Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well decided to ride a metric cruiser and compare

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 10:36 AM
SGLarry
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Well decided to ride a metric cruiser and compare

Sorry about that, LOL! I sure do like my SG, Though. It's what I was looking for.
Yeah, It sure is tough these days in the "global economy" to buy things soley manufactured in the USA.I've been a selfemployed Dental Lab Technician for 30 years. ( I make "teeth,"ie. crowns , bridges and implants for dentists.) Believe it or not, in the past few years there are now dental labboratories that operate as "shell" labs and just repackage the dentist's cases and ship them to China, Mexico, etc. at a lot less expensive fees. The quality and materialsare not as good but a lot of the "cheap bastards" are going for it. ( Of course they are'nt passing on the savings to the patients,hehe.) At 52 years old , I'm fightin' the good fight to stay competative by offering high quality and "kiss ***" customer service while keeping price competative.
Larry

Old 01-02-2007, 10:38 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

I think the Jap bike industry is GOOD for Harley. With the rapid deprieciation on Kaw's and Honda's, bikes like this and VTX 1300's and 1800's are great ways for guys to own a bike for a year or two while they are saving up for their Harley. I learned to ride on a friends Kaw. It lets guys get up on two wheels and lets them enjoy hanging with other riders and the to enjoy the wind in their face.

I actually think while there are some guys who buy a bike like this Kaw and ride it for 20 years, many, many buy it and trade up in a year or two, without losing much money. Don't knock the jap bikes - they are like Double A ball for Harley riders...

Old 01-02-2007, 10:43 AM
cdale976
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice looking ride skater. sayn you did alright for the bucks...really who gives a rats *** what anyone else thinks.
two wheels, wind ,and a couple of friends

Old 01-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Fastlane
Tourer

Skater69 lets say that if jap bikes are as good as 69 in your screen name Harleys are like 77. 69 plus 8 more = 77

Old 01-02-2007, 10:49 AM
nelsonrl
Cruiser

The Nomad is a nice bike. Thats what I sold to buy my 07 Ultra Glide. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Nomad. It was an '01 that I bought new. I am making an apples to oranges comparision here, but one thing I found quickly - the Nomad is not (for me and my wife anyway) built for a long ride. It is just not comfortable enough. Plenty of power and handled well. Downside was comfort and range - I was lucky to get 130 miles from a tank of gas.

I did not buy the Harley for the image, I honestly thought it was the most comfortable and best looking touring bike I could find and there really is nothing else like it. I looked at Goldwing, BMW, Yamaha and Harley. Nothing else came close FOR ME. Everyone is built different. Enjoy your purchase. I spent 5 years on my Nomad and enjoyed every minute of it.

All said, congratulations on your purchase. You will enjoy it.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Toyman
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned and rode many metrics over the years before I could finally afford the Ultra I have now. I have to admit the Kawi Vulcan Classic 1500 is one hell of a bike as it was my last one and it was kind'a hard to let her go but there just isn't anything like having the "Real Thing" instead of something that has been made to look like it.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:08 AM
uniondog1
Intermediate

Congrats on the new bike. I can't get enough of my Ultra but I will tell you the jap bikes I've owned GW, Valkyrie, CB750 were great. Still have a couple of of the 750's (72 & 74) on stock one chopped. GW was a boring machine but very dependable - Valk was the best Americam made Jap bike ever. Ride what ya like and rie it hard. Your Bike is like your O'l Lady - Ain't nobody going to be ridin her but you - so whats it matter what somebody else think about her -

UD

Old 01-02-2007, 11:18 AM
swomack
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a Vulcan 1500 & 1600. The 1500 I sold to get the Ultra. Nice bike but a 1500 with everything you can do to it power wise will not run as good as my Ultra did stock. Go to VROC.org and read about the timing chain failures and what it costs to fix.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Cache
Tourer

My first sled was a 1500 Nomad. Wanna know why? Cuz it was the closest thing that looked like a HD! No sh*t!

Like another Ricky said, doesn't matter how much $$$ I spent, it still wasn't a HD and something was always missing!

My next ride was a Valk I/S, nice bike, but not a HD, after that, a 1500 GoldWing, still not a HD.Finally broke down, no pun intended and

bought a 2006Ultra Classic. I should have taken all the money I wasted on the other bikes and just bought the HD---

the bike I really wanted from the get-go! Not to be confused with the ghetto!

Start a new postin a few months telling what HD you bought. Let us know how much you get for the Come-n-s*ck-me..errrr Kamasaki

Old 01-02-2007, 11:49 AM
smknflms
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

..if I had the money I'd have a garage full of bikes to keep my Buell chopand SG company.. really like a Kawasaki ZRX1200R, Yamaha YZ 125, Busa, old Norton, maybe a old Triump or BSA. Love motorcycles...all motorcycles. It's about riding.
Later

Quick Reply: Well decided to ride a metric cruiser and compare