Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any former wide glide riders here??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:45 PM
Groucho1
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Any former wide glide riders here??

Hi all...I currently have an 05 Wide Glide, possibly buying a road king... I would like a little more comfort for those long rides and a good place to put my stuff in the bags.
Can you comment on the difference in the ride? Slow speed-Traffic-overall handling?
I am 5'9" and find myself always reaching with my tip toes to hold the bike up...will the RK be any easier?

Old 04-24-2012, 11:23 PM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho1
Hi all...I currently have an 05 Wide Glide, possibly buying a road king... I would like a little more comfort for those long rides and a good place to put my stuff in the bags.
Can you comment on the difference in the ride? Slow speed-Traffic-overall handling?
I am 5'9" and find myself always reaching with my tip toes to hold the bike up...will the RK be any easier?
Probably not the road king is wider, go sit on some at the dealer to see where your toes are. I went from a Glide to a Ultra, but i'm 6' once you get used to it its not to hard to hold up, but you can lower the king if need be. Good luck!!

Old 04-25-2012, 12:10 AM
WetSider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went from a '98 WG to a '12 RK recently. Aside from all the really nice changes made over the past decade+, the RK handles like a dream by comparison. Slow speed, sweepers whatever. A major upgrade to me. I'm 6'4 so seat height was of minimal concern, but the King is a LOT wider, so that took a bit of getting used to after years riding with pegs/extended forwards.

As for comfort - especially for two up riding, the King rules IMHO.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:37 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

I am under 5-5 and went from 98 wide glide I rode for 12 yrs to 10 street glide. Make the bike fit you not that big of a deal. Handling easy at slow speed very stable feeling compared to the wide glide flop. At speed the bigger bike rides like a caddy.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:40 AM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WetSider
Went from a '98 WG to a '12 RK recently. Aside from all the really nice changes made over the past decade+, the RK handles like a dream by comparison. Slow speed, sweepers whatever. A major upgrade to me. I'm 6'4 so seat height was of minimal concern, but the King is a LOT wider, so that took a bit of getting used to after years riding with pegs/extended forwards.

As for comfort - especially for two up riding, the King rules IMHO.
subscribed

Old 04-25-2012, 12:50 AM
angelrod
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can get a narrow. seat , lower seat . or lower the bike a bit . touring bikes is the best for a long haul. that's why. they call it .TOURING . but avoid the seats with stitches on top . trust me those thing. will leave a marks . there is a lot of road kings around ask . them . or ask permission to seat on ther bike . good luck .

Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 AM
greendragon52
Tourer
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

Switched from a '01 WG to a '04 EGC, and then a '10 EGC. Yes, there is a difference in the ride. My '10 EGC is a pleasure to ride and comfortable. I agree with the other posts that changing the seat to a narrower one would help, as well as lowering the bike. Other recommendations that I have seen are to rent a bike and see how you feel riding it before buying.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

A Road King will ride circles around a Wide-Glide any day of the week as far a handling. The only thing you will wonder is why you waited so long to switch.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:36 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

I came from a 98 DWG eventually buying my RK and Im 5-8 (31 inseam). The DWG hurt my degenerating back terribly and it wasnt very comfortable for touring ..Your going to love the ride but your going to have the reach and weight to adapt to. The RK is fast, maneuverable, and comfortable on long rides. The newer frame is stable. If you buy one give yourself time to get used to the weight and whatever you do dont get cought with your bars turned all the way in either direction in any kind of downgrade or it will lay itself down on ya...ask me how I know. Once you have 500-600 miles youll have it down and will be riding like you stole it and it will give it to you with change..
You will find yourself talking about lowering it and getting a differant seat...but thats all part of customizing your ride.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Groucho1
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like what everyone I have talked to said as well. Now to decide whether to plop down 10 G's more to upgrade to a 2012 RK.
Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: Any former wide glide riders here??