Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get used to any sports bike after Harley

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 103megawatt
If you want a sportbike then IMO a VROD would not be the best choice. A VROD is somewhat sporty but far from being a sportbike and big bucks to just sit around collecting dust. If you want the benefits and ride of a sportbike then get something that is lightweight, short wheelbase, inexpensive (Japanese) and best of all get something used as it is only going to be an occasional ride. Get a naked bike and the riding position will not be too radical and the cost will be even less.

Its great to have a choice, different bikes for the occasional change of pace is great. I ride my turbo Busa every year to Reno (650 miles one way), ride around the Sierra Nevada mountains for three days then ride back. Easily 2000 miles in 5 days on a sportbike. There is nothing like leaning into curves and having WAY more power in the right hand than you can use. Having a sportbike is great for my get away alone time and the Road King is for travel time with my girlfriend.

I would have to say the Harley lets me appreciate life and the fantastic views while the sportbike wakes me up and reminds me I am alive. Hope you find your good two bike match.

Hi 103 - I didn't see you post but as you can see I agree 100% - I think the Busa should go down in history as one of the finest motorcycles of all time -
Tom

Old 04-27-2012, 06:10 PM
103megawatt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c50plus
Well, this morning I went out and test drove a 2010 Honda VFR1200 and totally fell in love with it. I would be as happy to ride it as I would a Harley. Bought it with a 1000 miles only for $11.5 K. Very happy
VFR = Very fast rocket
I use to own a 98 model with a staintune exhaust that made the V4 engine sound exciting. The VFR was voted the best all around bike for a streatch of about 10 years straight, they can do it all. I always considered the VRF a gentlemans sportbike. You will be happy, congrats.

Thx, Tom Hudson, they sure are special machines that can do it all.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to an XL 1200 custom for an around town ride, plus I always wanted a sporty. I like the change up. Plus I added some extra stuff to the sporty so it would be badass. S&S dual intake, cams and Sampsons. it is a 2003 so it is carbed but it is very quick and agile. I run it like a cruiser and I am not crazy Johnson, but the bike just wants to take off, so I have to becareful. On my limited I have a very good setup and it moves(555 cams, cermaic headers, klock pipes, dual runner and Tmax, but the sporty being smaller, the senesation is different and closer if that makes sense.
I would look into the v-rod. I have four friends that got them and they love them. They did tweek them, with what I dont know off hand, but those bikes move like a bat oput of hell. GOod luck in your search

Old 04-27-2012, 07:24 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

My, what a masculine engine ! Oh, and I just love the tour-pak.....great choice......

Last edited by drukanfu; 08-10-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:58 PM
acd118
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheArchitect
I had a 600 Ninja a few years back, I wouldn't have bought one on my own but it belonged to a buddy of mine and he had done some really great mod's to it and needed to sell it quick. It just didn't have personality though. I sold it after a few years. For me the greatest sportbikes ever were the steel tubed Buells, they have the same heart and soul as Harleys but they are true sportbikes in every sense of the word. I was really disappointed when they went to the aluminum frames, they lost that Harley look and feel (at least, in my opinion). Anyway, if you want the Harley feel in a sport bike package, I would definitely recommend checking out used Buells, you can get some screaming deals on them.
I couldn't agree more on the Buell. Truely amazing bikes that were very well engineered and have the tried and true 1200 motor. When I used to ride rockets, I rode with two guys that had Buells. I believe they were both the S-1 Lightnings. The one guy had more mods done to his Buell than I could shake a stick at and it certainly showed. That bike was just plain nasty. He let me ride it as I let him ride my Gixxer.. He was riding my bike pretty hard so I spanked the **** out of his in return. I could stand that thing up, smoke the tire, and carve every turn just like on the hyper bikes. About the only area I saw it feel short of a true hyper bike was that it probably wouldn't do the 170-180 top speed that the jap bikes do. But one thing's for sure, his bike would smoke those jap bikes block to block and from a roll on.

I always marveled at the idea of having a bad *** Harley sport bike and if and when I have the extra money, I'll be getting one of those old Buells. I would really check them out if I was you.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:52 PM
c50plus
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Drukanfu, maybe you need a bad *** bike to be manly. I am plenty man without
a motorcycle.
I kept my Ultra and this bike does not brake my back like the other
rockets. I did not buy the hard bags. Will tour with my lady, the VFR is just me.

I bought the Honda VFR because is a well all around sports touring bike, I can do it all.
alSO THE PRICE WAS RIGHT. If I had bought the Vrod it would have been more $$$. Saved $3300 AND i DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT BRAKING DOWN.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain

a motorcycle.
rockets. I did not buy the hard bags. Will tour with my lady, the VFR is just me.

I bought the Honda VFR because is a well all around sports touring bike, I can do it all.
alSO THE PRICE WAS RIGHT. If I had bought the Vrod it would have been more $$$. Saved $3300 AND i DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT BRAKING DOWN.
Great choice - I never owned a VFR but I have heard good stuff about them - I put 250,000 miles on Goldwings - Only problem I ever had was 1 (ONE) flat tire!
Mr. Honda knows how to build Motorsycles!

Old 04-27-2012, 09:32 PM
drukanfu
Supporter

a motorcycle.

I just had 2 1/2 inches of stint put in one of my main arteries after a heart attack this last January 30th. Like You it changed my thinking after what the doctor said and that's why the FM 107" is in my bike ! Don't have the money to drop on another bike, much less Jap Crap ! Saved $13000.00 + for a decent burial I figure.
Not worried about my Harley breaking down.
P.S. I'll give ya credit that you didn't buy the hard bags, at least the VFR looks better without them.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:50 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain

Originally Posted by drukanfu
I just had 2 1/2 inches of stint put in one of my main arteries after a heart attack this last January 30th. Like You it changed my thinking after what the doctor said and that's why the FM 107" is in my bike ! Don't have the money to drop on another bike, much less Jap Crap ! Saved $13000.00 + for a decent burial I figure.
Not worried about my Harley breaking down.
P.S. I'll give ya credit that you didn't buy the hard bags, at least the VFR looks better without them.
Yep - stay away from that jap crap = Us Harley Guy's prefer our 100% of our chrome and about 80% of our realman motorcycles to be built in Taiwan

Old 04-28-2012, 09:45 AM
drukanfu
Supporter

Hey Tom, your Mom wasn't part Beagle was she ?

Quick Reply: Can't get used to any sports bike after Harley