Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took on The Dragon @ Deals Gap and Lost

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 12:48 PM
easyglider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Took on The Dragon @ Deals Gap and Lost

Glad everybodies ok I went to my dads in WV last weekend and route 82 into Cowen is a rode much like the Dragon only we saw more log trucks than anything and let me tell you this road is NARROW.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:20 PM
mcman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been riding in the Smokies for over 30 years and I've yet to see whatthe fascinationis withthis stretch of road. Such as this is the main reason I have never ridden it and never will. I enjoy a curvy road just as most of us do but with the amount of idiots, hmmmmm, riders that it seems everyone encounters riding Deal's Gap, I can live without it. I mean that both literally and figuratively. Glad eveyone made it through with only damage to their rides and not to themselves. My prayer is that everyone of us has a safe 2007 doing what we love to do.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:52 PM
LAWMAN
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crossing the center line is against the law whether your on a motorcycle or in this casedriving a semi. The truck driver is clearly at fault. I was up there last Summer and was going around a blind curve and a Tenn. Dept. of Transp. dump truck was BACKING UP in my lane of traffic with no spotter or anything. I'm glad I was going very slow!

Old 01-01-2007, 02:04 PM
captainhawg
Road Warrior

I agree with the "Darwin theory" weeding out sub-par-species. I have never been to the road in question, but I have seen the theory in action elsewhere. One example, was a curve, CLEARLY posted 35 mph, citizens found a biker out in the brush, doa, and troopers figured he was in excess of 100 mph, going into the curve. Too bad, Darwin wins again.....

Old 01-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Madav8tr
Road Captain

Fact is Deals Gap is a dangerous place for novice or expert. Best to avoid it altogether or go on weekends when plenty of people are there to warn of idiot truckers
Deal's Gap is no more dangerous than the road in front of your house. The roadway itsself isn't the problem, the moron's who frequent the place at times are the real problem. I have been there over 50 times and whether I was riding my sportbike, my supermoto, or my cruiser I have yet to have a bad time. I also disagree with the notion of the weekend being the best time to go. The weekends are absolutely filled with wannabe racers and squids and they cause alot of trouble up there. Trouble with the police and the other riders. Nothing like a no skilled dumbass trying to drag his knee in a corner while in the opposite lane. I have seen that more than a few times and have even gotten into a couple of altercations with idiots over actions like that. I will probably make 4 or 5 trips up there this coming year on my Harley, a few more on supermoto hooligan bike, but I promise you it will not be on the weekend. I would rather take my chances with a fairly rare big truck as opposed to the squids or the speed racers in thier Miata's.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Madav8tr
Road Captain

Federal DOT maps list 129 as a Federal roadway US. Highway 129 as associated with US Highway 29.
U.S. Highway 129 is a spur of U.S. Highway 29. It currently runs for 582 miles (937 km) from Knoxville, Tennessee to Chiefland, Florida at U.S. Highway 19 and U.S. Highway 98. It passes through the states of Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia and Florida. It goes through the cities of Knoxville, Tennessee, Athens, Georgia, and Macon, Georgia

Old 01-01-2007, 04:44 PM
turtleman57
Road Captain

The road in front of my house doesn't have 75-150 rocket jockies playing ricky road racer. I have been to the dragon many, many, times. And the last time was enough for me. Way too many idiots on high horsepower machines that don't have a clue as to how to ride and how to respect the other riders in the area. We all are not knee draggers, and some of us just for the fun of it. With people comming from all over the country and the world to ride this section of road I find it best to steer clear expecially on the weekends, and find my roads that are a little less traveled. If you must do the Dragon tue-thur are the best times. There are too many roads with wonderful view that I ride rather than watch my mirrors for some squid riding my ***, to blast around me, then to wave me over to help him pull his bike out of the woods or worse.

Old 01-01-2007, 05:26 PM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Road Glider

SG 2006,

We were all experienced riders and certainly weren't "tearing it up". Unless you'regoing 5 MPH it was unavoidable...."that we hit someone"?

I did not say you were "tearing it up". I just stated the way I ride when in that kind of situation. And yes, there are many spots on Deals Gapthat 5 MPH is the speed needed to safely make many of the switchbacks. I do agree that somthing should be done with the truck traffic to make it safer for bikes & cars.

I did not mean to imply you were riding improperly. Sorry if I was misunderstood.

Ride Safe,

Mike

Old 01-01-2007, 06:31 PM
turtleman57
Road Captain

Heck some of the turns 5 mph is going to fast, lol.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:11 PM
quad50
Cruiser

I was there (the gap) in Oct. We didn't have much trouble with the crotch rockets. Just gave them room and let them go. Most just picked there time and passed with no issue. The biggest problem wasa dude on the yellow wing. He gave no room and passed on an outside corner. If it hadn't been for a corvette slamming on the brakes giving him room, he would have been part of the hood of a pickup. This guy was the biggest MORON of the whole trip.
For someone thinking about going there I would say GO! But see everything around the Smokies, its a great ride and a beautiful part of our great country.

Quick Reply: Took on The Dragon @ Deals Gap and Lost