Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF! Brand New 2012 Ultra need to open fairing - Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012 | 12:22 PM
StevenRK
|
Intermediate

Since I don't have a service manual, YET...it appears there are a million (or so) screws, etc to take fairing apart and lots of fit to put back together. My concern is..is it difficult to get fairing back together and have good fit?

Old 04-22-2012 | 12:25 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

Take it back to the dealer you bought it from.
It's still under warranty.

Old 04-22-2012 | 12:32 PM
WoodsHog
Tourer

Seven screws and unhook the headlight wiring.Like it was said before,10 min.job.You will be more careful than the dealer and get to know your bike.As far as the fit when you put it back together,it will be just like it is now.Not a big deal.

Old 04-22-2012 | 12:33 PM
big TYME
Cruiser

Simple job. Cover front fender with a towel. Remove 3 screws at the top that hold the windshield. Remove 2 torx screws on inside outer edge(1 on each side). Turn bars completely right and look under the fairing thru the fork and remove Allen screw. Turn bars left and remove other allen screw. Be sure to have someone hold the fairing. While they are supporting it. Simply push the trip button back thru and screw on plastic nut and boot. If u want to completely remove the fairing away from bike just squeeze the headlight connect buttons inward and it will disconnect. Reassemble. Done in less than 15 min.

Old 04-22-2012 | 12:35 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by StevenRK
Since I don't have a service manual, YET...it appears there are a million (or so) screws, etc to take fairing apart and lots of fit to put back together. My concern is..is it difficult to get fairing back together and have good fit?

It's just 4 Torx head (T27) Screws to pop the outer fairing off, It is really no big deal.

EDIT, plus the 3 windshield screws

Last edited by steelerdude1; 04-22-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-22-2012 | 12:51 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member

What did you expect for $25k? Take it back to the dealer. That way if they **** it up it's their problem.

Old 04-22-2012 | 01:00 PM
z71_fourwheelin
Road Captain

Another thought... Is remove the three windshield screws and loosen the 2 inner fairing screws and open from top reach your hand in and push back through and screw rubber bootie back on.

Old 04-22-2012 | 01:02 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

Back to the dealer. It's not a big job. If you want the garage door opener, that would be something to possibly have them do while it's open. I wouldn't do the oil temp gauge. They are no more accurate than the air temp gauge.

Oh, and you could give them some crap about this. Possibly get a gift card out of the dealer for needing to bring back a NEW bike. I'm sure they charged you a "setup fee" Supposedly, that is because they check EVERYTHING on the bike before delivery.

Last edited by SportyPig; 04-22-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-22-2012 | 01:05 PM
BlkVlvtRydr
Advanced

I had a similar issue when I brought mine home. The speaker on the right had side was not mounted flush against the inner fairing. The nearest dealership is 1.5 hours away and I am pretty handy with tools. I just took the fairing off to find that the bottom screw wasn't even inserted into the correct hole. It was cocked off to the right and therefore would draw the speaker in correctly. Quick fix and back on the road. Have no fears. Like it has already been said. Just a few bolts and headlight connector.

Old 04-22-2012 | 02:21 PM
StevenRK
|
Intermediate

Thanks guys for input. I never had a fairing before...so this is new ground for me. My only experiences is when I've had new cars that needed work inside dash....and it seemed like after dash was opened...things rattled and never fit like it did before work was done. I'm hoping this isn't as complex so that I don't end up with a good fit again.

Sounds like it's almost easy enough for me to do...but since bike is just a week old, I'll let dealer do it. Since I didn't expect button to fall in, I didn't pay any attention to what was missing from button. I'm guessing a plastic nut...and can't ever remember seeing a rubber boot mentioned in earlier replies.

Quick Reply: WTF! Brand New 2012 Ultra need to open fairing - Recommendations