Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on air valve problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 08:48 AM
joek
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on air valve problem

Just bought a new Road King Classic (400 miles), with the optional tubeless spoke wheels. First bike I've owned. The valve on the back wheel is really hard to get to, and I needed some 90 degree attachment to get air into the tire. You'd think Harley would design a 90 degree valve into this wheel instead of making you buy extra gauges and attachments just to put a little air into the tire. Anyway, I used the flexible value extention ($10 from Harley) after a bit of manuvering screwed it in a filled up the tire to 40 lbs. Went riding and on the way home noticed the back tire swimming. Managed to make it home, and by then it was pretty much flat though not completely. Could not find any punctures. Tried to put air into it, but it seems the valve won't let me put air into the tire. Do I need a new stem? I'd hate to remove the tire just to put a new valve on. Anybody have any ideas on what best to do next?

Old 04-26-2012, 09:01 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The dealership told me not to use those extensions as they leak. Guess its true. Break down and do what I did. Buy the HD gauge (you will eventually anyway). For the rear, I take off the bag and almost lay down to get to it. But it beats some of the alternatives. When you change tires, then have the 90° valve stems put it. Just don't use extensions.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:11 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Solid Billet Motorcycle Tire Valves! 82° Stem!
Great product. Had the same wheels and installed them at the first tire change.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:52 AM
joek
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given the problem that I have now, can I just replace the valve stem, or do you think I have to replace to the whole valve?

Old 04-26-2012, 11:16 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

It depends on the condition of the valve.

The source of this problem is the tight clearance, and as mentioned above, many of us use the stupid h-d gauge to fit it.

extensions, etc can throw the wheel off balance ( by adding weight) and H-D stays away from 90º as they can get sheared off-- and a liability problem.

and I see why as I lost a valve to some road debris once at high speed.

1.) never ride with a low tire "just to make it home", you could easily go down.

1.b) or damage the tire/wheel beyond repair

2.) fix a flat in the saddlebag can be handy ( always tell the reapir guy as the stuff can cause issues, such as fire if he has a butt hanging out of his mouth)

You could always try the dealer and say "i dunno" it's under warranty, right ?

mike

Old 04-26-2012, 12:17 PM
PassRusher75
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would begin by replacing the valve core and check for leaks.
Yes, that valve/spoke is a PITA, far worse than the standard Road King or other mag wheels. Many folks screw the 90 on, put air in, take the 90 adaptor off...

Old 04-26-2012, 12:18 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

only you will know when you remove the extension NEVER use extensions they always wind up leaking That said remove the extension air up the tire and see what happens

Old 04-26-2012, 12:41 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

The billet ones from Motorcycle Anchor are complete replacements that can only be installed when the tire is off. They are absolutely bullet-proof. Sealed with an o-ring and secured with a nut they are rock-solid. Also, they aren't exactly 90* so they give you easier access than if they were totally flat. They're light weight and probably weigh less than the rubber crap that comes with the wheel. Had these and loved them. Changed the wheels eventually because I did not love them.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Ribitt
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got the solid billets on my 07 and so far no issues.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

My independent, who does my tire mounting, put in some super short stems which work great. No 90 degree or any of that stuff, these shorties work awesome.

Quick Reply: Need advice on air valve problem