Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar advice???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 05:50 PM
GregX999
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Handlebar advice???

Ok, so I'm not a large guy - 5'9" on a good day. The stock bars on my Street Glide are quite comfy for short trips, but I've noticed that for anything over an hour or 90 mins, my upper back/shoulder muscles start to get sore - and stay sore for the rest of the day. I think I'm having to stretch forward/down just a little too much.

I'm planning a rather long trip in June and would like to get this sorted. I'd like to not have to deal with new cables if possible.

So, I'm looking at these three bars (so far):
- WildOne 575 Bagger Bar (http://www.wild1inc.com/BAGGER.html)
- WildOne 578 10" Bagger Ape Hanger (http://www.wild1inc.com/BAGGER.html)
- Klock Werks Ergo Back Bars (http://www.kustombaggers.com/ERGO-Ba...atalogId=-1750)

I'm leaning toward the 575s. But the 578s look tempting too.

Does anyone have any experience with these or similar bars? Should I also look at a different make, model or size?

Thanks for any advice!
Greg

Old 04-23-2012, 06:00 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 04-23-2012, 06:20 PM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

No experience with those. When I started bar shopping (and I spent a ton of time doing research) I was concerned I wouldn't be happy with the position or the look. I wound up going with a totally custom bar from BR's Custom Bars. They are being installed this week. When I mocked them up I could tell my hand position was exactly where I measured it!

Old 04-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Bgill
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

[QUOTE=GregX999;9707962]Ok, so I'm not a large guy - 5'9" on a good day. The stock bars on my Street Glide are quite comfy for short trips, but I've noticed that for anything over an hour or 90 mins, my upper back/shoulder muscles start to get sore - and stay sore for the rest of the day. I think I'm having to stretch forward/down just a little too much.

I'm planning a rather long trip in June and would like to get this sorted. I'd like to not have to deal with new cables if possible.

So, I'm looking at these three bars (so far):
- WildOne 575 Bagger Bar (http://www.wild1inc.com/BAGGER.html)
- WildOne 578 10" Bagger Ape Hanger (http://www.wild1inc.com/BAGGER.html)
- Klock Werks Ergo Back Bars (http://www.kustombaggers.com/ERGO-Ba...atalogId=-1750)

The 2004 FLHTCSE on the Wild 1 site with w0578 bars is riden by my wife. I did the install went +4" all around and would probably go +6" if I did it again.

The bars are more comfortable then the Monkey Bars on my Ultra and were a breeze to wire internally.

I think you'd be very happy too with the wo578's.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:05 PM
OH Bob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps instead of new bars, you might actually need a backrest. I've riden Electre-Glides since 1994 and could never go any distance on any of them without a backrest. Just something else to consider.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:16 AM
GregX999
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bgill
The 2004 FLHTCSE on the Wild 1 site with w0578 bars is riden by my wife. I did the install went +4" all around and would probably go +6" if I did it again.

The bars are more comfortable then the Monkey Bars on my Ultra and were a breeze to wire internally.

I think you'd be very happy too with the wo578's.
I was able to sit on a bike with the wo575s and they were okay, but I think I am going to go with the wo578s.

When you say you went +4 all around and would have gone +6, is that just brake and clutch? Or throttle/electric too?

I also was able to try out a back rest. I'm definitely getting one of those too! I never thought they'd be so comfy!

Greg

Old 05-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm pretty similar in size at 5'8" 155lbs.
I had pretty much the same pain/discomfort with the stock bars also.
On my 2006 FLHT , I installed Khromewerks +2 wide sweepers #300505.
On my current bike I run the #300515 which are the same but for TBW .
These are 2 inches higher , 2 inches closer , and 3 inches wider than stock.
These bars , a rider backrest , and ISO grips enabled me to ride hundreds of miles more per day than the stock bars.
Rider position is more upright , hands are more natural angle , stock mirrors work better.
I wasn't interested in internal wiring or a really cool look , so these fit the bill pretty well.
I only had to run a 3" longer clutch cable to make them work nicely.
There were so many great posts here , that I did them myself and saved a buttload of cash too.
Mick

Old 05-01-2012, 09:15 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm 5'7 and experienced the same pain you described. About 3,300 miles ago I installed Wild Ones 577's. These are the 12 1/2 inch Apes and I love them,no more neck and back pain. I can't help but wonder how I would have liked the 14 ich Apes.Since I was putting them on my Ultra I stayed with the 12 1/2's because I was afraid of how the mirrors would look and I didn't want to swing them under.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:38 PM
harleybill2008
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a lot of "older" people seem to develop that ache in the shoulders after long rides. I think 10" is not enough and that you will be much happier with the 12.5 or even the 14" bars. I am like you in size as well and trust me, taller is better. You want those arms and shoulders to go straight out. takes the pressure off the back and shoulders and just plain looks good. It's another thing that the factory should do. Offer to take custom orders and get the bike you want at a better price and loaded with what you want up front. But that is another story. Go tall and you can ride really good distances. We rode back from sturgis to ohio in 2 days and that was about 5-6 hundred miles per day and between the bars and the mcc padding mods in the seat , I could have kept going if not for the number of hours in the seat. trust me on this one. Oh, I have the 577's.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:44 AM
GregX999
Advanced

Thanks for the input guys. Well, I ordered the wo578s (10") yesterday. I was constantly swinging back and forth between the 10" and the 12.5", and now after reading these last two replies, I think I should have got the 12.5" instead.

It's so hard to tell. When just sitting on the bike with my hands in the approx. position of the 10", then the 12.5" bars, it seems the 10" would be better. I can't help but think the 12.5" would be higher than my shoulder.

I also just got a Corbin seat that pushes me forward a little bit. I think that should put a nice bend in my elbows. If I also get the backrest (I think I will) I should be good-to-go.

Oh well... I'll see how I like 'em. No rule says I can only swap bars once.

I'll post pics when I get them installed!

Greg

Quick Reply: Handlebar advice???