Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well decided to ride a metric cruiser and compare

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasSG
Maybe this'll make sense to Psycho Steve: Remember the muscle car era?
Datsun came out with this cool little car called a 240Z, affordable, reliable and cute; Chevrolet had the Camaro with several big blocks available. All good cars, just different and.....I never saw anyone drooling over a 240Z.

Get it?
Datsun 240Z's were cool. I never thought of them as competition for muscle cars like the Camaro. More aimed at the sport car market traditionally dominated by the Brits and Germans.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:48 PM
NomadUC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Started riding at 50. I had a 2005 Nomad. Men did I liked the bike. When from Montreal to Lousiana and back with my wife in the back. What a nice trip. Never even thought of asking my wife of trying an HD. Then one day, in 2007, there was a demo ride. Went down with wife and friends. Tried a 2007 Ultra Classic. With my wife still sitting behind, I pushed on the starter and thats when it all started. Had goose bumps just feeling the vibration and my heart started going at 1000 rpm. Went for a 15 minute ride. When we came back, I stopped the bike and my wife said to me "why didn't you try this bike years ago". She didn't have to say another word. Right at that moment, I traded my Nomad for a 2007 UC. Lost the bike this spring in an accident. Took care of my injuries and 3 weeks ago, got my new 2009 UC. Never looked back. Still get those goose bumps everytime I hit the starter. But one thing is sure. If for any reasons, HD would stop making bikes, I would probably consider going back to a Nomad but until then........let my heart go 1000 rpm.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:33 PM
StrongIslander
Cruiser

The door swings both ways but we never lock it, You gott'a be happy and it's your cash, stop back once in a while, lights always on...Happy Trails....

Old 10-08-2008, 08:41 PM
rfultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sad..... really sad.....

Old 10-08-2008, 09:00 PM
fireglider
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

To each his own.....Glad you're happy with your scoot, I hope you get as much enjoyment from it as I do from mine. They're all good bikes, IMHO. Come visit sometime.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Gwjvw
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by skater69

I have seen that vrod before,very nice, he won first place at the hog rally!

Old 10-08-2008, 09:54 PM
wood butcher
Tourer

Originally Posted by skater69
Been searching....well really saving for a 1/2 down paymentfor an '07 EG standard since I rented many '06 baggers recently (2RGs, 2 EG classics)and then the '07 Street Glide....... '07 motor and 6 speedwon me over. But mucho dinero of course for an '07 and my "expensive tastes".

Meantime I checked out some guy's '05 Kawi Nomad 1600 on cycletrader (7K miles)....intrigued me b/c the guy was leaving all the extras on the bike: VH bigshots, pcIII, lightbar, grips, hwy pegs, risers, aftermarket cruise, utopia backrest,extended warranty. Couldn't believe how loaded this thing was. Guy had a Yamaha Venture as well....didn't need 2 bikes he said.

Drove 100 mi to see it......rode it......sorry to say.......goodbye Harley. I kept telling myself ......but it won't have the HD soul, character...the bike will be missing something, be boring. Wrong...very wrong. It may not sound like an HD but goddamn does it sound good.....and mean and like a big thumper should. And the aircleaner doesn't hit my damn leg like on the HD baggers...and the floorboards are placed a little wider so my feet can actually use them and not be skirting on the edges like the HD baggers I've ridden. The brakes do not squeal and are superior.
No 6th speed but 5th is a nice overdrive anyway. And the bags blow the HD baggers away...easier to open, close and store LOTS more. And I have to admit the meaty 170 rear rubber looks better than the HD popsicle tire.

I liked all the HDs I rode but this Nomad flat out beats it IMO. And the best part is it rides/sounds like a BEAST......not in theLEAST boring but still the cadillac ride like the HD baggers w/the dual rear air shocks.
For $8250....cost difference was insane. Depreciation? Could care less....for what I bought it for and I'll be riding her into the ground anyway.

Only posting this in case someone else was in my boat and didn't have much $$$ and thought they needed $20K to get a nice bagger.....you don't.
I thought I did. Not bashing HDs but the freakin' Nomad rocks. About 2/3rds of the riders I go out with are on HDs and they could care less what you ride so "fitting in" wasn't an issue. Anyway that's my honest review.

You sound like the two guys I (used to) ride with. The had Yamahas. One tourer and one cruiser. (can't remember the names) When I told them I was getting back into riding and buying a Road King they told me I was crazy to buy a Harley for all the reasons the metric guys have. Funny thing was that they both dressed in the leather vests and jackets even when it's 100 degrees, chaps and do rags trying to be cool. Both of their bikes ran out of gas long before mine so I never had to worry if we'd make it to a gas station. It totally pissed them off when someone would walk past their bikes to look at mine. When I tried the guys touring bike I told him it felt like I was riding on a high chair. In my opinion, the bodywork on the metrics looks like an aweful desperate attempt, especially the front fenders, The side load saddlebags make no sense. All of the controls look like they are made out of cheap material. Anyway, these two mooks became so tiresome I finally told them not to call me any more. I would lie and compliment their bikes to try to shut them up but all they did was rag on mine. Imagine everytime you stop to eat or have a beer the aholes your with give you grief about the type of bike you ride. So, finally I told them what I really thought of their bikes and told them to FO and not call me to ride any more. Enjoy what you have but don't try to convince us you got a better set up because you never will.

Last edited by wood butcher; 10-08-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:55 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

does the Kaw have a drive shaft?

Old 10-08-2008, 11:42 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

like one of my buddies said, when you ride a harley and you get to the coffee shop, at least you got someone who'll visit with ya.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:51 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

twinrider,i agree with you. if my corvette had hubcaps, i'd not trade one of them for a friggin 240z, mitsubishi eek lips, lexus or any of that hong kong crap. i dig my 03 vette convertible, and it rocks, with fantastic resale should i ever want to sell it. and as for the nomad, nice lookin bike, i hope you have lots of fun with it. i sorta liked the drifter, the indian lookin thing,the back fender treatment looks neat. anyway, ride safe and have fun.

Quick Reply: Well decided to ride a metric cruiser and compare