Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well decided to ride a metric cruiser and compare

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 08:32 PM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 09RoadGlide
Well, I cant speak for the others but it seems pointless to go on a forum and then procede to tell everyone how you dont like the bike the forum supports.

I dont onto a goldwing site and tell them why i chose a RG over a wing. Im sure they dont want to hear it, neither do I
+1 on that.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:06 PM
thekidnkaren
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brycesdad
I had to join this forum just so I could post on this. I would like to know why some riders feel that they have the right to bash another guys bike. I currently have a Honda VTX 1800. I consider myself a rider. I average about 15,000 miles a year on my bike. I've completed Iron butt rides. I think my annual milage and iron butt status verifies that I Ride alot. (if we didn't have winter and this work thing. I'm sure I'd have alot more miles) I have looked at HD and just didn't feel like the bike fit me well. kinda like trying to fit into those jeans that don't fit anymore. love the bike but didn't seem to fit. now the 09's seem to be a different story. feels taller?? anyway, I've always been turned off by the attitude that "when are you going to get a real bike?" as if other choices are'nt allowed in this world. I find it hard to take criticism about my bike from a guy that rides to the corner bar and back. those of you that are truly riders. really understand it's about the ride. I've never tried to make my bike become a harley. I've made many changes to it to make it "fit" my riding style but never would I fall into the trap that "it's almost as good as a HD" It is what it is. is it better than yours? some maybe. some not. Is yours better than mine. some maybe, some not. I've seen the bashing go both ways so it's not a one way street. I've had my bike for three years now and now I'm ready for a brand new bike. I'm going to consider a new Ultra as an option. Not because I wanna fit in with the cool kids. but because it looks like I could ride it longer into the cooler seasons thanks to weather protection. I'd consider a wing but I'm a tall guy and the v-twin allows more leg room. Don't know if this makes sense but it's my rant. I hope everyone enjoys there ride on two wheels. any day on the bike is a good day

Rick
Well Rick, I own a truck but my Daughter has had it since March when her car broke down. My Harley IS my transportation and since I live in Fla, I ride year round. I didn't go on the Honda site and slam them. I realize you didn't come here to slam Harleys nor did you come here picking apart Harleys as the Kamsaki rider who started this post. The people on here for the most part are helpful and kind but, much as a family, you come on here to mess with one as an outsider, you mess with us all!

The Rick (Add the P where you like)LOL

Old 09-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Brycesdad
Stage IV

Originally Posted by 09RoadGlide
Well, I cant speak for the others but it seems pointless to go on a forum and then procede to tell everyone how you dont like the bike the forum supports.

I dont onto a goldwing site and tell them why i chose a RG over a wing. Im sure they dont want to hear it, neither do I
I do agree with you! he picked the wrong place to brag about his metric and to put down HD. I guess I should have woke up a little more before posting this morning. it's just that I've been basically attacked at one point for not owning a harley and "putting all that chrome" on my honda. I did it because I thought it looked nice. not because I was trying to make it look like a bike that it isn't. It's one bad apple that spoils the bunch.

I'm Sorry if I offended anyone. It wasn't my intention

is it worth saving the $ to buy a EGC over an Ultra? how much should I expect to pay for a 09 black Ultra? I don't buy for resale. I just want to enjoy my ride.

Rick (without the P)thanks

Old 09-11-2008, 10:33 PM
socalmoe
Tourer

I had to have an HD, had many other bikes and now have an 08 EGC,
a 2008 Yamaha FZ1 but had to have an HD.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:49 PM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

riding a metric bike is just like phucking a fat ugly chick. It's OK until someone you know sees you doing it!

Old 09-12-2008, 12:26 AM
ky_ace
Road Master

Originally Posted by LAWMAN
Hey I had a Volusia as well. Everyone would tell me to take the tank stickers off to make it look like a Harley, take the oem pipes off and put others on to make it SOUND like a Harley. Everyone would say it looks like a Harley and I would tell them that it's not. I kept my Volusia stock....why make a bike look like something (HARLEY) that it's not?!?!?!? My Volusia was a great bike to work on my riding skills and get comfortable riding again. Since I bought my Harley Road Kingin Feb 2006 I have 10,105 miles andboy were those miles a BLAST to put on. I can;t say that about my Volusia.
are you kidding me... you are calling someone out for buying a bike other than a Harley, and you've ONLY put 10,000 miles on a TOURING bike in 2 years... I bought my RKC in March and I've put 7,500 on it, with it being stored for 3 weeks due to moving.

All you people that think you're better than a guy that DECIDES that he WANTS to spend under 10K on a bike that will do the SAME job as a Harley. Believe it or not, some people buy BIKES and not NAMES. Yeah, i have a Harley, but that's because I like the road king's sound, ride, and looks. But I also have a.... (OH MY GOD) Kawasaki dual sport bike.

As other people have said, he might have had better places to say how he likes his Kawi, but as far as I'm concerned as long as you're on two wheels, you're a biker.

As i have said since i was 18 and riding a HONDA...

15 grand and 15 miles don't make you a biker...

BM

Old 09-12-2008, 01:54 AM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I'm glad he's happy with his metric. His public service announcement wasn't well received here...imagine that! My friend has the same bike as the OP was advertising, and while it still runs fine, it's already showing several of the "quality" differences after sitting out in the hot desert sun. Paint, rubber, plastic and even some of the chrome make the bike appear older than it really is. So while he complains about the bikes cosmetic issues, I just smile and recall all of his comments about "not being able to justify the price difference between a H-D and a comparable metric bike."

The resale market certainly values like years/features drastically different too, but to each his/her own. If you're happy with whay you ride, then good on ya!

Happy Trails!

Old 09-12-2008, 05:27 AM
Old Gray Beard
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DZLDR
riding a metric bike is just like phucking a fat ugly chick. It's OK until someone you know sees you doing it!
Guess you got seen?? lol

Old 09-21-2008, 12:11 AM
XfasteddieX
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i road metrics for years & had some damn nice ones too .i own harleys now .but will still jump on the neighbors beamer r1150gs when i need a quick blast or his 650 kawasaki on road off road .ill ride any thing on two wheels except honda shadows they sound like a$$.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:20 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Quite a few Harley owners started off riding a metric, but it is very rare to find a metric rider that started off riding a Harley. That is because Harley is the top of the line and as people get more experienced and wiser they naturally move up the ladder.

I have a friend with a new Yamaha, Road Star. We rode over to his folks house so he could show it off to his dad. When his dad came out to look at the bikes, the first thing he said was great looking Harley and walked past the Yamaha to check out my bike.
I felt bad for his son, but he got the Yamaha because it was cheaper and he said the Harley cost too much.
Tom

Quick Reply: Well decided to ride a metric cruiser and compare