Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadking custom vs fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 05:28 PM
jkmullen
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roadking custom vs fatboy

Good day all. New on this site. I've done the search and nothing, so here it goes. I've had my night train now nearly three years, and I looked at my bike the other day and realized that Im slowly turnig it in to something for longer distances. Had a chance to ridean 03fatboy. ok, not a big deal, Haven't ridden a rk yet. 07 rkc or 07 fatboy, few hundred dif in price, have to add a windshield to the fatboy have bags for it. I'm sure I'll hear a few nods for the rk classic, but that doesn't really do it. I've riding on and off for thirty years, , any thoughts oneither bike and why. I appreciate any thoughts or info.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior
Default RE: Roadking custom vs fatboy

I've got the 02 RK, and love it. You'll never be able to compare the ride of the FB to the RK because of the air ride.
We had an 01 WG, but rode over 1K miles on a fatboy when a trucker decided to back over the Glide. I personally didn't care for the FB, and Michelle hated the ride.
It's our personal opinion, I realize, but the touring frame and suspension are unbeatable.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:39 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you're looking to do touring and long rides, go with the RK. The Fat Boy is an awesome bike, but I don't think you'd want to do 400/500 mile rides on it. Decide on the type of riding you want to do and get the bike that fits that profile. I'd love to add a Fat Boy to my garage for some short hop riding if I ever moved on to an Ultra.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, the FatBoy is a very nice ride, but the basic frame and geometry are similar to your Night Train. If you are trying to turn your bike into more of a long distance rider, you'll be faced with the exact same delimma with the FatBoy. The Road King is meant for long distance touring and comes with better suspension and the quick detach windshield, I believe, and of course the hard mounted bags.

Do you want the ability to remove the bags and go cruising down the strip? Get the FatBoy or keep your Train and buy quick detach saddlebags and better suspension components. If you never plan on taking the bags off, get the King.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Cowracer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the 2 big difference are

#1The RK has a rubber mounted engine that shakes like a freezing wet dog at idle and is really smooth anywhere above idle. the FB has a solid-mounted, counter-balanced motor that is smooth at idle, but starts getting buzzy at high speeds.

#2 the RK has a traditional swingarm rear suspension with air shock mounted in usual place. The FB has a softail rear suspension with hidden shocks.

For my money, the FLh (roadking) frame is a better platform. The ST (fatboy) frame put looks first, and function second. Not to say that it dont work well, but there are some limitations.

Tim

Old 01-02-2007, 06:08 PM
jkmullen
Cruiser

Didn't know the hardbags weren't removable, Haven't taken the bags off the train in a year, good to know though, and alot of my riding is two up. The wife keeps telling me to get what I want so were not trading in another few years. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you misunderstood me. The bags on the King are removable for maintenance, cleaning, etc...However the hardware that attaches them to the frame is not quick detach and will remain with the bike. A King or any touring model just does not look good with the bags off.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:23 PM
jkmullen
Cruiser

Gotcha, Thanks

Old 01-02-2007, 06:32 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're going to do some serious long-distance touring, I'd highly suggest you at least consider the UC. With the built-in intercom and sound system plus the tour pak, it's a hard combo to beat. We vacation exclusively on the bike - have ridden from our home in Texas to Montana, Vegas, Utah, and other points west. This spring we'll be making Americade. Needless ta say, storage is a BIG factor for us!<G>

Old 01-02-2007, 07:48 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

The RK is one classey bike and super nice to tour - I have had both the FB and WG before I went to a Touring bike.. The ride difference between the FB and RK can not be compared... I went to the EG then to the RG because I wanted my hands out of the weather as much as possible. Since I have been on these two bikes - I have found that I really do like the stero for longer rides - The "Dash" does take some getting used to but once your there, its nice. If I could not have the fairing bike - the Road King would be my other choice - its your bike, do it your way. both have hard bags both can have a tour pac - actually both frames are the same...

Quick Reply: Roadking custom vs fatboy