Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well decided to ride a metric cruiser and compare

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 09:44 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Well decided to ride a metric cruiser and compare

ORIGINAL: 07RoadGlide

Ride what you want, as long as you're happy. The reason I'm in the military is to fight for folks' freedom. Whether to ride Jap/American/Brit bikes, etc. I bet every person on here owns something Japanese anyhow, whether it be their TV, DVD player, microwave or whatever.LOL Ride free and ride what YOU want!!
I have to agree with you as well,I have ownedboth metric and HD, main thing is to get the wind in your face and enjoy.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:06 PM
oley55
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

considering the negitivity of the original post,

"And the aircleaner doesn't hit my damn leg like on the HD baggers...and the floorboards are placed a little wider so my feet can actually use them and not be skirting on the edges like the HD baggers I've ridden. The brakes do not squeal and are superior. No 6th speed but 5th is a nice overdrive anyway. And the bags blow the HD baggers away...easier to open, close and store LOTS more. And I have to admit the meaty 170 rear rubber looks better than the HD popsicle tire."

there sure are a lot of kind and gentle HDriders/readers on this forum. for all the; "that's why'sit better" baloney this postfits betteron your favoritemetric forum!

Hey I got an idea, let's all go over to the metricsforum.com and tell them why we didn't buy a metric.

a duck by any other name is a duck! let's knock off the pandering and political correctness BS. he just dumped in our punch bowl and we're pretending it's not a t*rd. but I could be mistaken, NOT!

Old 01-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Road Glider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really don't really care what he rides either. As long as he's on two wheels, he's a brother. I just don't understand why he even posted his decision.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:34 PM
safetony
6th Gear

I wasn't going to comment on this thread, but I feel that I need to. I can't believe this thread is still going. Who gives a damn what this guy rides. This is a HD Forum, so why did he even post. He is justifying what he bought to himself. If this makes him feel better, then so be it. I rode my first Harley in 1978. Has a Honda at the time. When I rode that Harley, that's all I ever wanted from that time on. I bought my first Harley in 1980. A sportster. Traded it in for a Superglide in 1983. Loved it. I am now on my 5th Harley. A 2003 FLHT. Best bike I have ever owned. Bought it new. It now has over 50,000 miles on it. I did go about 10 years without a motorcycle. I sold a 1980 FLH in 1989 for $2500. Yea, I know, hard to believe. I never had any intention of going 10 years without another Harley, but he prices shot out of site when the Yuppies started buying Harleys left and right. I could no longer afford to buy one. I could afford to buy a rice burner, but I told myself I would not buy another motocycle until I could afford to buy a anotherHarley. Finally around 1999, maybe even 2000, I bought an old 1978 Ironhead Sportster. Rode it until I traded it in on the FLHT. I guess what I am trying to say, either your a Harley man or yournot. I'd walk before a buy a jap bike. Personally I don't give a damn what you ride. Justify what you bought all you want and good luck with it. Oh by the way, I do prefer riding with other Harleys as well. They are the real thing, not another look a like. But, if I ever see you broke down on the side of the rode, I will pull over and offer to help you. Ride safe.

Thanks,
Tony

Old 01-04-2007, 12:59 AM
zorro
Cruiser

Ride what you want who cares -

I didn't read this whole thread but I got to believe there must have been some Metric bashing contained within... LOL - If I go over to the Honda board and start in with Kudo's about Harley's I know what I'm gonna get it's all about fun and having a good time nothing to get personal about ...

Old 01-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I almost did the same thing and went with a metric due to $$$. But It's your money, and you can buy whatever you want. Have fun, enjoy,and be safe.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:57 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 515 Likes on 358 Posts

