Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a Road Glide Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 12:58 PM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by metfancowboy
I traded my EG in for a RG. I liked the light steering but I could never solve the buffeting problem. I spent over $1500 on things like lower fairings,air deflectors,and about 5 or 6 windshields. Nothing I ever did fixed it,it made the ride miserable,so I just traded it in. I got another EG,and can't be any happier.
I am curious about the windshield. I like the stock windshield on my '04 EG and have never had an issue with buffeting etc on either the Ultra or the FLHTP. I guess a test ride is in order to see how the fixed fairing & windshield feel. You can bet I'll hit an interstate and get it up to 70-75, my usual cruising speed, before I go any further in the process.

This may be an exercise in futility, since I am half expecting for the dealers to lowball my '04, which is pristine and relatively low milage. I won't let her go cheap. I have the luxury of having a bike I love and am under no pressure to make a deal I don't like. If it works for me, maybe...

We'll see.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:45 PM
BladeRun
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm following this thread with interest PGH. I also have an 04 EG which I've had since new and have it justtttt about where I want it. Been eyeing the RG Ultras, especially the one with the blue pearl paint. sigh. Let us know how you make it, especially interested in what they offer you for your bike.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:54 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I am a retired motor and spent 10 years on RKP's got a new one very year thru 08. I also put over 80,000 miles on my personal 2004 EGC. I always was worried when I got my new motor if it would make me want to trade my personal bike. After a few miles on the new motor I would always be content with my bike. Then I made the mistake of riding a 2011 RGU and 2011 EGU they both blew the 04 away in the handling department. I have put 17000 miles on my RGU so far and love it. It however does not handle any different then any other 09 and up bagger whether RK, EG or RG ie I doubt you as a motor would be able to tell the difference in handling either at speed or on the slow speed course. The newer chasis do handle well. The batwing does give better protection then the rg fairing.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:04 PM
mtndave
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's nice to hear your experience between the EGU and RGU. We (my wife and I) do mostly long-distance traveling, on an '02EGU (45K miles at trade-in). A year ago I traded on a '11 RGU. Big difference in stability in gusty winds-RGU is more stable. My major beef with the RGU is the extreme glare/reflection from the gauges and stereo with sun coming over my shoulders. Maybe my height doesn't work with the gauge face angle, I don't know. Otherwise, I like the RGU much better.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:10 PM
lldsilver41
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I switched to the RG about 2 yrs ago from the bat wing. Once I found the windshield for me all is well, would not go back to the bat wing again.

I am now on my 2nd RG, this is a RG Ultra, 1st was a RG Classic.

Best choice I have made.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:01 PM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mtclassic
I am a retired motor and spent 10 years on RKP's got a new one very year thru 08. I also put over 80,000 miles on my personal 2004 EGC. I always was worried when I got my new motor if it would make me want to trade my personal bike. After a few miles on the new motor I would always be content with my bike. Then I made the mistake of riding a 2011 RGU and 2011 EGU they both blew the 04 away in the handling department. I have put 17000 miles on my RGU so far and love it. It however does not handle any different then any other 09 and up bagger whether RK, EG or RG ie I doubt you as a motor would be able to tell the difference in handling either at speed or on the slow speed course. The newer chasis do handle well. The batwing does give better protection then the rg fairing.
It's interesting that you find the batwing provides better protection than the fixed fairing on the RG. I've been led to believe that the RG was designed to be the ultimate touring bike in the HD line up. Hmmm...

Another motor recently traded his '08 EG for a '12 RGU. His main observations were that the steering is much lighter on the RG, and that it feels more stable at highway speed with buffeting and crosswinds.

My unit currently has the '08 FLHTP, and we're scheduled to get 12's as replacements this summer. I don't have any experience with the new chassis, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the differences are. The 103 is a great engine, and has a lot more flexibility than the 88. No surprises there on the test drive.

I'm on the fence right now, but plan to put the RGU through its paces on Monday at the test drive.

Last edited by PghCycle24; 04-28-2012 at 10:05 PM.