Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Cleaning question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 01:50 AM
Ryan Oldridge
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Cleaning question

I saw this new cleaning product on HD.com called "Quick Wash", does anyone know if is worth a worth the $8, or any other quick cleaning tips/products? I also hear that Simple Green was great for cleaning bikes. A buddy told me he will rinse "not spray" off his bikes with a hose then cover it in Simple Green, wait about 10 minutes then rinse. Any and all quick cleaning tips are appreciaed. I am just looking to keep the new bike looking new, and not have to spend hours detailing it.

Last edited by Ryan Oldridge; 04-21-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:45 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm also curious about these new detergents and I read the MSDS of the "Simple Green" product because it's sold over here...
MSDS says you can have a slight irritation of eyes and skin, it's PH is above 10, is non flammable and has less than 5% solvent.
Reading between the lines I understand this is a fine cleaning product as long as your surface remains wet during the process but you still have to carry away the dirt 'mechanically' otherwise it will be transformed in a powder/dry residue as soon as it dries.
I use tap water and wipe the bike dry because there is much less risk of scratching the surfaces. BTW all seals and connectors are designed to resist to water coming from the front

Old 04-21-2012, 07:24 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

These spray-on bike washes are pretty good when the bike is lightly soiled/dusty/rain spotted. I use Captain Richard's Cherry Bike Wash myself in these applications, and am pleased with the results. But nothing beats a good quality car wash detergent and a wash mitt to properly wash your bike. I use the bike wash in between full washes, and usually use a spray detailer afterwards to have a high gloss to the bike.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:30 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW-be careful when using Simple Green on your bike. Spraying it on undiluted will eat the wax/polish off it, and Simple Green is corrosive to aluminum. I generally avoid Simple Green on my bike, but have used it on my stock wheels on my '08 FLHTP work bike. We ride in salt/slush during the winter, and it beats the hell out of our wheels (not to mention every other part too!).

You will be better off staying on top of the cleaning so you can avoid having to use harsh cleaning products.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:33 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A harsh detergent like simple green will take off your wax you need to use something safe like Mother's car wash or Megiuiars is safe for clear coats/paints/chrome

Old 04-24-2012, 10:41 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

If it's dusty some of the quick cleaners might work okay, but use caution because they'll push dirt along the paint surface and scratch it. If it's dirty, hand wash with car detergent and water as PghCycle 24 said. Nothing can beat that.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:07 AM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have not used Simple Green in years as I found it to be very caustic and thus damaging.

S-100 Cycle cleaner expensive but well worth it.
http://www.s100.com/s100_tcc.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrvVb...eature=related

Old 04-25-2012, 12:08 AM
JWitz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use S100...works great

Old 04-25-2012, 12:23 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,262 Likes on 4,437 Posts

Regular simple green can be harmful to aluminum and is harsh on paint. While it's not cheap, I keep some "Extreme Simple Green" on hand. It was designed to clean aluminum aircraft.

I use it to wash the engines on my car/truck and occasionally on the wheels or frame on my Harley, if they get really dirty/greasy. I do avoid getting it on painted surfaces to preserve the wax.

http://industrial.simplegreen.com/in...ts_extreme.php

Old 04-25-2012, 12:26 AM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 247 Likes on 159 Posts

I'll try to answer your question. I bought the Quick Wash and have only used it once. However, it worked exactly as advertised. I wet down the scoot, sprayed it on one side at a time, waited 1-2 minutes, then sprayed it off. Repeat for the other side. Worked perfectly. Dried the scoot with my dryer and it looked great. I think it will work fine for the "in between" the serious wash/wax/chrome events, which I do about 3 - 4 times a year. Give it a try.

TedMan

Quick Reply: Quick Cleaning question