Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No fire from the plugs? WTH

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Iamdent1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to let you guys in on what I learned in the last couple of days.
1. Spark plugs will not fire with both plugs out of the bike! Read the manual duh.
2. If you ain't done nothing else to the bike then what you are working on is probably the problem. Spent 2 days chasing my tail on stuff that didn't matter when I should have been looking at what I had already done.
3. If it says to line the dots up - LINE THE STUPID DOTS UP. I didn't have the spindle sprocket and the outter cam sprocket properly aligned. Once I did that bike fired up on the first turn of the crank. WOW. Do I feel stupid.
4. I don't care how many HD dealers tell you "not to worry about the cam chain tensioners on a pre 07 bike" you better listen to the folks that know. The CAM CHAIN TENSIONERS are an issue! I've had 3 different dealers tell me I shouldn't worry about them, that it was a minority of the bike with that problem.....BS! I've got 35,000 on my 06 and they were worn out. Luckily I finally took you guys advise and checked them. I thought I was special.........NOT!

5. AND MOST IMPORTANT! There are some really great people on Harley Davidson Forum sites.

Once again thanks to everyone who helped me out with this project. Especially Big Jim from Holeshot. Hope our paths cross someday.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:40 PM
EG-2006
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Glad you got it worked out and quit beatin up on yourself. I doubt that you're a mechanic and kudos to you for taking on the project and working out what went wrong.
I'm about to tackle this same project this week. I'm no mecahnic and I expect mistakes to be made. 40k on my tensioners and mine are worn out also. Good time to replace the cams with Andrews TW21's.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Iamdent1
Cruiser

OH go for it EG! It really is a good little project and it's really not that tough, other than getting the danged exhaust header out of the way and back on. Just be sure and read and follow the instructions. Another one of those things people kept telling me was to get myself a true HD service manual. That's real good advice that thing is great, if a man will read it. Hahaha. The actual plate and cam conversion not a biggie.

I don't know about the 21's that's the direction I was leaning but I was told by a couple different guys I would be happier with the 204's. I haven't got to ride mine yet but I know it sounds a lot better I think I'm gonna be happy with them from discussions I've had.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:16 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Hey,most of us learn by our mistakes!
Bet it feels nice that you fixed it.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:25 PM
HoleShotChoppers
Intermediate

ONE IN A ROW!!! Good job! Let me know what you think when you get her on the road. I am sure those hills will seem flatter with those cams.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:41 PM
inthechateau
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had 50K on my 99 before I checked the original tensioners. had 50% left on them. I'm jumping back in to throw a set of 203 cams in it this year. let us know how you like them 204's.