Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well decided to ride a metric cruiser and compare

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 09:10 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

While at my local HD dealer the other day a guy with some kind of Japanese touring bike was asking one of the mechanics if he could set his idle lower so it would sound like a Harley. The mech told him to go up front and see one of the salesmen, they could take care of his desire to ride a bike that sounds like a Harley.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:17 AM
kc10boom
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in the same boat, I started off on a 2000 Valkyrie, then went to a 2005 Goldwing. Most HD riders I rode with weren't hung up on the whole "Harley" deal, and many of them actually like the look of the Valkyrie.

I was in the whole "cost" thing, a loaded Goldwing (ABS, Navi, airbag, premium audio) will run you about $21k, and that is from dealer that does alot of business and you pay tags and tax in whatever state you live in. I know airbag sounds like a silly option, but I've read several stories of guys having head-ons with people turning in front of them and escaped with bruises and being sore.

So I compared it to Harley Ultra Classic which a solid color goes for $23699 that includes security and ABS. By the time you toss in a CB system, headsets (which you get a drive one with the Ultra Classic), floorboards and comfort items you'll spend about $1000-$1500 more on a HD..and if you're forking out $21K+...I'd rather put out another the extra cash and get what will make me happy for years to come. The analog gauges really sets that bike apart, I hate digital crap except for radios. I think the cash you pay for an in-dash nav system is a rip off on the GWs, I'd rather buy an aftermarket for $250.

Of course Goldwings have the performance edge, however a touring bike to me is to take a laid back ride through the backroads and the HDs have plenty for that.

I just retired from the Air Force, so maybe I just want to continue and support what I fought for during the past 20 years, and the American icon of HD and what it represents (plus it's a great bike) is what put me home on it.

Either way, to ride is to ride..all about what makes you happy. Ride safe.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:49 AM
WildSportster1200
Stage III

Hi guys, I just found out about this site and have been reading a bit before I came across this thread. My dad has an '04 Nomad 1600, it's a nice bike but it's no Harley... as others have mentioned. Sure, my '06 Sportster 1200 cost more, BUT IT'S A FREAKING HARLEY! I keep trying to get him to sell his Kawi and come over to the true biker gang but he keeps blabbing on about how Harleys are so expensive and he likes his bike better than mine and he's got more accessories for less money and maitenance isn't as much and blah, blah, blah... That's all I hear from him. He'll know what he's missing as soon as he gets on a Harley!

Old 10-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Noozpaz
Stage I

No doubt Harleys are unique (supersport chicks are good on the eyes, though!!), but I'm quite open to riding with guys on Japs. Years ago we were having lunch during a group ride, and this guy (on a Yamaha Virago 535!!) asks if he can join. We had a few laughs, of course, but then let him in for the day. Why not?

Old 10-08-2008, 10:03 AM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Out of the 8 guys I ride with regularly only 1 has an HD. I'm just happy to be with other guys who ride and love bikes.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:10 AM
chiluagrl
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Noozpaz
No doubt Harleys are unique (supersport chicks are good on the eyes, though!!), but I'm quite open to riding with guys on Japs. Years ago we were having lunch during a group ride, and this guy (on a Yamaha Virago 535!!) asks if he can join. We had a few laughs, of course, but then let him in for the day. Why not?
i used to be a SSgrl! but real men ride harleys, you meet more lifetime friends on a harley than any jap crap.

-Chilua

Old 10-08-2008, 10:15 AM
WildSportster1200
Stage III

Originally Posted by chiluagrl
i used to be a SSgrl! but real men ride harleys, you meet more lifetime friends on a harley than any jap crap.

-Chilua
Hell yes! There's nothing like cruising down the freeway with the wind blowing in your hair and bug guts smeared across your teeth because you can't stop grinning at the fact that you have a real bike. How the hell can those ss nards enjoy riding with all that gear on anyway?

Old 10-08-2008, 10:21 AM
chiluagrl
5th Gear

Originally Posted by WildSportster1200
Hell yes! There's nothing like cruising down the freeway with the wind blowing in your hair and bug guts smeared across your teeth because you can't stop grinning at the fact that you have a real bike. How the hell can those ss nards enjoy riding with all that gear on anyway?
- i dunno who you be hatin on ... we all ride .. some people just ride better bikes than the rest.

-Chilua

Old 10-08-2008, 10:32 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also happen to believe that whenever you can say "keep it on two", whatever those two happen to be bolted to is the rider's choice. In addition, I too wouldn't bother to go to a Honda or whatever site and tell everyone there why I will never ride anything except a Harley again. Who cares if they're ignorant.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:43 AM
HDdroolin'
Stage II

Originally Posted by WildSportster1200
bug guts smeared across your teeth because you can't stop grinning at the fact that you have a real bike.
You crazy???

Quick Reply: Well decided to ride a metric cruiser and compare