Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well decided to ride a metric cruiser and compare

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 12:19 AM
hogdvr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Well decided to ride a metric cruiser and compare

I come from a lifetime of riding metric sport bikes not cruisers. When the time came to hang up the leathers and go with something people my age ride there was only one choice, Harley Davidson. I'm not saying your bike will not be a great ride. What I am saying is, that it is and always will be a copycat of the real deal. Harley was the ORIGINAL big bike cruiser. When the biggest bike on the street was a Norton750 and later 850 and the Brits dominated the 650 class it was HD that had the BIG cruiser. The Electra Glide.

Since owning my Ultra I can say that it:

1. is overpriced
2. vibrates too much (compared to a metric bike that is)
3.has a never ending cost factor forcrap you can't resist buying for it even though your better judgment says to stop cause you don't really need it
4.can overheat in traffic
5.is technologically in the dark ages
6. has a never ending bunch of little things that have to be tweaked all the time

and a bunch more stuff.....but you get the idea.

BUT, when it is all said and done, man, there is nothing like the feel of that old fashioned air cooled V-twin all American dream. It is something indescribable. You either love it or you don't. I do and I wouldn't ride any other bike now than my HD.It took a lifetime for me to get to this point but now that I'm here I'm here to stay.

I wish you great riding with your new bike. We are all part of the same fraternity of two wheelers. Be safe! :-)

Old 05-24-2008, 12:43 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

NUFF SAID

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoID=2789685

Old 05-24-2008, 05:33 AM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: flvnrider

I don't really think it matters what anyone rides. I've been reading this forum thread and think it's retarded. I CHOSE to buy a Kawasaki because it actually runs. I rented a few Harleys and so did my dad and we both think its funny how people can actually fake themselves in liking vibrating pieces of crap that need to be fixed all the time. Every metric bike we have owned has never had a problem. I don't ever bash Harleys and none of my friends do either. We just all ride together and hang out. I was really interested in getting a bike for the past year now. I see all of these Harley vs. topics and wanted to clarify why I think Kawasaki owners actually have Kawasaki motorcycles, at least why I do.

In December, I rented a Harley Sportster 883 with my girlfriend on the back. We liked it. We loved the wind and the freedom. And remember November and December are the best times to ride in Florida during the day.

Shortly after, I was looking at Harleys and seeing which one I liked. It was funny because the more I looked, the more I really didn't like them. I got so turned off by them.

This is when I started looking at Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, and Kawasaki.

My dad rode motorcycles since he was in high school and always owned Kawasaki and Honda. He said that they were the most reliable and he never had to fix them. They ran and ran. He sold them in 1986 when I was born.

This is when I was convinced that I need a reliable bike. I talk to Harley guys and they admit that they are always tweaking them and fixin them.

I was looking at the Kawasaki models and fell in love with my 900 Custom. So it wasn't about price or brand name or anything like that. I just CHOSE to ride my awesome 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom.

Now, the thing is, my girlfriend's Uncle is one of those die hard kick everyone down Harley people and when I got my bike, my girlfriend's dad said, you need to hook up with my brother-in-law. I think i'm going to pass only because I don't wanna hear the jibber-jabber of how I didn't get a Harley. I love my Kawasaki and I'm not in the race with who has the better bike or anything.

Just remember, money can buy anything. I could have gotten a $20k Harley, but instead I prefer to ride in what I feel comfortable with, a VN900. I am proud to own the bike that I do and I hope all of the other Kawasaki owners do.

And that, is why you will never, ever, ever get it.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:22 AM
omega5m14
Cruiser

Here's two forums you'll enjoy. Tell 'em Dano sent you.
http://www.kawanow.org/ (dedicated to the Nomad only)
http://forums.about.com/kawvulcan/start?lgnJR=1
As you can see by my sip pic, I have a 1600 Nomad, a
2006 model and it's a great bike. I had an 04 1600 Classic but
after a couple years, decided I really wanted a bagger so I
traded for the Nomad. Had it painted the color I wanted,
dressed it upwith a Quadzilla fairing that has a 200 watt
am/fm/cd/sirus/ stereo system and a few other do-dads and
then triked it with a MTC for my wife. Then bought myself
a tricked out 05 Ultra Classic for my work bike. (all I can say
to you young guys is "buy land". You'll appreciate it in the
future)
Anyway, the Nomad is a heck of a good bike. Not
as manuverable at low speeds due to the nearly 5 inches
of extra wheel base and rakebut on the interstate it's
like a rockat 80mph all day long.
Congradulations,

[IMG]local://upfiles/58905/60082B432D5A4D989028261381E83181.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-24-2008, 08:14 AM
bladesmith
Advanced

I have an interest in all makes and styles of bikes. Thank goodness not every bike is a Harley because if they were, life would be so dull

There are only so many styles you can dress a bike up,...... dirt, dual, street, sport or cruiser. Just because a metric bike is dressed up as a cruiser does not mean its a wannabe cruiser, anymore than a Harley V Rod is wannabe a metric.

Some may find it hard to believe, but not everyones ultimate goal is to ride and own a Harley, even if they are riding a metric cruiser. Some prefer a shaft drive,water cooled and a smoother engine, ..others prefer Harleys for the opposite reasons. Each to their own, they are all good.

Because of ever increasing EPA regulations, maybe HD will also need to go the water cooled engine, thermostat fan and radiator route, with quieter exhausts, ..... [&o]...if that happens then it will be a great shame and an end of an era.

One thing that a metric bike can NEVER claim fame for is the Harley Davidson heritage and tradition. Nothing is as American as 'Harley Davidson', except maybe apple pie.

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 05-24-2008, 09:07 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Good looking bike ya got there. I always have liked the looks of the nomad. Unless I am mistaken the Kawaski nomad is the bike HD filed the law suite for the sound. I have several bikes and really like each one for a reason. I am sure some will appreciate your post. You do need to understand this is a Harley forum.
As long as you are riding it's cool with me. It doesn't matter what you ride. Thats why there are so many available to chose from.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:16 AM
Mathews2
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

man this thread was started 1.5 years ago and revived by a banned troll. It is like the freaking energizer bunny

Old 05-24-2008, 09:40 AM
e666h
Advanced

Looks gay-Sounds gay. It's gay.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Keith1450
Advanced
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

That link to the HD video is freakin' kool.

As for this thread...I can not believe it is still going! and worse yet, I read alot of it.

Same video at the HD website... http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...bmLocale=en_US

Old 05-24-2008, 10:39 AM
kmvallee
Cruiser

uhhh NOT!!

Quick Reply: Well decided to ride a metric cruiser and compare