Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well decided to ride a metric cruiser and compare

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Skater, Nice looking bike.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Papamte
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Enjoy it Skater! My son has one and loves it.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:17 PM
IRready
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No matter what, it is a Kawasaki. If that does it for you, then good for you. It will never do it for me. I owned one once, it was all I could afford. I also owned a Honda and 2Victories. Still not a Harley. I worked up till I got my HD and will never look back. Until you get there, ride what you can. But once I got there, thats it. If you don't have that feeling, then ride your Kawasaki You either get the feeling or you don't. Ride safe.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:54 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Imitation is just that, imitation. These bikes (metric cruisers) have never impressed me. Its a mock up to the HD with plastic covers formed to further capture the imitation. The metric manufacturers constantly change these platforms, making them year model sensitive and pricey for replacement parts. The manufacturers further increase displacement so buyers feel like they are getting something better to offset the fact that its imitation. The nomad in general is a gas guzzler by cruiser standards. On the flip side metrics are generally better handling, have better performance, and smoother drivetrains. The bottom line, its your baby, and you dont have to justify it to anyone. From an economic standpoint, you saved money. From a cultural experience into the icon of American motorcycles your out, and posing.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:17 AM
geeded
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a new Vulcan 1500 Classic back in the 90's because at that time, there was at least a year wait for an HD and they were charging WAY over list for them (This was in Northern Virginia near DC) and before widespread Internet. It was a nice bike and I enjoyed riding and modding it. I was one of the founders of VROC and it is amazing how many HD cosmetic parts fit on that bike with minimal changes. I tried my best to make it look like what it wasn't and it did look good and I did learn a lot. I drove that bike until around 2003 when I sold it and lost a bunch. Just like on an HD, extras are worth zip in resale.

Thus ended my 30 years of biking until just a couple of years ago. My Son had bought a 94 Vulcan 800 (?) per my advice, to learn on during his senior year at West Point (Class of '06) for around 2k and to see if he enjoyed riding. There were 4 Cadets (including Josh) that rode all over the place, sleeping on the ground, generally enjoying being young...a Buell, Josh's Vulcan, a new HD bought with his Cow loan, and a generic Honda.

Since then, he sold it when he graduated and was assigned to the 101st, but we still rented bikes for riding in the mountains here and different HD's to see what we liked, SG, Ultra, RKC, etc. He bought his '08 RKC in Iraq through the Military program and had it waiting when he came back for R&R. He's back in Iraq now and recently found out that his good friend with the Buell was KIA'ed in Afghanistan & that tore him up. He left the bike with me to ride and enjoy. I certainly do love that RK. It's everything I wanted when I bought the Vulcan but didn't get.

My wife actually started riding with me and started saying positive things about the ride, handling, the sound, feel, etc. Next thing I know she's agreeing to me buying one for my 60th bd. She said there was something about the HD that she liked but never felt on the Vulcan....She said that! Shocked? If you knew her, you would be also.

So now I ride my Son's bike and he has ordered another one that will be delivered in December when he returns. It actually took a war for us to complete our motorcycle dreams....his when he's 25 and mine at 60. He is one smart man and I thank him for allowing me to realize what I was missing before it was too late, and that after 38 years, I too am a Harley rider. Thanks Josh!

Cheers, geeded

Old 09-10-2008, 11:22 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's a great story to end this thread on!

Old 09-10-2008, 11:23 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those are nice bikes. They sound more like a Harley than a Harley does.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:27 AM
thomaskray
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc
All I can say is Kawasaki Forum enjoy the ride.
Amen. Goodbye.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:29 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WTF! this thread was started almost 2 yrs ago.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:06 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I've had Kawas, Hondas and Harleys and have enjoyed them all.

Quick Reply: Well decided to ride a metric cruiser and compare