Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Axle Nut Torque tool

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Ratkiller
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ordered and purchased one at my dealer no questions asked.
Ratkiller

Old 05-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Recycled
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01
Does tightening that threaded piece actually move the axle or is it just to hold it in position once its there? Do you still need to use a wrench on the welded nut on the left side to adjust tension? That looks pretty cool! Should make it easier either way.
Yes, by tightening the bolt on the "third hand" tool the axle will rotate clockwise increasing the tension on the belt. The "third hand" tool will hold and maintain the tension while the nut on the right side is torqued to spec.
Most adept mechanics can do without but they are nice to have.
I use my homemade "third hand" tool and a small plastic mallet to preset the belt tension, then position the tool and turn the bolt in to hold the belt tension before torquing the nut.
It was a valuable tool to have while I was setting up my wheel alignment after modifying my swingarm. My belt came loose a few times and I built the tool out of necessity as a failsafe way to prevent that happening until I managed to get my alignment fine tuned. The tool was just left in place, held on with a modified lower shock washer. Hope my explanation made sense.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:53 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Yes it does! Thanks...Rick

Originally Posted by Recycled
Yes, by tightening the bolt on the "third hand" tool the axle will rotate clockwise increasing the tension on the belt. The "third hand" tool will hold and maintain the tension while the nut on the right side is torqued to spec.
Most adept mechanics can do without but they are nice to have.
I use my homemade "third hand" tool and a small plastic mallet to preset the belt tension, then position the tool and turn the bolt in to hold the belt tension before torquing the nut.
It was a valuable tool to have while I was setting up my wheel alignment after modifying my swingarm. My belt came loose a few times and I built the tool out of necessity as a failsafe way to prevent that happening until I managed to get my alignment fine tuned. The tool was just left in place, held on with a modified lower shock washer. Hope my explanation made sense.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:56 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratkiller
Ordered and purchased one at my dealer no questions asked.
Ratkiller
It is the Harley tool, not an aftermarket? My dealer offered to sell me something similar out of the Drag Catalog. However, it did not look the same to me. So what would you charge me to purchase one at your dealer and send it to me? Or, maybe just give me your dealers name and I'll call them myself.