Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rinehart Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 10:50 AM
pigbike
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rinehart Suggestions

I am trying to quiet down a set of Rinehart true duals on a 2005 Ultra. I pulled the baffles and wrapped them first with a few layers of fiberglass cloth, and then the stranded fiberglass baffle material from a set of Kerker mufflers. This didn't make them any more quiet then they were before.

Someone suggested to pull the baffles out again and drill two holes thru the baffles and place 1/4 bolts thru the baffles at different angles so to make a cross inside the baffle. They said this will disrupt the exhaust flow, and quiet it down some.

Has anyone done this??? Did it work??

Old 04-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Sold mine...I tried to wrap them and it helped some but not enough...There is no real solution to this other than what I did...

Old 04-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Rineharts are all about being as loud as possible. Any performance they offer is a side effect. *LOL*

You could try installing cones into the end of each header. Big City Thunder makes a baffle that goes into the end of the header that has a cone attached to it. They call it the QQ. That is probably as quiet as you'll get those Rineharts. Since loudness is subjective there is no way to tell if that will quiet them down enough for you. TheMouth is very likely correct.
Oh, almost forgot, I think Rinehart does make a quieter set of baffles but I don't know anything about them and what the definition of quieter is.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:32 AM
CopInDixie
6th Gear

I will trade you straight up for a set of stock pipes. Hell.........I will even pay the shipping!

Old 04-21-2012, 11:32 AM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

If they are the newer Rhinos manufactured by Clearline (instead of BUB) you can install the 2" quiet baffles, the standard is 2.25"

Old 04-21-2012, 11:44 AM
pigbike
Advanced

They are the BUB ones.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:51 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Just an FYI on those cones. I have researched this exact issue of quieting these down and I have yet to find a solution. Those cones will take ALL of your top end away. If they are too loud short of either using ear plugs on long trips OR replacing them the ONLY real solution is to replace them. My 2 cents worth. I would love to find a solution that actually worked. After two years of trying ALL of these options (wrapping them with fiberglass packing, cones, bolts, bolts with a washer and the famous quiet baffles) I just gave up.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:03 PM
pigbike
Advanced

I called Rinehart(as probably others have), and they have no solution either. As these pipes were already on the bike, I will live with them until I can't stand them any longer and replace them. You would think Rinehart would have a fix for them, as there's many people who would like them quieter. Guess they just don't care. Oh well there's plenty of other choices, if Rinehart doesn't care about their product.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by pigbike
I called Rinehart(as probably others have), and they have no solution either. As these pipes were already on the bike, I will live with them until I can't stand them any longer and replace them. You would think Rinehart would have a fix for them, as there's many people who would like them quieter. Guess they just don't care. Oh well there's plenty of other choices, if Rinehart doesn't care about their product.
As you said, "plenty of other choices". As I said "They are all about being as loud as possible"

You are the 1% minority that inherited one of the loudest, if not THE loudest, pipes you can buy and don't like loud pipes. Why should Rinehart have an answer for you? You are not their customer as you did not buy the pipes. There are NOT "many" people that want them quieter. People that want quieter buy something else. It's like buying a monster truck and saying you want great gas mileage. Go buy some QUIET pipes and thank God you have one of the more popular pipes that you will be able to sell on this site in the classifieds.

Enjoy your new bike and ride safe...

Old 04-21-2012, 05:52 PM
oasis03
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Removed mine and installed stock 06 screaming eagle mufflers. I gave them to a friend and he ran them on one trip and took them off. I tried wrapping them in wire screen and then with fiber glass cloth and then mat fiber glass and still too LOUD.

Quick Reply: Rinehart Suggestions