Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley gauges suck!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 02:10 AM
blackswampbiker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harley gauges suck!

about a month and a half ago I put a post on asking about problems with my fuel gauge. I tested the gauge my gauge and it was bad so I went to harley ordered new gauge installed the new gauge and it still didn't work so then I started check sending unit which tested exactly what it should according to the harley electric diagnostic manual then I started checking on my wiring I found no wiring issues so I went back to the sending unit which I then bought a new one still didn't fix the problem tested the new gauge it tested fine but that was the only thing left so I ordered another new fuel gauge from my harley dealership and bam it was fixed I called my harley
dealership told them the first fuel gauge I ordered from them was bad they tell me there is no return on it because of it being electrical part!

Old 04-28-2012, 04:51 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not being able to return electrical parts is pretty typical. I get really frustrated with today’s technology that we still are dealing with junk coming out of the manufacturers. But considering where it comes from, how much Harley-Davidson pays for the labor to build most of the parts that go on our bikes, we are usually left with only 2 choices.

In my 46 years of riding motorcycles I have never been so disappointed in a product as much as my Ultra Classic.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:16 AM
PhoneGuy-MI
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to replace the air temp gauge with a working compass. The air gauge is a piece of crap and I would rather look down and get a helpful reminder what direction I am heading as the best rides are often the ones when I just ride and get lost.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:30 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by PhoneGuy-MI
I would love to replace the air temp gauge with a working compass. The air gauge is a piece of crap and I would rather look down and get a helpful reminder what direction I am heading as the best rides are often the ones when I just ride and get lost.
I'm going to save you some money. Look up where the Sun is at time of day. Night time use stars. Makes it more fun. I also feel the same way about that Air Temp Gauge its useless, I don't need a gauge to tell me it's hot/cold outside.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:29 AM
racklefratz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhoneGuy-MI
Yeah, that, or just carry a smart phone that has built-in GPS and a Google Maps app with voice directions, like my Motorola Droid. I don't use it often, but it's there when I need it, driving or riding.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Weren't all of the parts covered by the extended service plan you mentioned in your original post on the fuel gauge problem:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-problems.html

In any case, glad to hear you now have a working fuel gauge.

Carl