Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took on The Dragon @ Deals Gap and Lost

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 08:18 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Took on The Dragon @ Deals Gap and Lost

Some of the worst offenders riding the dragon are the local sportbikers who view the dragon as their personal racetrack and intend to show everyone exactly how good a rider they are. The dude with the yellow wing can ride but he will make some very unsafe passes. I remember our forst ride through and I was crapping bullets because I had no idea what to expect and here comes some squids blasting past in a curve throwing sparks off their power ranger suit knees. Maybe more leo presence is what is needed.since most folks ride it for the experience well within the speed limit.

Bubba

Old 01-01-2007, 08:31 PM
turtleman57
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I remember right isn't that Wolf something on the yellow wing shooting video of people running the Dragon. And yes he does ride to the limit and beyond on that yellow wing.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:33 PM
turtleman57
Road Captain

www.yellowwolfvideos.com

Old 01-02-2007, 12:26 AM
harris48cars
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Madav8tr

Fact is Deals Gap is a dangerous place for novice or expert. Best to avoid it altogether or go on weekends when plenty of people are there to warn of idiot truckers
Deal's Gap is no more dangerous than the road in front of your house. The roadway itsself isn't the problem, the moron's who frequent the place at times are the real problem. I have been there over 50 times and whether I was riding my sportbike, my supermoto, or my cruiser I have yet to have a bad time. I also disagree with the notion of the weekend being the best time to go. The weekends are absolutely filled with wannabe racers and squids and they cause alot of trouble up there. Trouble with the police and the other riders. Nothing like a no skilled dumbass trying to drag his knee in a corner while in the opposite lane. I have seen that more than a few times and have even gotten into a couple of altercations with idiots over actions like that. I will probably make 4 or 5 trips up there this coming year on my Harley, a few more on supermoto hooligan bike, but I promise you it will not be on the weekend. I would rather take my chances with a fairly rare big truck as opposed to the squids or the speed racers in thier Miata's.
Don't knbow where you live Madav8tr, but have you ever seen this in font of your house. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whVXD3ex9DA . The Gap is a very dangerous road and the only ones that think different are the ones that haven't been stung, yet. All in good time my friend, all in good time.
Gary

Old 01-02-2007, 02:08 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts

We did the Dragon and Cherohola skyway during the weekend of the honda hoot. We passed a tractor trailer but were off the road when he got to us. Luckily a guy on a crotch rocket was in front of him warning riders so we pulled off and let him pass. Thank god you guys weren't hurt.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Madav8tr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Gap is a very dangerous road and the only ones that think different are the ones that haven't been stung, yet. All in good time my friend, all in good time.
Who says I haven't been stung? I lowsided my Ducati 996S up there back in 2001 and did a lot $$ worth of damage. Ya know what though, that was my fault, not the roads fault. I picked my bike up and rode on, still had fun. Over 50 times there, I have seen alot on that road. Like I said in my first replay, the road isn't the problem, the idiots up there doing stupid sh*t is the problem. I have a bunch of video's from here also that I filmed while on my sportbikes and I see sportbike guys doing stupid sh*t most of the time but don't kid yourself please, a lot of cruiser riders(Harley guys included) wreck too. The video is a good example of what I am talking about. The guys on the bike didn't crash because of the road, he crashed because he is an IDIOT. He tried a stupid pass and the simply ran off the road for no reason. He could have easily completed that next corner if hadn't panicked. Target fixated on the ditch and ran right it into it. Yeah, that's the roads fault

Old 01-02-2007, 10:16 AM
cdale976
Road Master

Damn bro, glad you all made it. I was down the dragon last summer. Rode it early in the mornin and again mid day. mornin was quiet but miday was insane.
probably the scariest was after dark when the rice burners came out. wed night local road race.

hope ya all got your rides back up and running....

Old 01-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Stash
Tourer

Been there and done that. It's a I rode it, bought a t-shirt, look at me now, kinda place. Biggest problem I had, was trying not to get run over from behind. The crotch rocket guy's were passing me on the left and right. The Cherohala Skyway is a much nicer ride. Here's a couple of links for those of you who are interested:
http://www.dealsgap.com/
http://www.cherohala.com/

Old 01-02-2007, 11:34 AM
twin88cam
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have rode the Dragon several times always during the week to avoid "other" traffic. How about trying Hyw 28 south to HighLands,NC. Just as good but less advertised. We may not have to worry about Hyw 129 the Dragon much longer anyway if the Fed's get Interstate I-3 pushed through from I-20 to Knoxville, it makes you wonder why that small stretch of Hyw 28 from US19 north towards the gap is 4 laned.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:22 AM
bob53
Cruiser

I've driven US 129 in a car and I have to say it is very dangerous. I was driving from Nashville to NC and wanted to take a scenic route. There were idiots in cars passing me left and right on this narrow twisting barely 2 lane road. I guess the people in this area grow up running moonshine. There are too many people on the road on bikes and in cars that think they are driving in the Daytona 500. Its just a matter of time before these IDIOTS find out they don't have the skill. By the way I would not ride my EG on US 129.

Quick Reply: Took on The Dragon @ Deals Gap and Lost