Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of trading V&H Ovals for Monster slip-ons, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 08:35 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I used to have the V&H basic slip ons. They sounded a lot like the ovals, kinda tinny. I love the Monster Ovals. Good sound,low and deep, but not too loud. Have had mine for about 7000 miles. They got a bit louder over time, but not bad. They even get a bit louder after your bike warms up, but still very tolerable. Would not want pipes any milder. They are music to my ears, kinda like flowmasters on your hog.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mastery
I've got an 08 Ultra, with stock pipes, fuel pak, stage 1, and Vance & Hines Oval slip-on mufflers. When I got the Ovals about 10,000 miles ago, they were exactly what I was looking for. Deep bass, nice tone, definitely will bark when getting on it. As warned
Are those the Twin Slash Ovals? You do know that they make a quiet baffle for it, right?

I am looking at the Twin Slash Ovals or Rounds for my '12 FLHTK, with the FuelMoto ceramic head pipe. I want a louder sound than stock, but not so obnoxiously loud as I work midnights and don't want to make the neighbors angry when I am coming home or going to work. With the stock exhaust being a 5, where do those fall?

Old 04-20-2012, 09:09 PM
TennesseeEG
Cruiser

MOs not as loud as ovals but the MOs can pound your ears at 2500 rpms.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by flyingace
I have had both the ovals, and monster ovals. The monsters have 15000 miles on them now. They are maybe 5 percent louder than when they were new.

I can tell you, the monsters are still not as loud as my ovals were.

Here is a link to a video I put up back when the monsters had about 3000 miles on them. It is still accurate as to what they sound like today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8qorWsL8ac

I think your safe.

However, if you decide to go with the monsters, drop me a line. I MAY be selling mine, as I cam considering putting extended bags on the bike, which is a no-go with the monster ovals. Since you have an 08, mine would work perfectly for you, and save you some money. Not 100 percent sure Im gonna do it, but like I said, drop me a line if you decide you wanna go that route.
I notice you have a rider. Is it hard to communicate with her with those pipes? Do you have any droning at highway speeds? What head pipe are you using?

Watching your video, I might just go with the Twin Slash Monster Ovals....

Old 04-20-2012, 09:27 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like my monster rounds

Old 04-20-2012, 09:31 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
Are those the Twin Slash Ovals? You do know that they make a quiet baffle for it, right?l?
Problem is I don't know how quiet their quiet baffles are. I don't want to go back to stock sound.

As for whomever suggested putting on new fiberglass padding, these slip-ons don't have come with padding on them from V&H.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:49 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mastery
Problem is I don't know how quiet their quiet baffles are. I don't want to go back to stock sound.

Do you have the twin slash ovals, or the older style ovals?

Pretty sure the quiet baffles only work on the newer, twin slash version.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:52 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
I notice you have a rider. Is it hard to communicate with her with those pipes? Do you have any droning at highway speeds? What head pipe are you using?

Watching your video, I might just go with the Twin Slash Monster Ovals....
The wind noise is a bigger problem than the pipes as far as talking to the passenger. For reference sake, the camcorder she was holding in that video was basically resting on my right shoulder.

Stock 09 head pipe.

Droning, not IMO. But my ears are not your ears.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:49 AM
HD101st
Tourer

I went with High output slip ons from 3 1/2 inch and i absolutly love em nice and mellow at cruise but bark when you get on em

Old 04-21-2012, 06:45 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by flyingace
The wind noise is a bigger problem than the pipes as far as talking to the passenger. For reference sake, the camcorder she was holding in that video was basically resting on my right shoulder.

Stock 09 head pipe.

Droning, not IMO. But my ears are not your ears.
So, from reading this thread, I gather the regular twin slash ovals have a high volume, and the monster ovals have a deep rumble. Looks like that is what I'm going with. Looks like Mutt only decision left to make is either the power duels or the fuelmoto ceramic headpipe.

Thanks to the op for starting this thread.

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading V&H Ovals for Monster slip-ons, need advice