Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well decided to ride a metric cruiser and compare

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 04:44 PM
maltezebluez96
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Well decided to ride a metric cruiser and compare

I almost did the exact same thing because of money. But,.....after some REAL soul searching I came to the conclusion that I had dreamt of owning a Harley and that was exactly what I was going to do. Every time I get on my bike I feel GREAT! I knew that if I had went the other way everytime I would come up next to a Harley I would be kicking myself in the ***. I had to have one. After being married twice and raising several children it was my time. So now I am the proud owner of a gorgeous EGC that is just like a kid.....everytime I turn around it needs something else. Chrome this Chrome that,....etc..... But,.....I Love It. There's just something about saying (when someone asks) what do you ride?.....I can hold my head up and say I have a HARLEY DAVIDSON.....
The best of luck to those that went another direction,.....but for me it's Harley Davidson and only Harley Davidson......

RIDE ON

Old 01-01-2007, 04:45 PM
billk
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking scoot, and best to you for many fun, safe miles in the wind. I had Beemers, British, and Hondas...but none IMHO beat the Harley charisma. And, if it weren't for the competition, imagine what we would be paying for our HD's. I've always thought that HD should give their bikes away and just charge for the mods....but I guess they have the best of both worlds.[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 01-01-2007, 04:48 PM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My motorcycle history.....

I wanted a Harley.....I bought a metric

I wanted a Harley.....I bought a bigger metric

I wanted a Harley.....I bought a metric that looked and sounded like a Harley

I wanted a Harley.....I finally bought a Harley

No matter what the metric dealer tells you there really is no substitute for the genuine article.....

nogood o~`o

Old 01-01-2007, 04:58 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

just my personal thoughts,,,I have a phobeo sence childhood for feighren things espcially vehicles but have worked thru it to some extent. but I would still be embarest to ride a rice burner. now thats just me,I may be crazy,,,,phyc! I am crazy.
You may have many reasons of your own. good luck and still drop in now and then !

Old 01-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Skater69, nice looking bike and great price too. Lots of luck, enjoy.
Last year I went your route, bought myself a big Yamaha cause it was half the price of what I really wanted. I did everything I could to make it look like a harley but it never was. I found myself always comparing and even though I owned a really nice bike in my gut I wanted a Harley. So, the outcome was that I took a beating on the Yamaha, traded it on a Street Glide and now my soul is content.

Old 01-01-2007, 05:38 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: voodoodrug

just my personal thoughts,,,I have a phobeo sence childhood for feighren things espcially vehicles but have worked thru it to some extent. but I would still be embarest to ride a rice burner. now thats just me,I may be crazy,,,,phyc! I am crazy.
You may have many reasons of your own. good luck and still drop in now and then !
Holy cow dude....get a spell checker

The Nomad is a nice ride. But until you own a Harley, you really won't know what you're missing. It's not for everyone. Among the many reasons I bought one is American pride. It is truly an American Icon....Sitting in my garage. That matters to me. It's what almost ALL kids picture in their minds eye when they think "motorcycle". It's what many of us have dreamt of owning since we were kids. It's like a 60's or 70's muscle car. Not perfect, but uniquely American, and no Japanese knockoff can compare. Truthfully, the Nomad is probably better engineered, faster, smoother and less expensive to maintain.But that's not why we owned muscle cars...or Harley's.

"If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand", is a H-D catchphrase that I "didn't understand" until afterI purchased. You are welcome to ride with me anytime, as I enjoy riding...period. But until you own and ride a Harley, you won't really understand.

Old 01-01-2007, 05:44 PM
SubZer0
Road Master

To bad it's so damn ugly.

ORIGINAL: skater69

Been searching....well really saving for a 1/2 down paymentfor an '07 EG standard since I rented many '06 baggers recently (2RGs, 2 EG classics)and then the '07 Street Glide....... '07 motor and 6 speedwon me over. But mucho dinero of course for an '07 and my "expensive tastes".

Meantime I checked out some guy's '05 Kawi Nomad 1600 on cycletrader (7K miles)....intrigued me b/c the guy was leaving all the extras on the bike: VH bigshots, pcIII, lightbar, grips, hwy pegs, risers, aftermarket cruise, utopia backrest,extended warranty. Couldn't believe how loaded this thing was. Guy had a Yamaha Venture as well....didn't need 2 bikes he said.

Drove 100 mi to see it......rode it......sorry to say.......goodbye Harley. I kept telling myself ......but it's won't have the HD soul, character...the bike will be missing something, be boring. Wrong...very wrong. It may not sound like an HD but goddamn does it sound good.....and mean and like a big thumper should. And the aircleaner doesn't hit my damn leg like on the HD baggers...and the floorboards are placed a little wider so my feet can actually use them and not be skirting on the edges like the HD baggers I've ridden. The brakes do not squeal and are superior.
No 6th speed but 5th is a nice overdrive anyway. And the bags blow the HD baggers away...easier to open, close and store LOTS more. And I have to admit the meaty 170 rear rubber looks better than the HD popsicle tire.

I liked all the HDs I rode but this Nomad flat out beats it IMO. And the best part is it rides/sounds like a BEAST......not in theLEAST boring but still the cadillac ride like the HD baggers w/the dual rear air shocks.
For $8250....cost difference was insane. Depreciation? Could care less....for what I bought it for and I'll be riding her into the ground anyway.

Only posting this in case someone else was in my boat and didn't have much $$$ and thought they needed a $20K to get a nice bagger.....you don't.
I thought I did. Not bashing HDs but the freakin' Nomad rocks. About 2/3rds of the riders I got out with are on HDs and they could care less what you ride so "fitting in" wasn't an issue. Anyway that's my honest review.

Old 01-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Road Glider
Tourer

Sure it's not CHEAPskater69... Sorryhad to say it!

Old 01-01-2007, 05:55 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior

Does my yamaha look like a Harley ? I saved a lot of cash , they told me at the dealer it looks like the real deal .

[IMG]local://upfiles/16696/95EFB218BB70498D88FA0CA6D4BE6803.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Road Glider
Tourer

Now that's funny![sm=funnypostabove.gif]

GO Blue!!!!

Quick Reply: Well decided to ride a metric cruiser and compare