Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your motorcycle cover? How is it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 10:58 PM
christian0632
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your motorcycle cover? How is it?

I am just wondering if anyone uses other than a Harley brand motorcycle cover for their bike and how well do you like it? I need to get a cover for the new Ultra and have had Harley covers in the past that were excellent. Just wondering if anyone has paid less and gotten more from an aftermarket cover.

Old 01-01-2007, 11:34 PM
nikom74
Novice
Default RE: Your motorcycle cover? How is it?

Christian0632, I had a generic brand one I purchased when I bought my first bike, a Suzuki Volusia. When I bought my RoadKing I purchased the Harley brand and was pleasantly surprised to see the extra $30 was worth it. The generis brand would eventually leach moisture through it and I would uncover to find the saddle wet. The HD brand cover has never let water through.

Old 01-01-2007, 11:41 PM
JeffSG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havethe indoor and outdoor covers and they do their job and last a long time. Pay the additional $$ and get the extra quality to protect your bike.

Ride safe,

Old 01-02-2007, 01:38 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: christian0632

I am just wondering if anyone uses other than a Harley brand motorcycle cover for their bike and how well do you like it? I need to get a cover for the new Ultra and have had Harley covers in the past that were excellent. Just wondering if anyone has paid less and gotten more from an aftermarket cover.
You're smart to ask that question, especially about non-mechanical items. You'll almost always pay a premium for something just to have the bar & shield on it, while often the same product is available through it's manufacturer at a lower price.

I assume you're not planning to leave the bike outside 24/7 and want a cover to keep the dust etc off while it's parked? I use a Dowco Guardian cover and am very happy with it. It has built in heatshields on both sides so I can throw it on as soon as I park the bike. Dowco makes good stuff and their products are available through most bike shops and websites like J & P Cycles. www.dowco-inc.com

Old 01-02-2007, 02:15 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts

I bought a generic for my VTX and it would let moisture in after a day or two of use. I just purchased a HD cover and damn its allot nicer, thicker and fits like it was made for the bike...well I guess it was. Spend the extra money and enjoy knowing your bike is protected very good.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:19 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

I have a Freedom Cycle cover. It's basically a furniture pad (read thick) that has been tailored to a HD bagger. It also has a separate front fender cover. The nice thing about it is the bars and forks are not covered. This makes it easy to move around without completely uncovering it. It is for indoor use only.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:19 AM
FLGEEZ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used the HD soft Dust cover, which is now on the Sportster, and an UltraGuard fullcover that is vented and heat shielded and was part of the trike package. My 96 has an Exigent full dust cover, which is very light, but not heat protected. We bought on the road covers as well.
Her trike has a half shell by UltraGuard, waterproof and I use a waterproof half shell for for my 96 E Glide by Tour King in Texas. The road covers are waterproof, but cause wet seats and windscreens early in the morning from condensation. But the birds don't get a crack at much over night.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17522/634C37EE9CD54BD09A36EF133D1CF897.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-02-2007, 09:35 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Hear in the NorthEast the only way to keep the winter moisture off your ride in an unheated garage,is a BikeBag.Or just a cheap cover for dust and worry about a spring cleanup.I have one toy in long term storage in a Car Bag.An incredible idea and they work as advertized.No Moisture,dust,rodents etc.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:39 AM
gern_blannsten
Advanced

Keep the bike in the garage with a cheap cover to keep the dust off. Works very well....

Old 01-02-2007, 11:08 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the HD indoor cover and works great.

Quick Reply: Your motorcycle cover? How is it?