Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Stock, MSG True Duals, 2-1-2 Fuel Moto Duals

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:22 PM
iceman5218
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2009 Stock, MSG True Duals, 2-1-2 Fuel Moto Duals

I've been mulling this thought over in my head for quite a while. As we all know the '09 stock headers are the last year to not have the cats in the heads which opens up a lot of options as far as abilities.

I recently read a thread from MGS Customs (with dyno sheets as proof) stating their true duals get as good or better torque numbers than 2-1 Thunders and we all know true duals sound the best (yes I know I'll take a bit ribbing for this statement).

The next thing I'm considering is the Fuel Moto 2-1-2. I don't think anyone here would argue about the quality and service from Fuel Moto in any of their products and there are countless dyno sheets.

So here is the question to be considered. Is the jump up to the MGS (like the look of the true duals) or Fuel Moto (nough said) give you enough of a gain to be worth the money it takes to secure them into my garage?

Just to clarify, I'm more interested in the butt dyno than the sheet.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:11 PM
D-9 OPERATOR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll I am going to get rid of my bub TDX straight 8's for the msg true duals if that helps your decision

Old 04-26-2012, 10:21 PM
iceman5218
Road Captain

Ok. After going back and looking at each reatiler's dyno sheets I got a little more data that could help answer my question.

Fuel Moto states on their Dyno Sheets the 2-1-2 only give an increase of 1 hp/2 ft lbs versus my stock '09 headers.

MGS True Duals state on their website the true duals give an increase of 3/5.

You guys that have done these upgrades, will these numbers justify the money it takes to buy them?

Old 04-26-2012, 10:28 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

I would say if you want the duals because of sound or looks then get the brand you prefer. I would not make the change based on numbers increase alone.

Remember before all the aftermarket header craze people were getting good numbers with decent slip-ons on the non cat stock head pipes.......

Just my $0.02 and not taking anything away from FM or MSG........

Old 04-26-2012, 11:10 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the dyno sheets Fuel Moto provided, their headpipe gets about 5 hp over the stock 09 headpipe on the 107 build. Your results may vary.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:48 AM
dohadex
Road Captain
Default I agree...

I have to agree that getting the MGS or FM pipes almost comes down to a toss up. Most of us are biased towards the FM because of their great reputation...another important factor to consider.

ICEMAN5218....that is a wonderful photo of your family! It shows what you cherish most! Amen brother!

Old 04-27-2012, 06:24 AM
iceman5218
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dohadex
I have to agree that getting the MGS or FM pipes almost comes down to a toss up. Most of us are biased towards the FM because of their great reputation...another important factor to consider.

ICEMAN5218....that is a wonderful photo of your family! It shows what you cherish most! Amen brother!
Thanx man. It all comes down to who's going to be there for ya when your face up in a pine box.

As far as reputation goes, I don't think I would go wrong with either product and support and I know the sound is going to be comparable and they are going to look great. That's why I'm trying to do this by the numbers. Is a couple hp/ft lb worth the $500/$1000 on the butt dyno to justify the purchase. When I do this it will probably end up being a Stage II with Woods 555 cams.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:47 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by iceman5218
Thanx man. It all comes down to who's going to be there for ya when your face up in a pine box.

As far as reputation goes, I don't think I would go wrong with either product and support and I know the sound is going to be comparable and they are going to look great. That's why I'm trying to do this by the numbers. Is a couple hp/ft lb worth the $500/$1000 on the butt dyno to justify the purchase. When I do this it will probably end up being a Stage II with Woods 555 cams.
Now we're talking something different, you're talking about adding cams as well. You can't just look at each part, you need to look at everything as a whole, the parts have to compliment each other you know what I'm saying. A bad exhaust can kill any build, for an example (not saying either of your choices are bad)

You need to decide on your cam and go from there in my opinion, the Woods cams come to life at a higher RPM range than let's say a set of 255's so if you pick an exhaust that's not good on the low end, you might feel the low end soft, if you ride 2 up a lot this could affect you in a way you might not like, if you ride solo most of the time and wind through the gears it won't matter.

Your riding situation will dictate a lot, don't get caught up on Dyno sheets, we ride our bikes not pieces of paper. Be realistic with how "YOU" ride and pick components that match/compliment your style. Everyone is different.

FM's CS is top notch and I haven't encountered it elsewhere yet with any company I have bought products from for my bike. They're products are solid, and they have packages of components that work well together.

TD's will basically be a decision for sound and look, after that it's a crap shoot, a good tune or a bad tune can make or break any build regardless of what exhaust you're running.

Just my $0.02 again.......

Old 04-30-2012, 11:27 PM
guentherb88
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my Street Glide back from MGS Friday. Had the True Duals and Fueling's Reaper 525 cams installed. The sound is freaking awesome and it pulls pretty damn good to.

86 HP and 103 TQ is what the sheet ended up with.

MGS shot a youtube video of the intall and should be posted this week. Here are a couple of pics I took in my garage.

Just learned how to resize these things as I've been trying to load them for two days now!

Attached Thumbnails 2009 Stock, MSG True Duals, 2-1-2 Fuel Moto Duals-img_7097.jpg   2009 Stock, MSG True Duals, 2-1-2 Fuel Moto Duals-img_7098.jpg   2009 Stock, MSG True Duals, 2-1-2 Fuel Moto Duals-img_7099.jpg   2009 Stock, MSG True Duals, 2-1-2 Fuel Moto Duals-img_7102.jpg