Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Cleaning question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 01:04 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Simple Green and Aluminum Embrittlement

It has been brought to the attention of the U.S. Army Aviation Missile Command (AMCOM) Depot Maintenance Engineering Team that numerous units are using the commercial product SIMPLE GREEN as an aircraft wash. STOP! This product has been through Department of Defense (DOD) testing and was determined to be highly corrosive on aircraft aluminum and also a catalyst for Hydrogen Embrittlement in high strength aircraft alloys.
Simple Green discolored my valve cover....

Help...Simple Green "clouded" my plastic panels!

hattitude Posted a link to the aluminum safe version that came about as a result of the DoD banning its use on aircraft.

Elsewhere in an article about restoring antique toys they described how to use Simple Green to gently remove paint from antique toys.

I will use it diluted to cleanup after an oil change, underneath the oil filter, but I rinse the $h!t out of it. If you spray your whole bike with it you will never get it out of all the nooks and crannies of a MC.

Last edited by Potato_Potato; 04-25-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:05 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Potato_Potato

I will use it diluted to cleanup after an oil change, underneath the oil filter, but I rinse the $h!t out of it. If you spray your whole bike with it you will never get it out of all the nooks and crannies of a MC.
Have you tried cleaning with kerosene or diesel fuel then rinsing with hot water when you have an oil spill?

Old 04-25-2012, 03:58 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I have used the HD product, and yes it works as advertised... However, i have found that Wizards has a bike wash product that works even better. Its the same concept, but in my opinion, its a far superior product to the HD line.

http://www.wizardsproducts.com/store...7&cat=0&page=2

I have been using wizards products on my bikes for several years, and could not be more pleased with the results.

Thier "Spray and Shine" is far better than Harley Gloss, and their "Shine master Polish and sealant" is one of the best I have ever tried.

Last edited by Trailfndr; 04-25-2012 at 04:00 AM.