Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow riding tips....

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow. The op asks for riding advice and almost every answer is watch a DVD. Really great help guys.
K. As far as slow speed turns slip the clutch and use the rear brake to finess your way around. As long as you stay in motion the bike will want to stay upright. I suggest an empty parking lot and practice.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:34 PM
CHEESE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be sure you're keeping power to the rear wheel, so slow down prior to the turn, find your friction zone (clutch/throttle) and keep the wheel under power the entire way through the turn. The tendency for most people is to coast through a turn, which is much less stable than being under power.

You said you took the class, so you already know about pointing your head and eyes in the direction you want to go, so keep doing that religiously. Look down=go down. So go find a parking lot and make a million u-turns by looking where you want to go and friction zoning through the entire turn. Then make a million right hand u turns.

If you get going too fast, use the rear brake a little, but don't use the front in a slow turn, and especially don't grab a handful of front brake. That's the sure way to go to the ground.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
Wow. The op asks for riding advice and almost every answer is watch a DVD. Really great help guys.
K. As far as slow speed turns slip the clutch and use the rear brake to finess your way around. As long as you stay in motion the bike will want to stay upright. I suggest an empty parking lot and practice.
Wow, if you had read all the post, you would have seen where I told him the exact same thing you did. The video and the course is great advice. They also teach that in the MSF course.

Last edited by Ronp42; 04-26-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:46 PM
TURQ
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 as all the others have said. Practice all the time...these are skills that the more you practice the better you get. These big Harleys are pretty easy to handle in parking lots once you get the friction zone and rear brake concepts burned in your brain. I can handle my SG much easier than my softail. As an added bonus...if you practice the friction zone enough you don't have put your feet down at stop signs AND you just might be ready for the next Easyriders slow race rodeo

Old 04-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Delzore
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Find a local class OR riding groups that have them for free... We have a goldwing meetup.com group here in phoenix that has practice sessions setup at least monthly and they practice lots of different things... I came from a 2006 Sporster Custom to my new to me 2009 Road King.. boy a big difference between those two bikes in low speed maneuvering.. first thing I did (despite 60k miles on the sporty over 6 years) was sign up for a refresher training class (where we focused on slow speed maneuvers)... having a little class explanations and then practicing the skills really helped (and some bad habits I formed from lighter bike adjusted..).. but class or dvd or whatnot.. none will prepare you more than practice practice practice... I try to practice a uturn everyday out front of my house...

Old 04-26-2012, 06:03 PM
GuyManDood
Advanced

Hey thanks guys!!!! I'm going to order the DVD tonight!

Old 04-26-2012, 06:09 PM
CSP067
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

All the advice is good, the DVDs are excellent, but there is no substitute for the actual program. Riding with a small group and getting one-on-one instruction is really helpful and you will learn quickly. It can be frustrating trying to master all the elements of slow riding on your own, but all that aside, at least you're making the effort. Best of luck. Stay with it ... it will change the way you ride.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Robert_W
Tourer

While practicing, cover your crash bars with heavy water hose. Just in case...

Ride safe,

Bob.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:48 PM
GuyManDood
Advanced

Thanks guys! Ordering the Ride Like A Pro DVD now... much appreciated.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:52 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Compared to your Fat Bob, the SG has a lot more weight (obviously) on the front end, and as a result is less forgiving if you don't handle it properly at slow speeds. Do not grab the front brake at slow speed turns or the bike will go right down. You may have been able to get away with sloppy or improper technique on a lighter bike, but you won't be able to on a touring bike.

As others said, turn your head and eyes in the direction you want the bike to go, use the friction zone on your clutch and control the speed with the clutch, throttle and rear brake, and lean the bike.

After a little practice it will become second nature. You'll be amazed how stable the bike feels even during low speed maneuvers once you start feeling more confident and comfortable.

Last edited by bigdaddy33; 04-26-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Slow riding tips....