Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch adjustment question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 07:47 AM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 389 Likes on 225 Posts
Default Clutch adjustment question

I adjusted the clutch on my wife's 06 ultra twice this weekend and both times it turned out the same. It seems like the clutch isn't engaging until the lever is about 2/3 of the way out. I did the adjustment according to the service manual. I turned in the screw until it lightly seated, backed it off about 3/4 turn and tightened the locknut. Then I set the cable adjustment so thereis 1/16 inch gap between the cable ferrel and lever body. Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:30 AM
Road Hawg
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I adjust mine I run the adjuster all the way in then back it out, you also want to pull the clutch lever in a few times to release any tension on the clutch before you seat it. I assume you backed off the cable adjuster when you did the adjustment. The clutch should start engaging about half way out or a little before.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:31 AM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I adjusted mine last weekend. I did mine per the service manual 3/4 turn out and it works perfect.

Did you pull the clutch lever in a few times before adjusting the lever. I think this seats the ***** or something like that (im at work). I pulled my lever in about 10 times before adjusting the lever. That is the only thing I see you listed that I did and you didn't.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:37 PM
mainshaft
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same bike, adjusted it several times and replaced the cable, same feel that I'm getting with mine. It doesn't slip so I'm leaving it alone.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:48 PM
flhtupser
Tourer

After lightly seating the adjustment screw try backing the screw out only one half turn. That should bring engagement closer to the grip. I loosen the cable adj. until the lever is all the way touching the grip. Then while lightly holding the lever turn the screw on clutch basket to feel it start pushing the lever off the grip. Back out one half turn from there and lock it down. Now adjust the cable.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:16 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by flhtupser
After lightly seating the adjustment screw try backing the screw out only one half turn. That should bring engagement closer to the grip. I loosen the cable adj. until the lever is all the way touching the grip. Then while lightly holding the lever turn the screw on clutch basket to feel it start pushing the lever off the grip. Back out one half turn from there and lock it down. Now adjust the cable.
Adjusting the screw out 3/4 turn will bring engagement closer to the grip than 1/2 turn.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:01 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Once you have the clutch adjusted inside the cover, set the cable adjustment to get the clutch engagement where you want it. Forget that 1/16" - 1/8" specification. It's completely useless. Just make certain you have some clearance (freeplay) there. It will usually take more than the 1/16" - 1/8" specification to move the engagement closer to the grip.

I have about an inch of freeplay in my lever (at the end) to get the engagement where I like it, approximately 1/2" off the grip.

I've also found that changing the adjustment inside the cover, i.e., 1/2 turn vs. 3/4 or even a full turn, has little to no effect on the clutch engagement point since the cable adjustment will negate any difference inside the cover with respect to where the clutch starts to engage.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:08 PM
vduzin12
Cruiser

Also,make sure the motors is at room temperature as things expand due to heat

Old 04-30-2012, 07:34 PM
Cruiser

I wouldn't leave any more free play than 1/8". I don't even understand how it would function with an inch of free play.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:03 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 10350
I wouldn't leave any more free play than 1/8". I don't even understand how it would function with an inch of free play.
It functions perfectly!

The one inch of freeplay I'm talking about is measured at the end of the lever, not the cable. That one inch equates to approximately 3/16" at the cable (or ferrule), but none of that really matters. What matters is the clutch engages at a point that is comfortable for me. When adjusted "by-the-book", the engagement is way too far from the grip for my liking. And I believe that is the same condition that the OP asked about.

Quick Reply: Clutch adjustment question