Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8.5 klockwerks or 9" windvest?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 8.5 klockwerks or 9" windvest?

Wondering if anyone has had experience with both Klockwerks shields and windshields with re-curve such as Windvest or Clearveiw etc. Which one worked better?
I once tried a demo 6.5" KW and it put the wind directly into my eyes. (I'm 5'11") I currently am riding with a 9" Wind-Vest that works pretty good except at speeds above 65mph I get buffeting on the top of my helmet and on a longer ride gets annoying.
I am looking for a dealer in my area to demo a 8.5" KW but don't know if I'll be wasting my time.
Looking for some input from those who have tried both types.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:56 PM
tn_chopper_man
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried the 8.5 Klockwerks along with several others.
The 8.5 did not work for me.

I have settled on the 9in. Windvest.

The one other shield that works just probably as well as the Wind Vest is the flat top LRS.
Just don't like it's looks. JMO

Good luck

Old 04-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tn_chopper_man
I have tried the 8.5 Klockwerks along with several others.
The 8.5 did not work for me.

I have settled on the 9in. Windvest.

The one other shield that works just probably as well as the Wind Vest is the flat top LRS.
Just don't like it's looks. JMO

Good luck
Thanks for the input I was kinda thinking that the WV would outperform the KW. I also tried the LRS but it's now part of my windshield collection because the Wind-Vest works better for me.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:48 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a HD Windsplitter on the RG. I had read a bunch of not so great reviews on the forums, but I talked the dealer into throwing it in on the sale of the bike. In all honesty, I like it. I know its not the same as the RG, but after seeing the post that was on here about the new program HD is doing, it may be worth looking into. I guess at "participating dealers" they are doing a demo program for shields and seats. They throw it on your bike at no charge and let you test ride it.....

Old 04-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Sallyman
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at Seacoast HD in NH last week and the sales guy gave a customer a new windvest shield and told him to try it for a few days and if he didn't like it to bring it back no questions asked. I wish I hadn't been just passing through...

Old 04-25-2012, 05:17 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
Wondering if anyone has had experience with both Klockwerks shields and windshields with re-curve such as Windvest or Clearveiw etc. Which one worked better?
I once tried a demo 6.5" KW and it put the wind directly into my eyes. (I'm 5'11") I currently am riding with a 9" Wind-Vest that works pretty good except at speeds above 65mph I get buffeting on the top of my helmet and on a longer ride gets annoying.
I am looking for a dealer in my area to demo a 8.5" KW but don't know if I'll be wasting my time.
Looking for some input from those who have tried both types.
I have a 8.5 KW and a 8.0 Wind Vest. I prefer the air pocket behind the Wind Vest. The KW allows more buffeting.

The real key to reducing buffeting is to block the upcoming air from the forks and under the batwing. I installed the black HD ashtray between the forks and some fork wind deflectors from eBay and I can ride all day with the stock 4" shield. I wear a full-face helmet BTW...

Old 04-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Smeeth
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I been reading forums for a long time but just got an I.d for the site. I did a lot of research on the KW and thought it would be good so i bought one last week... I am 6' with a 30" inseam and I cant use the 8.5" KW over 50 m.p.h. My half helmet shakes so bad i can't see straight. I say find someone with a shield and try it, don't blow the $200 on a maybe.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

It would appear from the comments I receive to stay away from the KW 8.5" flare.