Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a Road Glide Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 04:05 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thinking about a Road Glide Ultra

Thanks mostly to the devotees of the Road Glide who post here I started looking at them recently, and am seriously considering trading my '04 EG Ultra for a 2012 RG Ultra.

I started at my motor unit 14 years ago with a '92 FXRP, so I'm no stranger to the fixed fairing. Drove Road Kings for 10 years before we went to the FLHTP, and it wasn't long after that I bought my Ultra. I LOVE the Electra Glide. But from what I've read on here, the touring experience is fantastic with the RG, and I do a lot of touring. The 103 is an awesome motor, as I know from my police bike, and I would love to have the ABS.

Is it worthwile moving to a Road Glide from an Electra Glide? Is there a big difference between the two, and what would be my advantages in a fixed fairing bike? I spoke with another motor officer who just traded his EG for an RG Ultra, and he said the biggest difference was that the steering is much lighter on the RG. Does the Road Glide handle substanially different from the EG, especially at lower speeds and around town?

If the Road Glide doesn't suit me I have no problems keeping the '04. My plan is (or was, depending on what I do) to put 100 K on the '04, but the RG intrigues me.

I'm looking for some feedback on whether to stay with the EG or move over to the RG.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by PghCycle24; 04-28-2012 at 04:07 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:30 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure you’ve heard the same rumors about a liquid cooled engine in the foreseeable future for the touring Harley's. I’ve also heard something about a re-designed batwing fairing. I’m fairly new to Harley’s but one thing I’ve noticed is that, although the 2 models are the same bikes, I haven’t heard much about Road Glide’s having a lot of issues like the Electra-Glides. It may the fact that there just aren’t as many of them.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:24 AM
eazyduzzit
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Even though I have an EG, I like the RG because you don't see them everywhere you look. When I do see one I give it a second look. There are so many batwings out there that I don't even really look at them. A friend who owned one loves them for the ride and handling.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:44 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eazyduzzit
Even though I have an EG, I like the RG because you don't see them everywhere you look. When I do see one I give it a second look. There are so many batwings out there that I don't even really look at them. A friend who owned one loves them for the ride and handling.
Your EG looks like a twin of my '04. I just replaced the whitewalls with blackwalls and like the look.

Just exploring my options right now, and the feedback here will help me decide. You're right about the rarity of the RG's-one off the things in its favor.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:49 AM
SharkBite
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I previously had an '02 electra glide and now I have a '10 road glide. Honestly I don't see a huge difference between either. I've really had more wind issues with the road glide than I ever did with the electra glide, however I think I've finally tamed it pretty good with the madstad windshield and lowers.

If you're really considering buying one, rent one first.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:56 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I had an '08 Road Glide and a year ago traded it for a '11 Ultra Classic. Somebody asked me the other day which I preferred, and I couldn't make a decision - they are both great bikes. I remember when I got my Road Glide (coming from a Road King), how impressed I was with the lighter steering with the fixed fairing. After a couple of days though, I didn't notice it any more. It's not like the fork-mounted bikes were inferior, just different.

Like any of the Harley touring models, you will need to experiment with windshields to tune the wind management to your liking. It seems to have been a bit easier with the Ultra Classic than the Road Glide, but once I found the right windshield the Road Glide was an excellent touring platform.

On the other hand, I really like the Ultra Classic for just about everything - commuting, touring, and everything in between. The one "issue" I have with the Ultra Classic is that I get a little wind on my knees that I did not get with the Road Glide. The shape of the fairing on the Road Glide presents less of a gap between it and the lowers, so less wind gets through.

The new RG Ultras look especially nice and when it's time to trade again I may end up with one. Not that the Electra Glide platform is inferior - just different. In any event, I would imagine you would be very pleased with the Road Glide; it is a terrific bike.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:31 AM
BeavisRules
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although I just bought a Road Glide Custom I really took a hard look at the Road Glide Ultra.

When you start running the numbers for all the accessories and such you will see that the Ultra is a better bang for the buck. It absolutely has everything you could imagine needing when touring.

My wife doesn't ride with me enough to warrant me getting the Ultra otherwise I would have been all over it.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stick with your Electra....

Beginning to see one or two Roadies a day now... that's too many.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:40 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

When I bought my 2012 if the Road Glide Ultra came in white............... Well it did not so I got another Batwing. The Road Glides are a bit more unique and stand out in a crowd.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:43 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I traded my EG in for a RG. I liked the light steering but I could never solve the buffeting problem. I spent over $1500 on things like lower fairings,air deflectors,and about 5 or 6 windshields. Nothing I ever did fixed it,it made the ride miserable,so I just traded it in. I got another EG,and can't be any happier.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a Road Glide Ultra