Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing amp for Limited

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 03:32 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fairing amp for Limited

Looking for a fairing amp for my '12 Limited. I know I will have to move the CB module. There seems to be a few ways of doing that.

The problem I am having is finding something that will work with 2-ohm speakers, will drive all four speakers, and will have a simple plug-and-play install besides the power wires. I don't want to have to cut or splice anything.

At first i was going to order the Boom! fairing amp, but the product description eluded to a wire harness that might be needed, but without a part number. I don't want to spend $400 on an amp if I don't know all the parts I need.

I also want to keep my HD Boom! speakers, so the Rokkr 500 watt amp is too strong.

The only one I have found so far that might fit my criteria is from Hogtunes, but the description isn't very helpful with regards to a plug-and-play wire harness.

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/.../4405-0231.htm

Suggestions?

Last edited by Pioneer74; 04-25-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:10 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Suggestion: If you haven't already done so, go to Hogtunes' website and you'll find an in-fairing amp that meets your requirments.

IMO, "plug and play" is grossly over-rated when it comes to installing an amp. The hardest part is running a power wire (w/fuse) to the battery and installing the ground wire for the amp. Using the OEM speaker wires as inputs to the amp, and supplying new wires for the outputs from the amp to the speakers is basically buying some simple crimp terminals and attaching them to readily available 16/18 ga. speaker wire.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

PS: It helps a lot to have the HD Service Manual's wiring diagram to understand the audio wiring on the bike.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:18 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
IMO, "plug and play" is grossly over-rated when it comes to installing an amp. The hardest part is running a power wire (w/fuse) to the battery and installing the ground wire for the amp. Using the OEM speaker wires as inputs to the amp, and supplying new wires for the outputs from the amp to the speakers is basically buying some simple crimp terminals and attaching them to readily available 16/18 ga. speaker wire.
As an industrial electrician, I have found that the more splices and crimps you have in your wiring, the more problems you have. That is the reason I don't want to splice anything. The power and ground will not be a problem, I just don't want to start hacking up the leads in and out of the factory stereo/wire harness.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:26 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Pioneer, I am in the same boat sorta speak that you are. If your wanting it louder then the amp will help, if your wanting more bass then it want. You need to call Biketronics. They make a plug and play amps that have a lifetime warranty and there speakers sound awesome. Ypo can buy a set of 6.5" speakers and a amp combo for $550 that will blow you away with a full 30 day money back gaurentee. I have a brand new set of Boom Speakers that I'm not happy with. I know , I know, I'm the only one here that don't like them but they won't carry any bass, there just louder.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:44 AM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
As an industrial electrician, I have found that the more splices and crimps you have in your wiring, the more problems you have. That is the reason I don't want to splice anything. The power and ground will not be a problem, I just don't want to start hacking up the leads in and out of the factory stereo/wire harness.
You watched the Hogtunes install video for the 40.4 Amp, right? Looks pretty simple to me, and no cutting and splicing. In fact, it looks like a piece of cake, and no need to be moving the CB module. I don't have the factory XM module, so for me that's a non-issue. Don't know if you do. Good luck with your search. Mine is on it's way to me.
P.S. Got mine, brand new on EBay, for 100 dollars less than buying it direct from Hogtunes.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:50 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
I'm not "an industrial electrician," nor am I a tech or audio professional, but how do you think the folks who are supplying a wirng harness with a kit assemble the wiring harness? Of course, they supply wires with terminals that are crimped (and perhaps soldered; and, perhaps assembled to be inserted into OEM connectors.)

Nevertheless, Hogtunes can supply what you want in terms of a complete wiring harness.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 04-25-2012, 08:07 PM
jay87LX
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a '12 Limited as well and wanted to do all 4 speakers and an amp- I am think I am going to go with this
The Bagger Nation Ultra “Supreme” 75EX System
http://www.baggernation.com/products-stereo.htm
comes with the RF amp, 6.5" speakers for the front, 5'25" for the rear, speaker adapters, wiring harness and instructions

Old 04-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jay-s
I have a '12 Limited as well and wanted to do all 4 speakers and an amp- I am think I am going to go with this
The Bagger Nation Ultra “Supreme” 75EX System
http://www.baggernation.com/products-stereo.htm
comes with the RF amp, 6.5" speakers for the front, 5'25" for the rear, speaker adapters, wiring harness and instructions
Thank you for that link. I am looking for alternatives to the Hogtunes amp. As nice as it looks, and as easy as the install looks to be because you don't have to relocate the CB module, the reviews I have seen on it make me leery about purchasing it.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:04 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would ditch the stock speakers and add an Arc Audio amplifier.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:14 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hawg wired sells a "Dummy Module" that mounts next to your cb and then allows you to mount an amp on top of the dummy and cb. Very easy.