Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well decided to ride a metric cruiser and compare

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 12:24 PM
JeffSG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Well decided to ride a metric cruiser and compare

rdam couldn't have expressed my thoughts more clearly on this subject.You have an open invitation to ride with me anytime, too!

Ride safe and drop in from time to time.

ORIGINAL: rdam

The Nomad is a nice ride. But until you own a Harley, you really won't know what you're missing. It's not for everyone. Among the many reasons I bought one is American pride. It is truly an American Icon....Sitting in my garage. That matters to me. It's what almost ALL kids picture in their minds eye when they think "motorcycle". It's what many of us have dreamt of owning since we were kids. It's like a 60's or 70's muscle car. Not perfect, but uniquely American, and no Japanese knockoff can compare. Truthfully, the Nomad is probably better engineered, faster, smoother and less expensive to maintain.But that's not why we owned muscle cars...or Harley's.

"If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand", is a H-D catchphrase that I "didn't understand" until afterI purchased. You are welcome to ride with me anytime, as I enjoy riding...period. But until you own and ride a Harley, you won't really understand.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,451 Likes on 4,364 Posts

Just ride and enjoy Man... that's what's important!

Old 01-02-2007, 01:26 PM
BaggerSam
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can say is that there isn't a subsitute for Harley Davidson. I almost purchased a Honda Gold Wing over my 2007 Electra Glide Ultra. I woke up and realized I was getting ready to make a big mistake. I have HD in the blood.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:52 PM
ImaDozzie
Stage III

ORIGINAL: wnogood

My motorcycle history.....

I wanted a Harley.....I bought a metric

I wanted a Harley.....I bought a bigger metric

I wanted a Harley.....I bought a metric that looked and sounded like a Harley

I wanted a Harley.....I finally bought a Harley

No matter what the metric dealer tells you there really is no substitute for the genuine article.....

nogood o~`o
I was gonna make a reply but you said it my way;
The only thing, I had to "afford" a Harley-Davidson first of all, honestly I had my minutes of doubt after making the decision to buy a H-D after owning a VTX and other Honda bikes...........well my 06 SG has amost 7k miles, no leaks, no problems whatsoever and it't been fun to ride.
No mistake here.............I love it.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:29 PM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No way, No how. E V E R ![sm=laughat.gif]

Old 01-02-2007, 04:50 PM
QT Hush
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some people arejustnot Harley- Davidson material.
What do you fill the gas tank with, Uncle Bens?
Enjoy your ride, you like what you like.
I have trouble understanding why some folks think that any other motorcycle looks like an H-D. If you can't tell the difference by looking, you haven't been riding long or you are blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:58 PM
stglideblk
Cruiser

nice bike and it will be much less maint than a harley. i bought 06 sg and have moree **** go wrong with it than all others combined, 3 rice burners and 2 amf harleys. i ride about 2000 miles per month and high mileage harleys dont have any better resale than anything else. enjoy your scoot amin thing is to ride.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: QT Hush
I have trouble understanding why some folks think that any other motorcycle looks like an H-D. If you can't tell the difference by looking, you haven't been riding long or you are blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.
A motorcycle rider can most likely tell the difference, even froma distance (well a cruiser rider, I'll bet most of the sportbike riders wouldn't be able to tell the difference!), but the average cager isn't going to be able to tell except by close inspection (unless you have neon lights saying H-D or Honda on your bike).

Old 01-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: stglideblk

nice bike and it will be much less maint than a harley. i bought 06 sg and have moree **** go wrong with it than all others combined, 3 rice burners and 2 amf harleys. i ride about 2000 miles per month and high mileage harleys dont have any better resale than anything else. enjoy your scoot amin thing is to ride.
Maintenence will be the same overall. You got a little unfortunate because of the year and type of bike you bought. Keep in mind the SG was a new model in 06, and seemed to haveit's shareof problems as a result (bad injectors, radio, etc. etc.) Same with the people that bought 07's, those are completely new models, and only time will really find the kinks that need to be worked out. The TC88's that came out in 99 had their share of issues too for that matter.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:17 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 515 Likes on 358 Posts

Well, there are two types of people in this world . . .
Harley riders and everybody else !!!

Quick Reply: Well decided to ride a metric cruiser and compare