Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow riding tips....

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 07:13 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert_W
While practicing, cover your crash bars with heavy water hose. Just in case...

Ride safe,

Bob.

All of the above advice is great but this (quote) is a must if your going to practice. You might even put some of that clear 3m scuff guard on the bottom outside edges of your bags. Once that glide is going over your not stopping it until you hit the guard. I hated the stock hand position so I changed the bars.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:30 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,732 Likes on 12,045 Posts

I focus on keeping my elbows out on slow tight turns. The angle of the bars can push your elbow (right elbow-rt turn, left elbow-left turn) in towards your body which can throw you off.

Depending on how slow or tight the turn is, I lean my upper body opposite the lean of the bike to counterbalance.

As others have said - feather the clutch. Use the back brake only.

The SG tire won't cause you anymore trouble than the Fatboy tire.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:49 PM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Order the DVD (which you did)
2. Find aa RLAP course. Often the Houston team will come to Dallas. Well worth it.
3. Dallas HD generally has a large group of us playing in the cones and teaching at some of their big events in the empty shopping center behind the dealership.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:53 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

You seem to know the proper technique and just need practice to develop self confidence. Practice by doing slow figure eights in the street in front of your house each time you ride.

Shortly after you become confident in your ability, you will drop it. Welcome to being a biker.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:45 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dawgtraxx
I have found as slower speeds, slipping the clutch and revving engine a little seems to feel more stable.. no physics expert, possible gyro effect ?, seems to work

prolly gonna get a s#$& storm for that
I'm not a physics expert either, but you are correct. You rev the engine and get that flywheel spinning, and the gyro effect is substantial...Ever see some of the cops in the slow race?

Old 04-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Dawgtraxx
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdam
I'm not a physics expert either, but you are correct. You rev the engine and get that flywheel spinning, and the gyro effect is substantial...Ever see some of the cops in the slow race?
I learned it by watching them on YouTube..it really works..some of those guys are amazing

Old 04-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Rustyrider
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The biggest mistake I see people do at low speed is take their feet off the pegs too early..No better way to lose control than taking your feet off the pegs and dragging your feet.

Good luck,

Old 04-26-2012, 10:22 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustyrider
The biggest mistake I see people do at low speed is take their feet off the pegs too early..No better way to lose control than taking your feet off the pegs and dragging your feet.

Good luck,
Good way to break your ankle too.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,525 Likes on 6,272 Posts

I took the Riders Edge Skilled Rider's Course last year. Really improved my slow speed handling, and panic braking. Only a one day course, too. I haven't tried the DVD's because I like an evaluator giving me feedback.

The biggest thing that improved my slow speed handling was looking about 20-30 ft ahead of me instead of 5-10 ft and do the counter-steering by feel, not looking down.

Good luck

Old 04-26-2012, 11:21 PM
razorsedge
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recommend using 3/4" garden hose (the "real" black rubber hose), slit it down the middle and zip-tie it to your guards when your practicing. You will be amazed at how well it protects your guards if you drop your bike. Once you let go of the fear of dropping it and scratching it up, then you will actually not worry about it so much and you will focus more on challenging yourself to master the skills and next thing you know your dragging your floorboards when you dip the bike The RLAP 5 video is excellent, Jerry motorman Pallidino knows his stuff.

Quick Reply: Slow riding tips....