Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler Help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 06:57 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Muffler Help?

Please, no comments about "if it's too loud, you're too old" or "loud pipes save lives" and all that. Here's my situation: I need to find some mufflers. Here's the bike (pic in sig):

- 2003 FLHRCI
- Cobra True Duals
- K&N Air filter on SE backing plate
- SE EFI Map, plus I have a Fuel Moto PC III on it
- SE 211 Cams
- top end is stock

I've tried the V&H Megaphone slip-ons that were in the bike when I got it. WAY to friggin' loud.

Got some "DNA Fishtails" off eBay for $150. They have about a 2.5" expansion chamber on em, love the look but the bike sounds like the my old Honda Elsinore 250 when I get on it (pissed off chainsaw). Not as loud as the V&H, but still too loud, high-pitched, but most of all, too loud.

Tried some stock take-offs from a 2005-ish CVO FLHTCU, real quiet, but I could live with it I suppose. Problem is the bike ran like cr*p as one would expect. Like it couldn't breathe. Those made it about 2 miles before I pulled them.

So, what I'm looking for is a pair of slip-ons that will let my bike breathe with the A/C, Cams, and all but is not stupid loud. Fishtails/rocket tips would be cool, but at this point, I'm willing to go with anything that meets my not loud+performance need.

The only indy in the area that I would trust to talk to about this closed up shop in February. I can't just keep scooping up mufflers off eBay and slapping them on to see if they work or not.

What say ye?

Old 04-25-2012, 07:40 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 652 Likes on 520 Posts

tunable discs.supertrap or the harley version(not sure what harley calls it)add or remove disc and change from open to closed end cap.these style muffs make really good power even when choked down to really quiet.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Cobra 4" rounds. I don't think they are too loud but wife says i'm not sitting in the rear. Had a set of Wild Pigs on it before with 1.75 baffles and they were pretty decent sounding. Wife liked them better than the Cobra's.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:52 PM
doc ock
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Khrome Werks. Best sound and performance. http://www.khromewerks.com/

Old 04-25-2012, 07:54 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
tunable discs.supertrap or the harley version(not sure what harley calls it)add or remove disc and change from open to closed end cap.these style muffs make really good power even when choked down to really quiet.
That's what I finally went with.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:02 PM
orbit
Road Captain
Received 389 Likes on 214 Posts

Find a set of '06 and up CVO mufflers, remove the stock baffles, replace same with Fullsac 1.75" 'Power Cores'. The '06 and up CVOs feature 4" diameter bodies. More bigger, holds more sound insulation.

Nice and quiet at idle, nice mellow rumble at speed, roar when you twist the wick......

CVO take offs are a dime a dozen on eBay. Fullsac baffles run around $140 shipped.

I have $291 invested in my set, which I'm running on my '06 FLHTP. Head pipes are V & H Dresser Duals. I like this exhaust. I like it a lot.

Last edited by orbit; 04-25-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:03 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Fuel Moto - JackPots - either the 3.5" or 4". You can change the baffles to suit your taste. I have them, and love them.

http://www.jackpotmufflers.com/

Old 04-25-2012, 08:03 PM
turckster
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Supertrapp SE muffler is slightly louder than stock and has an assortment of tips available. The tips are kinda expensive though. I was thinking about getting a pair but ended up getting Klock Werks Super Saver mufflers instead, waiting for them to be delivered. I did consider the Supertrapp Fatshots, its cool that they are adjustable.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:06 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

Like the other guys said; Supertrapp supermegs ( and the made for H-D fatshots and nightsticks ) are tunable with a disc and end cap system to be loud or quiet all the while providing hi flow and good power.

No other pipe does that.

Mike

Old 04-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

The Supertrapp SE series is EXACTLY what you are looking for. They even have fishtail end caps (they are really rocket tails...)You can get them at Phat Performance or Fuel Moto. Both are great companies. I got mine for 500.00 shipped with the tips. They sound GREAT and are not loud...

Quick Reply: Muffler Help?