West Yellowstone. 723 miles later my *** was so sore I was standing on the floorboards as I rode 191 in the dark. The next day at an overlook, I meet a couple from Michigam. He had a airhawk cushion. He told me about it and recommended it. I ordered one immediately.

It makes the difference for all rides. If I am just riding 300+ miles on a one day trip the Mustang is fine by itself. If I add the Alaska Sheepskin pad, then maybe 500 is not a problem. But if I am cruising multiple 300 to 700 mile days, the airhawk makes it possible with comfort.

I have the Airhawk medium cruiser. It has worked on several seats and several bikes and makes 1000 mile days possible even though 700+ is the max I have done in one day. I think it is worth the investment if you do not have a custom seat, that means one that was designed and built by someone like Rich's expressly for your butt.

If I am going to use the airhawk, I take my Mustang off and use it with the stock seat as it fits on that seat better. It will raise you up an 1/2" or so. I keep mine soft.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:20 PM
jackloganbill
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done two 500+ mile days and numerous 200+ mile days with the stock seat, no problem with the beaded pad. But after reading this thread, I just spent $150 on the Airhawk. For my 6'2" 210 pound body the stock EGC seat is actually a pretty good fit and comfortable with the exception of monkey butt burn. But if the Airhawk is all it is said to be, it is a bargain at $150. We'll see..

Thanks for identifying additional ways to spend my money.

JackL

Old 05-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jackloganbill
I've done two 500+ mile days and numerous 200+ mile days with the stock seat, no problem with the beaded pad. But after reading this thread, I just spent $150 on the Airhawk. For my 6'2" 210 pound body the stock EGC seat is actually a pretty good fit and comfortable with the exception of monkey butt burn. But if the Airhawk is all it is said to be, it is a bargain at $150. We'll see..

Thanks for identifying additional ways to spend my money.

JackL
Something I found by accident that helps "me" with the butt burn is the under armor type boxer briefs. I first wore them a few years back on a long day ride because of the heat, don't like a full day with wet drawers, lol. Butt it turns out helps with the butt burn too, and you don't get the usual bunching up of the under garment.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:18 PM
kfstreetglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered a weekday 2 up, i hope it is as comfortable cuz it wasnt cheap!

Old 05-06-2012, 06:27 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire-Medic
Something I found by accident that helps "me" with the butt burn is the under armor type boxer briefs. I first wore them a few years back on a long day ride because of the heat, don't like a full day with wet drawers, lol. Butt it turns out helps with the butt burn too, and you don't get the usual bunching up of the under garment.

+1. The widely available UA boxers are definitely superior to cotton underwear. They breathe better, feel better, and are much better for those longer trips. You get what you pay for. They are not cheap.