Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour pack removal guys - in here please

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012 | 02:44 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by badcat222
Hey EnglishAdam, what year model is your Scoot. I put the detach kit on my 09 Ultra. On mine, you have to unplug the speakers at the speaker, and pull the antenna wires through the grommets, and unplug the brakelights under the tourpak liner. If their is an easier way I would love to know about it.

Instead of the HD antenna extensions, you can buy 1' antenna patch cords at Best Buy and similar stores. HD sells the electrical patch cord for about $15 separately.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 04-21-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-21-2012 | 03:22 PM
michaelnmississippi
Advanced

I purchased the detach kit and wiring kit. It was kinda expensive but the 2012 limited was also. That's why I could not bring myself to butchering the wiring harness . When my pack is removed I lay my harness and tour seat strap inside my left saddle bag . Install my street glide seat using seat bolt supplied in kit. Transfer my antennas from tour pack . All this takes less than 13 minutes . I love the ease of transformation

Old 04-21-2012 | 05:51 PM
EnglishAdam
|
Tourer

Mine is a 2003 and like I said in the original post, it already seems to have the 6-way connectors fitted which kinda confused me as I've seen other posts by people saying they had to fit them.

Mine doesn't have the quick detach kit though and the tour pack is bolted with 4 bolts to the small rack fitted on the fender.

I guess one of the previous owners did this mod which is ok by me and makes my life easier.

To be honest, I don't need the tour pack, it's just how I bought the bike.
When I was looking for an Anniversary model, I asked the local dealer to call me if anyone brought one in on a trade.

If the bike had happened to be a standard glide, I probably would have bought it anyway and wouldn't have bought a tour pack as extra so not having the detach kit doesn't bother me.

Old 04-21-2012 | 08:08 PM
badcat222
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Sounds like you bought just the detachable tour pak rack. HD sells a kit for '09 and newer models; the kit includes a patch cord to extend the electrical connection for the lights outside the tour pak, and an antenna extension cable (or two?) so the liner doesn't have to be removed from the TP to reach the electrical or antennas.

Instead of the HD antenna extensions, you can buy 1' antenna patch cords at Best Buy and similar stores. HD sells the electrical patch cord for about $15 separately.

Carl
I bought the wiring kit also, but I didnt see the patch cable. Maybe I just missed it, or they shorted me. Either way, I'll go pick one up. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-21-2012 | 10:29 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by badcat222
I bought the wiring kit also, but I didnt see the patch cable. Maybe I just missed it, or they shorted me. Either way, I'll go pick one up. Thanks for the info.
Here are the installation instructions for the kit I referenced:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04744.pdf

The electrical patch cord (to provide a quick disconnect for the tour pak lights outside the tour pak) is probably the "Detachable Tour Pak Harness" p/n 70032-09 referenced in the instructions on page 1.

I've edited my previous post; I mistakenly said the electrical harness is included with the kit--checking the parts list in the instructions I didn't see one mentioned.

Carl

Old 04-21-2012 | 11:01 PM
VINNIE JAMES
Road Captain

i unpluged those wires. ran a powered antena in fairing. have not put the pak back on in years

Old 04-22-2012 | 03:35 AM
covenjp
Advanced

Hi EnglishAdam, go ahead and put them wires under your seat you will be fine,some of the international HDs don't have the CB setup in the bike just the switch on the tank and the antenna on the tour pax, I have done mine just the way that you want to and I have also added the HD detachable kit/rack so if i need to add the tour pax it only takes five minutes to add it and plug things in, also Eglides look great with out the tour pax..
here is mine with and with out

Picture 923 by hardie family1, on Flickr

529409_3042707515314_1491881951_32570470_101760587 0_n by hardie family1, on Flickr

Last edited by covenjp; 04-22-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old 07-02-2012 | 09:45 AM
TheFaz
1st Gear
Default Removed mine this weekend

Thanks for all the info on the Tour Pak removal. It gave me the confidence to do my own the other night. Bought all the Deutsch connectors, etc. but didn't use them as I just disconnected the wires with the stock plugs. I do have two questions, however:

1) I did not yet remove the horse shoe shaped bar/rack on which the pak mounts. Wasn't sure how it removes, or what has to be taken off to get to the bolts holding it on. Any help?

2) This probably has nothing to do with the removal, but my bike suddenly developed an intermittent of running a real high idle on start-up for a second or two. I'm talking revs to 4+K immediately on start up, then settles back down to "normal" range. Is there anything under the seat which I could have effected with the clump of bunched up wires now residing under there? Both battery terminals are tight and intact.
Thanks!

Old 07-02-2012 | 11:00 AM
56tbird
Tourer

Originally Posted by michaelnmississippi
I purchased the detach kit and wiring kit. It was kinda expensive but the 2012 limited was also. That's why I could not bring myself to butchering the wiring harness . When my pack is removed I lay my harness and tour seat strap inside my left saddle bag . Install my street glide seat using seat bolt supplied in kit. Transfer my antennas from tour pack . All this takes less than 13 minutes . I love the ease of transformation
Does the wiring kit eliminate the need of pulling the Tour pak liner to disconnect everything, and having to unscrew the rear speakers from their Pods to disconnect? If so, I'd probably just by that kit instead. I can splice the antenna wires in my sleep.

Old 07-02-2012 | 04:41 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member

I removed my wife's 08 UC and stow all the excess wires under the seat with zip ties bought a CB antenna from a truck stop for less then $20 attached to the saddle bag in side railing and used just a wire for the radio and taped on the side of rear fender every thing is working good since last 3 years.A friend of mine did the same thing for his wife except he went with quick docking hardware for his wife but never put it back on since day one too heavy to handle.

Quick Reply: Tour pack removal guys - in here please