Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well decided to ride a metric cruiser and compare

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Kroozer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Well decided to ride a metric cruiser and compare

I did the exact opposite. I had three Kawasakis (Vulcan 750, Vulcan 1500 Classic, Vulcan Nomad - in that order). The last one, the Nomad, had V&H pipes, all kinds of aftermarket goodies, and it was "almost" a Harley - except for a serious lack of "personality"! I sold it last September, and bought a brand new 08 Ultra. First, there was a "learning curve", getting used to the Harley - the liquid cooled, balanced engine on the Kawi was addicting, but the power and torque was less, the riding position was different (wider bars), and the damn thing only liked going straight! I kid you not, if you got on the highway, and rode it all day, it was a great ride. But take it to the side roads, and she just didn't like to turn very well. Had to kinda struggle with it. The Kawi is much more top heavy than the Ultra, and especially at slow speeds, it's a bitch to maneuver. I find the Ultra to be a lot more nimble, and easier to handle. And it goes straight, just as well. Sure, it costs more(over $10K more), it shakes like a cement truck at idle, it fries your right leg and thigh, but I still love riding her more, than any other bike I ever rode!

Old 05-23-2008, 03:45 PM
1hagop
Advanced

Congrats on the new bike! Looks fun!
All that matters is you enjoy it!
For all those people who say "its just not HD" you are the same ones who talk to me when I pullupto the HD dealer with my Road Glide and ignore me when I pull up on my V-rod!
I AM THE RED HEADED STEP CHILD!

Old 05-23-2008, 04:14 PM
avalauncher
Intermediate

I make no judgements, I just do what is right for me.

That said, in the early nineties when Harley's were few and far between, I bellied up to the bar, put down my deposit, and waited on the list 3 years for the Springer to be mine. Two years after the deposit, and a year before moving to the front of the list, I did it again to get on the list for the Sportie for my wife. People laughed at me, couldn't believe I'd go thru those pains. Didn't matter, I could always see the light at the end of the tunnel. When the Springer came in, I hauled it back from Mpls to Denver. Got it out of the truck and in the garage, stood back and had to fight back tears. Trust me, every day of the 3 year wait was worthwhile. But, again, that's me. One of my friends would look at it and drool. Claimed he had to have one. Saw him few months later, said he caved, got a metric. Mattered not to me.

So, we're standing in my garage, looking at the Springer and he's telling me how great it rides, sounds, runs and what a gorgeous color it is. I looked at him and said, "That's really great - just one problem". He looked at me, then looked at down, shook his head and muttered "But it ain't a Harley".

Get what you want, just be sure that is what you want.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:46 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

had o kawi back in the day fast as hell dont know how i lived through it, but the sound of a 3 cyl 2 stroke .............

Old 05-23-2008, 06:46 PM
RK2002
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: 55Bubba

Good luck on your bike, nice looking ride and I hope you enjoy it. I just hope you didn't "settle" for it because you couldn't afford a Harley. I find that usually is what happens, Dude wants a Harely but can't afford one so he gets a metric and tries to Harely it up but it's just like Marrying an ugly girl and getting her bigger ***** and dyeing her hair and sending her to a fat farm. No matter what you do, it'll never be Harely and she'll never be beautiful.You'll keep telling yourself, it's just as good as a Harley, It's just as good as a Harley. But it aint.

Bubba
I have to laugh, my first bike was a '69 Electra Glide and have owned several brands and sizes. When I decided to buy a bike in '02 I ended up with a Road King for two reasons, It brought back memories of my old EG and I couldn't afford a Gold Wing. I realize now that for the kind of riding I do now the RK is the right bike for me. But it's no Gold Wing. Am I out of the club now?

Old 05-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Hugh Jass
Tourer

Had a Kaw as well. Great bike to own! Enjoy the ride bro!

Old 05-23-2008, 09:45 PM
flvnrider
Banned

Your just plain pathetic. Get a ****in life. I think its funny that people live and die by harley because they are American. YOu all are living a lie... they are made in Japan like everything else... the only difference is that mine actually works. Some Harley riders are just so ignorant. They don't even know what they are actually riding... they just jumped on the bandwagon and listened to everyone else and decided to buy a Harley. Good job... way to think by yourself.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:36 PM
shoveldog
Tourer

My experience is just the opposite. I've got a 2005 Royal Star bagger that is sweet, and I thought would be the last bike I'd ever need. I've had them all, and Yamaha makes a great machine as far as I'm concerned, butits been gathering dust since the RK hit town.

[IMG]local://upfiles/52026/6F41826964BC42529635BDBFC497735F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-23-2008, 10:54 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

don't hate -- and swearing never does anybody good -- enjoy your vulcan -- let theothers enjoy their rides -- now go to the kawi forum and have fun
ORIGINAL: flvnrider

Your just plain pathetic. Get a ****in life. I think its funny that people live and die by harley because they are American. YOu all are living a lie... they are made in Japan like everything else... the only difference is that mine actually works. Some Harley riders are just so ignorant. They don't even know what they are actually riding... they just jumped on the bandwagon and listened to everyone else and decided to buy a Harley. Good job... way to think by yourself.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:03 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

There's only one Rolex.
If you don't understand that.....nevermind...........

Quick Reply: Well decided to ride a metric cruiser and compare