Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comments on my recent upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012 | 09:00 PM
Iamdent1
|
Cruiser
Default Comments on my recent upgrade.

I said after I recently upgrade my 06 88 with hyd. cam chain tensioners, high pressure oil pump and the SE204 cams that I would post up after my trip this weekend. Well here are my comments.

1. Wow! Rode southwest from Blytheville, Ar, to Petit Jean mountain outside of Morrilton, from there to Mt. Nebo south of Russellville, over to Mt. Magazine in Paris, up Hwy 23 (the Pig Trail) to Hwy 74 to Kingston/Ponca area, back up 23 to Eureka Springs from there to Mountain Home took in Hwy 341, 56 to Hardy then back to Blytheville through Jonesboro. This has got to be some of the twistyest, turnyest, upsy, downsy highways in the country and I gotta tell ya the bike ran great! 925 miles in three days.

2. Oil pressure held between 32 and 34 psi all the time even during idle. I think the new AMS Highlift Johnson Lifters I got from AMS Motomachine and Supply were a vast improvement over stock, you should really check these guys out, they were great to work with.

3. I still have a little valve train type noise but its nowhere near as loud or as aggravating as before and now I can ride without worrying whether that noise is the dang cam chain tensioners about to BTFU. Makes riding alot more enjoyable.

4. As far as the cams go, well I'm no expert I don't know alot about torque curves and lift and duration etc, etc. but I can tell you this, for the riding I did this weekend I am tickled to death, been grinning all weekend. My bro has a 2011 Electra G Ultra with the 96 and my other bud I ride with runs a 2009 Street G with the 96. For the past year they been just eating me up at take off and accell out of curves and on hills. That don't happen no more!

It seems to me that the engine REALLY wakes up right at 3200 rpm, it's noticeably stronger in second and third between 2000 and 3200 but in third, fourth and fifth when you hit that 3200 mark it really gets your attention.

Another unexpected plus for me seems to be the engine running smoother, and I mean while riding, I am noticing a lot less vibration at the handlebars. I assume that's a by product of the cam.

Finally, I am sure there are those that will say there are better cams than the SE204s but I am really pleased with this set up on my rig.

Thanks again to everyone for posting your experiences for my learning pleasure, and to the guys who I talked to and ordered parts from.

I am going to try and post some pics from our ride but not sure how that will go. Hahaha

Old 04-29-2012 | 09:38 PM
Iamdent1
|
Cruiser

Just a few pics.

Attached Thumbnails Comments on my recent upgrade.-169749-iamdent1-albums-36966-arkansas-and-our-rigs-picture152333-petite-jean-42712-2.jpg   Comments on my recent upgrade.-169749-iamdent1-albums-36966-arkansas-and-our-rigs-picture152332-petite-jean-42712-4-jazz.jpg   Comments on my recent upgrade.-169749-iamdent1-albums-36966-arkansas-and-our-rigs-picture152335-mt-nebo-42712-1.jpg   Comments on my recent upgrade.-169749-iamdent1-albums-36966-arkansas-and-our-rigs-picture152337-mt-magazine-42812-1.jpg  
Old 04-29-2012 | 09:43 PM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member

Very good! Sounds like you did really well getting both performance and smoothness in the same upgrades. Well done!!

Old 04-29-2012 | 11:22 PM
TO34
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Iamdent1
I said after I recently upgrade my 06 88 with hyd. cam chain tensioners, high pressure oil pump and the SE204 cams that I would post up after my trip this weekend. Well here are my comments.

1. Wow! Rode southwest from Blytheville, Ar, to Petit Jean mountain outside of Morrilton, from there to Mt. Nebo south of Russellville, over to Mt. Magazine in Paris, up Hwy 23 (the Pig Trail) to Hwy 74 to Kingston/Ponca area, back up 23 to Eureka Springs from there to Mountain Home took in Hwy 341, 56 to Hardy then back to Blytheville through Jonesboro. This has got to be some of the twistyest, turnyest, upsy, downsy highways in the country and I gotta tell ya the bike ran great! 925 miles in three days.

2. Oil pressure held between 32 and 34 psi all the time even during idle. I think the new AMS Highlift Johnson Lifters I got from AMS Motomachine and Supply were a vast improvement over stock, you should really check these guys out, they were great to work with.

3. I still have a little valve train type noise but its nowhere near as loud or as aggravating as before and now I can ride without worrying whether that noise is the dang cam chain tensioners about to BTFU. Makes riding alot more enjoyable.

4. As far as the cams go, well I'm no expert I don't know alot about torque curves and lift and duration etc, etc. but I can tell you this, for the riding I did this weekend I am tickled to death, been grinning all weekend. My bro has a 2011 Electra G Ultra with the 96 and my other bud I ride with runs a 2009 Street G with the 96. For the past year they been just eating me up at take off and accell out of curves and on hills. That don't happen no more!

It seems to me that the engine REALLY wakes up right at 3200 rpm, it's noticeably stronger in second and third between 2000 and 3200 but in third, fourth and fifth when you hit that 3200 mark it really gets your attention.

Another unexpected plus for me seems to be the engine running smoother, and I mean while riding, I am noticing a lot less vibration at the handlebars. I assume that's a by product of the cam.

Finally, I am sure there are those that will say there are better cams than the SE204s but I am really pleased with this set up on my rig.

Thanks again to everyone for posting your experiences for my learning pleasure, and to the guys who I talked to and ordered parts from.

I am going to try and post some pics from our ride but not sure how that will go. Hahaha

Curious are you running the HD oil pump or did you go with another one? My oil psi at idle drops of considerably even with the new cam plate & HD high flow oil pump.

Just like you I can not say enough good things about my lifters, I got them on a whim because I couldn't seeing paying the kinda of cash others wanted without the improvements that Johnson's have.

Old 04-30-2012 | 08:27 AM
Iamdent1
|
Cruiser

I installed the SE oil pump, funny thing about that pressure, now it makes me wonder if I have a problem. The oil pressure jumps up to 34+ on start up and never drops below 32. Right after I put it all back together it would run around 34 at 2000 rpm but when I backed off to idle it would fall off to the mid 20's. Now it runs at 32+ all the time and when I shut the engine off it takes a while, several seconds, for the oil pressure gauge to bleed down to zero.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this, I thought maybe the lifters bleeding off slow were somehow holding the oil pressure higher even after engine shut off. You've got me curious now.