In 1987 I bought the 1974 SuperGlide that my Dad had purchased brand new. At the time I had a cherry 1982 Honda CBF 900. Guess what I rode (most) all of the time. Yup, the Harley. It was a typical mid 70's AMF Harley. Carry an allen wrench in your pocket to tighten the (one) exh flange bolt on each pipe at every few stops. The wiring. All the typical problems. The Bendex carb (now there was a fine unit -- NOT!!) It was an 86" stroker (when I got done with it) So it was a handfull. It'd go pretty good though .(Not anywhere near as fast as that Honda) But I would not have traded that Harley for 100 jap bikes !! After that I had a 1984 (Shovelhead) LowRider , the last year for them. Great bike ! Little or no problems. Minor sh__. Learned my lesson about CCI electrical parts. And now I have the 00 Heritage. It's a hard riding SOB. Truthfully the Shovel had a nicer ride, just more vibes, but I still feel the same way. I wouldn't trade that Heritage for 100 jap bikes !!!!!!!! A bagger is next for me !!!! I love the sitting posn and the ride. I knowthis post ismore than .02 but sheesh !!!! If you are gonna buy a jap bike, buy one that LOOKS like a jap bike and be proud of it (or whatever).
But don't buy a wannabe Harley. Those make real Harley riders sick !!!

Old 01-05-2007, 05:08 AM
tanq
Cruiser

After reading all of this I feel like I'm justified to reply (maybe cause I'm a little bored at work). Anyhow, here's my list of previous plastic chrome-
1980 Honda CR 125 Elsinore-Blew Up
1974 Yamaha DT 175 Enduro-Very fun at 16
1981 Honda CM400T- First Street Bike-Owned for One year
2002 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 - Owned for Six Months- Not enough power
2004 Honda VTX 1300C-Sweet bike-Didn't look right with bags-Soaked up about two grand in accessories
2000 Valkyrie Interstate-Owned for one month-Power cruiser-Not the real deal-Bought it right-Sold it for more
2002 Ultra Classic- Won't be giving this one up for a long time
The Harley IS the real deal. You can tell that they've been making bikes for a long time with the riding position and the comforts of the machine. I always talked myself into believing that I had made the best choices with last three Honda's. In the long run they just didn't do it for me. Wasted a lot of money figuring it out too. Glad I didn't wait too long- I'm only 27 and have lots of years to enjoy the ride of the one and only. Good luck with the Kawi- See ya back in about six months with some more logical posts.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:16 AM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior

Wow, this thread has everything from "fat chicks" to "retards"!

I agree w/ everyone that said they started on a metric and wanted a Harley all along. I did the same - sort of:

I want full circle (what goes around comes around). I started on a 1976 Superglide back in the early 90's. Loved it, but it cost me too much at the time to keep it up, it was tired and needed some serious $ to stay alive, that I didn't have. Through the years, i've had a few jap bikes from sport bikes to metric cruisers. Never held on to them for more than one year.

Finally in '04 I bought what I was always eyeing - a HD (deuce). Took it in the @ss when I sold my VTX1800. Rode the deuce and loved t. Upgraded to the 06 FLHXI to ride 2 more comfortably. I started on an HD, and will never go back to metric, for many reasons. Not bashing metrics, because some are fast, some are reliable, but none are what I consider the real thing.

If you want the metric, good for you. I'd ride with you cause your on 2 wheels, but I'd rib you every chance I got on your Kawi-davidson.

And I love this quote:

ORIGINAL: AcidRayn

i truly hope that all those metric owners enjoy supporting foreigners just cuz they saved a few bucks. do me a favor, and ride your metric on over to wallmart, i hear the chinese people are a bit under fed this week.

i have not seen it here, so i'll put it here

BE AMERICAN, BUY AMERICAN, SUPPORT AMERICA!

Since I'm in the manufacturing world for work, I couldn't agree more. And for those that say that the "parts of HD are made over seas" is true, but at least your putting food on the table of all the HD employees over in York, PA!

Walmart sucks. Something like 90% of walmart **** is made in china.

To sum it up - Glad your on 2 wheels, enjoy your new bike, but you won't see me on one again. Buy American when you can, think of who your really supporting i.e. - engineers, assemblers, etc. Don't buy a friggin' thing from Wally-world, 'cause you'll support communism. Fat chicks and retards can be fun too ya know!

Old 01-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Benrae
Novice

I have ridden metric's for years (BMW). Bought a HD just for a change. It should come down to what you like and not what you feel other people will think. Speeding tickets cost the same no matter which bike you ride.

Quick Reply: Well decided to ride a metric cruiser and compare