Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new head pipe discoloration

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 06:39 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
Default new head pipe discoloration

I changed out the Vance and Hines Pro pipe on my bike to the Cobra Power Port head pipe and Fuel Moto mufflers. Bike sounds awesome and I can't wait to take it down the road for a true test. So this weekend I changed the fluids and ran the bike for a few minutes to circulate the new oil as I won't be riding for at least another week with this crappy weather. I don't have the heat shields on yet and was surprised at how fast the rear head pipe particularly, turned deep purple right where the first bend is just outside the head? I expected discoloration but not that fast and to that extent. I have the PCV tuner and its tuned to my current configuration. The bike never came up to full temperature. I only ran it long enough to circulate the oils and get the head warm to the touch. Wow! Even though I expect discoloration this Just surprised me.

Last edited by Rickr01; 04-23-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:54 PM
ernster500
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I take it the heat shields covered every thing up? What are your thoughts on having them ceramic coated prior to install?

Old 04-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any non treated metal (ceramic coatings etc.) used for a exhaust/headpipe will discolor within a short time. The area close to the exhaust port & tubing bends get especially hot so its natural for them to turn quickly. The exiting exhaust flame is about 1600* F.

Heat shields do keep your body parts from getting burned severely but with HDs, its more of a cosmetic covering to keep it looking pretty.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:20 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rickr01
I changed out the Vance and Hines Pro pipe on my bike to the Cobra Power Port head pipe and Fuel Moto mufflers. Bike sounds awesome and I can't wait to take it down the road for a true test. So this weekend I changed the fluids and ran the bike for a few minutes to circulate the new oil as I won't be riding for at least another week with this crappy weather. I don't have the heat shields on yet and was surprised at how fast the rear head pipe particularly, turned deep purple right where the first bend is just outside the head? I expected discoloration but not that fast and to that extent. I have the PCV tuner and its tuned to my current configuration. The bike never came up to full temperature. I only ran it long enough to circulate the oils and get the head warm to the touch. Wow! Even though I expect discoloration this Just surprised me.
interested in the comparison to the ProPipe.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by joflewbyu2
interested in the comparison to the ProPipe.

I did not notice any seat of the pants difference. However, she starts easier, just like she did when new prior Pro Pipe, idles smoother and sounds Ohhhhh so much better. No more drone and no more down hill burbling. It could have as much to do with the new tuner map installed for this configuration? Fuel Moto pre loaded both maps for me on my PCV. With the Pro pipe, I was contemplating having it checked on a Dyno. With this new configuration she could not possibly run any better so I'm leaving it alone.